Desexing Age

camillab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Everyone...
What's the soonest we can get mum cat desexed? I thought it was when the kittens were weaned, but then I was told by the Vet that cats can go on heat again as early as 4 weeks?
thanks again everyone

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4 weeks is a little early for a cat to go into heat. 4 week old kittens are hardly walking on their own! Maybe your vet meant to say 4 months?

Anyway, it's a good idea to neuter before then, so your female kitten never has to experience heat, and your male kitten doesn't get the idea it's OK to mark the house.

Pediatric spay/neuter can be done when the kitten weighs enough--I've heard two pounds; so maybe 12 weeks? Adult spay/neuter is done at about 6 months.

Our kitten veterans will likely be around shortly to give you exact numbers!

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think she ment to desex the female mum. as cat's can go into heat as early as 2 week's after they give brith , i think. my vet will only spay after the milk has complety dried up , so all you will have to do is just make sure there is no way for an intact male to have axcess to your female. hope this helped

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CamillaB

Hey Everyone...
What's the soonest we can get mum cat desexed? I thought it was when the kittens were weaned, but then I was told by the Vet that cats can go on heat again as early as 4 weeks?
thanks again everyone
Hey Camilla....mom cats can certainly go back into heat while they are nursing their kittens. It's one of the reasons we recommend that mom and kittens be kept in a room with at least 2 doors between mom and the great outdoors. We do not want her to become pregnant again. Opinions vary regarding the ideal time to have mom spayed..but 4 weeks is definately too early..the kittens haven't begun weaning yet. If this were a feral mom, I might advise you differently, but for your own cat....I would wait until the kittens are weaned (they are eating solids) and ready to be placed into homes...around 10-12 weeks of age. The absolute earliest I would have the procedure done is 8 weeks of age. You need to discuss with your vet what is appropriate in your situation.

Katie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

My vet recommended waiting till they were 6 months old, but no later.

Shanynne
Extreme Kitty Lover
Hey Shanynne....if you are referring to fixing kittens, the only issue with waiting until the kittens are 6 months of age is that females can become pregnant as early as 4 months of age. I can appreciate that some vets do not agree with pediatric spay/neuter (many may not have even heard of it) but our rescue spays/neuters at 10 weeks of age. The kittens bounce back so quickly from the surgery at this age.

Katie

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is what my vet said about boucing back very quickly after being spayed that early , this is why there are looking into it , as at the moment they will not spay untill 6 months(london)