Anyone else with a military person?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love to talk about this. My husband was in the Army for 6 years, and it's affected small things in his life. When his alarm goes off he gets up, takes a shower, and gets dressed, all under 15 minutes. He just polished his shoes before he went to work today. He irons his t-shirts, lines up his hangers with two fingers in-between them. It's nice to live with someone who is really neat, but sometimes I blame the US military for the fact that I will never be able to have a relaxing morning where I can eat cereal, drink coffee, and watch TV.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not with a military person but we have a few ex-military (as ex-military as anyone can be I guess) at work and I have to say I LOVE them - they are super organised, polite and do what they are told, but yeah I could see how living with one of them would drive me crazy!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My wife and I were both in the Army for 10 years. The military definitely embeds certain behaviors that seem permanent.
I.E., I don't need an alarm clock to get up in the morning. I wake up at 5:30 AM on the nose everyday....whether I want to or not.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad is retired military. He was a Drill Sargeant for 2 years. Man that was miserable!!
My sister and me lost our names and became you, the tall, one or the short one!! But he is very organized, completes every task, and always on time!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad is a retired Lt. Col. Our sheets on our beds had to have the military tuck.
And he still polishes his shoes and all folded clothes have to be perfect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

My dad is retired military. He was a Drill Sargeant for 2 years. Man that was miserable!!
My sister and me lost our names and became you, the tall, one or the short one!! But he is very organized, completes every task, and always on time!
Yeah, my husband knew some Drill Sergeants when he was in, and it was worse on them than it was on the guys going through boot camp. They didn't get much sleep, they had a ton of stuff to do, and they had to be on point every day. No wonder they were so cranky.

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes my dad is a Marine and my Father-in-Law is in the Air Force, My Brother in-Law is in the Army, My best friend Sybil is in the Navy, My Uncle is a Marine, The list goes on I am a Military Brat and a daughter of a Jar Head and proud of it
Yes i think dinner time was a hard thing to get use to do you notice they eat alot faster to when in the military

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My exhusband was in the USMC, so we traveled a bit. For being in the service, he was a slob!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My dad is a retired USMC Master Gunnery Sergeant. He retired in 1969, after 26 years in the Marines. At nearly 80 years old, he STILL gets up at 5:30 and is extremely well-organized. His shorts and T-shirts are folded and stored, with military precision. His desk is clean and well-organized. Each morning, the dogs are fed and the yard is scooped, he feeds and bathes my baby great-nephew, takes care of my mother's personal care, gives Mom her meds and is out the door, by 8 taking Mom and Tyler out to breakfast. The kitchen calender has all of Mom's doctor and hair appointments noted on it.

In addition to all of the household/medical stuff, Pops has a one-man home repair business. He HAS quit cooking but he does all of his and Mom's laundry, as well as most of the housework. They DO have a cleaning lady, twice a month, to do a major cleaning. He also landscapes and maintains their yard and house.

This tired me out, just recounting it

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad was in the military for 6 years, my brother in law is still in and I used to date a soldier but I was stupid and young and didn't realize what a good guy I had at the time. And when I stilled lived in Clarksville Tn I preferred to date soldiers because the civilian men around here are either on drugs and refuse to work or they work and spend all their money on stupid stuff and they want to drink all the time. Or atleast that has been my experience in my area. And I seemed to be more able to find men who didn't mind opening doors for ladies and didn't wait till we got to the restraunt and asked if I was going to pick the checkup. One reason why I stopped dating anyone my friends wanted me to date.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not at the moment, but I did date someone who was. My ex was a SFC (Special Forces) in the Danish Army and did 2 tours in Desert Storm.

He really loved the army life and missed it a great deal when he was discharged due to health related issues. He was very good at what he did.

However, he quickly fell out of army routine, LOL He loved to sleep in! He was a total slob! But when he needed to be, he was quite punctual!

I could live with all of that. However what I couldn't live with was how he could turn his emotions on and off like a water tap. He could be the warmest, sweetest person ever..then sometimes I wondered if he had any emotions at all.

I'm not sure I'd like to be in a relationship again with someone either military or ex military. It was like an emotional roller coaster.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I'd love to talk about this. My husband was in the Army for 6 years, and it's affected small things in his life. When his alarm goes off he gets up, takes a shower, and gets dressed, all under 15 minutes. He just polished his shoes before he went to work today. He irons his t-shirts, lines up his hangers with two fingers in-between them. It's nice to live with someone who is really neat, but sometimes I blame the US military for the fact that I will never be able to have a relaxing morning where I can eat cereal, drink coffee, and watch TV.
Aren't they just so on the ball, I am married to a 20 year Navy person he's retired now, when I first met him I was intimated ALOT his underwear were smaller then mine
and I'm only a size 4, he used to run 8 miles aday built like a brick **** house still is after 9 years retired, folded his clothes to a T, But it wore off, we have been married 9 years
and he thinks he is supposed to only have to go to work mow the lawn and he's not the complete gardener...He's a great guy very quite witch doesn't go to well with me
Will not Agure at all
I miss that

The worst think I think he took away from the service is he thinks everyone is so full of Integrity because he is and what a wake up call going out into the real world, and he thinks all things should go according to the plan or the book, and we know that's not how it is..
And yours was only in 6 years give him a bit

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH is ex military.
He will get up at the butt crack of dawn EVERY MORNING no matter how late he was up the night before. And once he's up EVERYONE has to be up (we ignore him
) He will do laundry, dishes, sweep and mow the yard before I can even pour a cup of coffee. It drives me crazy.. I have had to retrain him that yes, you can sleep past 4:30 am, it doesn't hurt if your pants are a little wrinkled, and no, we don't have to be up just because you're up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

DH is ex military.
He will get up at the butt crack of dawn EVERY MORNING no matter how late he was up the night before. And once he's up EVERYONE has to be up (we ignore him
) He will do laundry, dishes, sweep and mow the yard before I can even pour a cup of coffee. It drives me crazy.. I have had to retrain him that yes, you can sleep past 4:30 am, it doesn't hurt if your pants are a little wrinkled, and no, we don't have to be up just because you're up!
Oh I feel you on that one. If DH gets up he will poke me until I am up as well. If he gets really frustrated at me; he'll growl and call me Private.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was in the Army for nine years and it was a great experience, but I'm happy to say I got most of military stuff out of my system pretty quickly after returning to civilian life. I still get up way too early, though!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still trying to figure out how my boyfriend is ex-army. He barely wakes up in the morning, and is grumpy and tired until about noon. He doesn't sew or iron any of his own stuff: said that he never learned in the army, just paid to have his stuff pressed.

Any he's not neat either.

I wish he had picked up some of the habits.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I'm still trying to figure out how my boyfriend is ex-army. He barely wakes up in the morning, and is grumpy and tired until about noon. He doesn't sew or iron any of his own stuff
LOL, maybe you inherited my ex?