Has anyone tried Scientific Professional Cat Litter?

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about trying this stuff for quite a while but I want to read some other people's reviews on it before I try it (no more gross clay for me or my girls!). The reason I want to try it is that it can help you detect UTIs: when the cat pees, the clump will turn pink if the cat has a UTI (the darker the pink, the more severe it is). However, I think this stuff is still really new because I can't find a single review! How about the people here at thecatsite? Has anyone tried it?

http://www.scientificcatlitter.com/

EDIT: check out the video at the above site. It shows a demonstration of the litter box in use (I personally wasn't sure how varied the pink colors could get)

fluffcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've used it and it does turn pink when there's a problem but I found it to be horrible to use. My Jess has white feet and after she used the litter they were stained yellow! It's very dusty and tracks badly. I use it once a week just to monitor uti health but wouldn't use it as my regular litter

coconut

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also hate the clay litter, but found ARM & HAMMER
High Performance Clumping Litter recently. It is not clay, and it clumps really well. Coconut has no problems with it, and there is absolutely no offensive litter box odor.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coconut

I also hate the clay litter, but found ARM & HAMMER
High Performance Clumping Litter recently. It is not clay, and it clumps really well. Coconut has no problems with it, and there is absolutely no offensive litter box odor.
I have been trying non-clay litters too, looking for one that works well without being dusty or scented. I haven't tried the one you mentioned. How is it as far as dust, tracking and scent?

coconut

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by momto3cats

I have been trying non-clay litters too, looking for one that works well without being dusty or scented. I haven't tried the one you mentioned. How is it as far as dust, tracking and scent?
The Arm and Hammer High Performance has a light scent and kind of looks like pine needles all ground up. The tracking is way less than clay, I think because the granules are not as fine. We use it in the automatic littermaid litter box, and it clumps up really well. I notice that there is not as much smell when I change the waste container as when we used clay. It also says it is flushable on the bag, but I have not tried that.

Hope that helps--I can buy it at the grocery store, and it a little more expensive than some of the clay brands, but I think it's well worth it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I bought some of the Scientific Professional litter and I have to say that it IS dusty. I didn't notice much dust when I poured it in the box, but the thing that keeps popping in my mind is that it has the texture of flour, with some gravel here and there. It clumps nicely enough, but everytime one of the cats uses the box, their feet are light brown. It's especially noticable on Buffy, an all-black shorthair. She comes out with 4 brown socks, lol. But fortunately, I haven't noticed any tracking. When I scoop the poop, though, it tends to float a little unless I put the scooper past the toilet rim and wack it on the porclain (not touching the water). If I keep it higher, the litter will float on the rim and I have to use a toilet brush to clean it (interesting note, when this litter touches water, the water turns pink! lol). And as a plus, Willow, the one in my siggy, the one with sensitive feet, loves this litter. She doesn't like the Swheat Scoop I was using before (she'd use it, but she avoided digging in it whenever possible) but when I put her in the box with the new stuff, she immediately started digging and let loose a fountain of pee, lol. Then she dug and dug and dug some more to bury it. I might continue buying this stuff just for Willow's sake, though I'll keep it in the downstairs bathroom instead. I'll continue using Swheat Scoop because I still love it, but I'll keep buying some of this new stuff so Willow's itty bitty feet don't have to suffer, lol

And nobody has a UTI
. I did notice, though, that some of Molly's poops have a slight pink color and that's concerning me. Can whatever it is that's in UTI-infected pee, be in poop too?