Neighbor's boxer starts dogfight in my yard!

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I let my dogs out back with their electric fence collars on so that they could pee and we could play some frisbee. Next door the neighbor kids were playing with the kids from down the street. The kids from down the street had their boxer dog, Foxy, in the yard with them. Foxy runs over into my back yard, sniffs my dogs, and proceeds to attack Benji!
Daisy then went at Foxy to protect Benji. They are going at it and I ran over and grabbed Daisy's collar. Daisy had a death grip on the back of Foxy's neck. I used my foot to seperate them (in the madness I completely forgot about the hose by the wall...). After being seperated from Daisy, Foxy proceeded to attack Benji again! One of the kids ran over to get Foxy, and I yelled, "Stay away, stay away!" because I didn't want them to get bit accidently by either their dog or mine. I somehow got Benji away from Foxy (all this time still holding on to Daisy's collar so she doesn't go back at Foxy again) and we stood there in the yard catching our breath for a second. I put my dogs in the house and one of the kids took Foxy back to their house.

In a few minutes me and my dogs came back outside and we played frisbee and they used the bathroom. I think I was a lot more shaken up than they were!

This is the second time now we've had an incident with Foxy
. The first time was when I was walking my dogs and Foxy was with the kids at the bus stop. She came over, sniffed my dogs, and went after Benji. I was able to get my dogs away without a problem because they were on leashes, and Foxy doesn't go far from the kids.

I am not letting them out in the electric fence without me being out there. EVER. My dad thinks we will once they are used to it, but I REFUSE to. I don't want to come home to little Benji peices everywhere
!

My sister and I are going to talk with those neighbors. This is not a safe situation!

Oh yeah, and nobody was injured. I thank God for that.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How's Benji now? What kind of breed is he? Is he very dominant? Neutered?
Your neighbours should be concerned about Foxy's behaviour. Does she go after any other dogs that you know of?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I haven't really talked about my dogs on this forum
, allow me to put forth some useful information:

Daisy is a 75lb 4 yr old spayed black lab mix, and Benji is an 18lb 2 yr old neutered schnauzer/dachshund mix. My dogs both like other dogs. Benji was abused in the past, so he is actually quite submissive, although sometimes he talks a big game. Foxy is probably about 60lbs. I can assure you that Benji does not instigate fights with other dogs. In fact, the whole time Foxy was going at him, Benji was on the ground with a confused look on his face. I think maybe Foxy doesn't like small dogs. The neighbors have a 80lb lab mix and she's never fought with him. The only reason Foxy and Daisy were fighting is because Daisy was protecting Benji. Daisy HATES to fight, she'd rather play!

Both Daisy and Benji are fine. Nobody seems to have received any injuries.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there no leash law in your area? Since you've had two problems with this dog already, I'd contact the owners and tell them you'll have to report them if you see the dog without a leash again as she is dangerous around your dogs.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd also speak to the neighborhs and let them know of the situation and tell them that the next time you will hae to report them because Foxy is a danger to your small pup.

Also is there any possibility of gtting a real fence in? I would never use an invisible fence for this very reason. You can keep your dogs in but you cant keep other animals from coming in which is a HUGE danger.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like Foxy has a problem with small dogs then. Poor little Benji!
Some dogs have a high prey drive and see small dogs as prey.
I don't know if your dad will be willing to put in a fence, as they're expensive. I know of one lady who got her neighbours to pitch in for a fence. It seems reasonable, as it helped them too. I hope your neighbours are resonable people who are willing to take responsibility for their dog's actions.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

Also is there any possibility of gtting a real fence in? I would never use an invisible fence for this very reason. You can keep your dogs in but you cant keep other animals from coming in which is a HUGE danger.
I so agree. I can't stand the electric collars/fences and this is one of the huge reasons...

I would look into a real fence as you will never be able to control anyone else's animal and its not worth a potential tragedy in future...

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would consider putting up a "real fence" too, since she may not be the only dog you could have a problem with. This is one reason why I was thrilled this house already had a backyard fence when we bought it.

I have a Boxer, and it is true that many do have a strong prey drive (ours doesn't- her best friend is one of our cats, and our trainer suggested she be trained as a therapy dog
), or it could simply be that she got beat up by a dog the size of yours when she was young, and has a problem with them.
Either way, she shouldn't be allowed out unrestrained, and probably could stand some training to get her over this or at least under control enough to avoid it. I'll pm you some forums that deal exclusively with Boxers, that you can suggest to your neighbor when you speak to her if you'd like. Hopefully she will take it as a goodwill gesture when you talk to her- she could lose her dog if this isn't corrected, (especially if a child ended up in the middle of it, like it almost did with you) and, of course, being a dog owner yourself, you would hate to see this happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would consider putting up a "real fence" too, since she may not be the only dog you could have a problem with.
I would LOVE to have a real fence, unfortunately this is a new neighborhood with a Homeowner's Association, and they won't allow anybody to put a fence up! That's the only reason we resorted to an electric fence. Thanks for the links and comments. I will let you know how everything goes! Oh, and yes this area does have a leash law, the owners just don't follow it.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put a pool in? Then you'd have to have a fence in most places (just kidding
). Hope it all works out

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweet72947

I would LOVE to have a real fence, unfortunately this is a new neighborhood with a Homeowner's Association, and they won't allow anybody to put a fence up! That's the only reason we resorted to an electric fence. Thanks for the links and comments. I will let you know how everything goes! Oh, and yes this area does have a leash law, the owners just don't follow it.
I would take your dogs out leashed then. At least you have SOME control over your own dog if not other dogs....I would also make a complaint (so they have it on file) with the SPCA.