Do you take your cat on vacation with you?

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've only had our cat for just over 2 months so we're new to this. We booked a vacation for next Spring and the condo says it is pet friendly. We thought it would be nice to get a soft side carrier and bring our cat with us which would mean putting him under the seat on the airplane. Have you ever done that and is it a good or bad idea in your opinion. We have lots of time to decide but I was just curious what your views are on this.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've taken both cats and birds on vacations, both to Reno (I snuck Spaz into the Hilton) and camping.
I flew with my birds to spend a month with my baby brother.

As far as cats go though, I think it's really going to depend on the kitty in question and how easily stressed he gets.
If he does stress easily, he would be better off at home with someone caring for him there.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wish I could but there's too many of them! And there are not many pet friendly hotels in Malaysia anyway!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't take my girls on vacation. I just think a car ride or plane ride would be too much for them. THey would be miserable.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'vt thought about this for our wedding/honeymoon since the hotel we're staying at is pet friendly but both my babies get super stressed when they have to move so I don't want to do that to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat is fine when he's in a carrier in the car with me so I'm thinking he might be okay on the plane. He has a real quiet meow too so I don't think he'd bother any other travelers. I'm concerned about how long he'd have to be in the carrying crate though cuz the duration of the flights with one layover is close to 6 hours.

erinandseamus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our boys have traveled with us. They're both fine in their carriers on planes and when being carrried through security. One loves the car ride and one meows for about 30 mins then settles down. They've both been content once we reached our destination.

And then sometimes we leave them home with sitters.

eicart19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When we moved from Italy back to the US three years ago, I took our cat with us in the airplane in a soft sided carrier. We had no problems.
And recently we moved again, from California to Virginia. We planned a three week camping trip across the US and, once again, the cat came with us. While we were in the car traveling, she stayed in her carrier. Once we reached the camp site, we let her out to roam about the inside of the camper and she was fine.
One suggestion is to have her get familiar with her carrier before your trip. Leave it open on the floor for a few days so she can inspect it. Then try putting her inside of it to get her used to being in there.
Hope this helps.

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions. Are they like dogs in carriers where they don't want to go to the bathroom in thier carrier and will hold it until let out to go in their boxes?

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive never brought my cats camping. The girls couldnt handle it. It would stress them out to bad. Bagheera would love going camping though. I bring the dogs with me if I go camping but otherwise they stay at home.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my aunt watches them if we go out of town..and we board our dogs.
I think a car ride would be too much on them. we don't go anywhere out of town often anyways.

eicart19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, they are like dogs (at least mine is) and don't go in their carriers. When we took the long flight back from Italy I brought a small litter box with me and during our layover at the airport I took the cat into one of those family bathrooms and let her out to stretch her legs and use the cat litter box. Also, the carrier fit under my seat on the airplane. And the vet suggested bringing little kitty treats to feed her when she started meowing. I just unzipped the carrier a tiny bit and dropped a couple of treats in. It was really funny to hear the other passengers say to each other, Did you just hear a cat?. One woman told me she kept insisting to her husband that she heard a cat and he kept telling her she was out of her mind.

phishmarisol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not yet but the longest I've left her alone is overnight. I don't really go on "vacation" I guess!

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted this in your other thread.

It's up to you but personally I would never take my cats with me on vacation let alone on a plane. That is just entirely too much stress in my opinion for the cat. Plus the cabin pressure of the plane etc. He might be fine in the car but a plane and vacation, and whole new environment is a different story. They do much better at home in their own environment with a pet sitter or friend coming by to feed them and scoop their litter.

For those of you whos cats do fine on the plane, vacations.. I think its amazing because there is no way in heck my cats would enjoy it. They scream bloody murder just going to the vet.

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eicart19

Yes, they are like dogs (at least mine is) and don't go in their carriers. When we took the long flight back from Italy I brought a small litter box with me and during our layover at the airport I took the cat into one of those family bathrooms and let her out to stretch her legs and use the cat litter box. Also, the carrier fit under my seat on the airplane. And the vet suggested bringing little kitty treats to feed her when she started meowing. I just unzipped the carrier a tiny bit and dropped a couple of treats in. It was really funny to hear the other passengers say to each other, Did you just hear a cat?. One woman told me she kept insisting to her husband that she heard a cat and he kept telling her she was out of her mind.
That sounds like that would have been so funny.

We talked it over and decided to find a friend to stop by the house each day and take care of him instead of taking him with since we're on the go all the time so he'd be sitting in a strange place by himself most of the time. I think in this case, he'd be happier at home.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He'll probably be happier at home, so good for you! I itas moving, that's one thing, but just for a vacation??? The boys just don't treavel wel - at least not Loki. Jacob does but only if he's notin a carrier, but strapped into a seatbelt! Go figure!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could!! I know it would stress them out far too much (and me too!) I know they are much happier being at home where they know their surroundings.... and can have kitty parties while I'm gone