Bellina is worrying me :(

bellinakitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. Anybody remember me?

Anywayz, I saw nasty worms coming out of my cat's rear so I took her to the vet. I did get a med, but what concerns me is she also noted how firm her abdomen felt. They did x-rays but it really didn't reveal anything. The vet poked her belly with a needle to see if they could get fluid, but nothing. (I hope this rules out FIP.) I'm a bit concerned because even though she seems pretty okay, her appetite is on and off. Plus her bowel movements are irregular and you can see on the x-rays that she has lots of stool packed up in there. (When I first got her she had to be treated for constipation to the point where she could not go for five days straight. They gave her an enema and it worked.) There has been a slight amount of blood in her stool. Still the vet gave me the med and said if she does get worse to let her know right away.
I just want to know what could be causing the firm abdomen. Is it the worms? Can they cause constipation as well? Thanks in advance to anyone's response.

ps- The worms are tapeworms.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm sorry to hear about your poor kitty!
I had constipation issues with my Pippin recently that caused me a lot of stress. He's doing much better now so I'll tell you what I've changed in his diet to help him.
First off, the worms are very likely causing her tummy to be very firm. Once the worms are gone, you may find that her tummy isn't so hard.
I've added a water fountain for my four cats and while Pippin was leery of it at first, he now drinks much more than he used to, and he now doesn't try to drink out of my cup all the time. I also added a better canned food. I'm feeding nutro max cat canned (with the gravy, not the spam) and he loves it. All the cats do actually and they get one can to split between the four of them. I also have been fostering a kitten. When he was just on kmr, I gave Pippin the leftovers in the bottle after Smeagol had his fill. Now that he's on canned kitten food mixed with kmr, I also give Pippin the leftovers. This is keeping him very hydrated and he's using the litter box with lots of success. He hasn't had to be on laxatives for 2 weeks or so.
I've had no luck switching the kitties from the meow mix indoor food. They love it and refuse to eat the higher quality dry food I bought for them. Oh well! At least they are getting added nutrients from the nutro.
I hope these suggestions help and that your kitty is feeling better soon!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound like you have a bad worm problem...are you still deworming? Maybe get a 2nd opinion?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellinakitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Devlyn

Hi!
I'm sorry to hear about your poor kitty!
I had constipation issues with my Pippin recently that caused me a lot of stress. He's doing much better now so I'll tell you what I've changed in his diet to help him.
First off, the worms are very likely causing her tummy to be very firm. Once the worms are gone, you may find that her tummy isn't so hard.
I've added a water fountain for my four cats and while Pippin was leery of it at first, he now drinks much more than he used to, and he now doesn't try to drink out of my cup all the time. I also added a better canned food. I'm feeding nutro max cat canned (with the gravy, not the spam) and he loves it. All the cats do actually and they get one can to split between the four of them. I also have been fostering a kitten. When he was just on kmr, I gave Pippin the leftovers in the bottle after Smeagol had his fill. Now that he's on canned kitten food mixed with kmr, I also give Pippin the leftovers. This is keeping him very hydrated and he's using the litter box with lots of success. He hasn't had to be on laxatives for 2 weeks or so.
I've had no luck switching the kitties from the meow mix indoor food. They love it and refuse to eat the higher quality dry food I bought for them. Oh well! At least they are getting added nutrients from the nutro.
I hope these suggestions help and that your kitty is feeling better soon!
Hey thanks for your post.
Actually I do have a fountain for my cat and she does use it a lot. (I love those fountains!) She's been going okay but like I said it's irregular...plus VERY smelly! (Whoo!) She eats Nutro Max dry food and occassionally she gets a can of wet. (She's not big on wet food.) I'm concerned with the bleeding, it's like she's tearing her rectum each time she goes, or well I guess it could be the tapeworms. I gave her the first dose of med but she didn't eat all the food it was in, so I'm not sure she got the full dose. I have another dose to give her in three weeks and I'll be sure it gets into her one way or the other.
Thanks again!