Dry Food - Which is the Best?

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can drive yourself nuts trying to figure out the best food to feed your cat.

I have been feeding Pro-Plan for the last 5 years. Both my cats have been happy with that food. I make sure that I rotate the flavors to give them a variety, but I have recently wondered if I should be feeding something else.

My cat Simon is dealing with a urinary tract infection and is showing a lack of interest in food. I have him on medication to get the infection under control but I am wondering if there is a better food to try, something that will help him not have this problem again.

I bought a bag of Nitro and am mixing 1/2 and 1/2 with the Pro-Plan. Sofie my 2 year old girl likes them both, but she is easy, she loves everything.

So I just wondered what advice I could get. Thanks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nutro is a good solid premium... Pro plan has a few good formulas but most get a thumbs down due to heavy grain and by products...

I hope you are feeding Nutro max adult or lite as they are CERTIFIED for Urinary health....

Wet food is WAY WAY Better

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why is wet food so much better? Isn't it mostly water? I've always just used it as a treat. They both love the wet, but I have never considered it as a huge part of their diet. I did pick up some of the Nutro wet, but Simon doesn't seem to eat it as well as the Pro plan wet.

I got the Nutro Complete Care Adult Indoor, that one is ok?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The indoor is OKAY but NOT the best for UTI kitties as it is formulated more for indoor slightly lazy kitties
... the max is formulated and very well tested for UTI health ... the moiture in wet food mimics a cats natural prey in moisture protein and fat levals ...

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I hope you are feeding Nutro max adult or lite as they are CERTIFIED for Urinary health....
Dexter's numbers are on the high end of normal for beginning kidney problems....
I want to start addressing his diet now.
Currently he is eating a lot of wet plus his dry kibbles are Nutro's CC Wt. Mgmt.

I would like to explore Nutro's Max lite...
Where can I find more about it being certified for urinary health?
Who certifies it?
Thanks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No quoting though I can get it ... but it is third party lab tested ( I want to say the FDA make s the standards??)

The light are far to high in protein for a early kidney cat ...I will send you a PM later about the differences ... also as I know that the "kids" are close to senior the UTI benifits decrease

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
russ0268;1405875 said:
Why is wet food so much better? Isn't it mostly water? QUOTE]

That is EXACTLY why it is so much better. And it is closer to the natural food wild cats eat. Their natural diet. Most cats don't intake enough water. This leads to crystals, UTIs, problems in general. A wet diet is EXCELLENT but can be expensive. It is also a healthier variety of food. Dry food is fattening and has lots of carbs, grains, etc. I even add mroe water to the wet food to make it soupy and the kitties love it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by russ0268

Why is wet food so much better? Isn't it mostly water? I've always just used it as a treat. They both love the wet, but I have never considered it as a huge part of their diet. I did pick up some of the Nutro wet, but Simon doesn't seem to eat it as well as the Pro plan wet.

I got the Nutro Complete Care Adult Indoor, that one is ok?
Dry food is full of carbs and fillers and is OK in measured amounts for free-feeding during the day while we are at work, but the wet food really is much healthier for your cat. Dry food also isn't any better for their teeth, contrary to what you will sometimes hear. Cats don't really chew and they break the dry food with the tip of the tooth and swallow which doesn't do much to clean the gum line where tartar can build up. You are better to get one of those finger brushes and use it on your kitty's teeth.

calicocallie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting! I rarely give Callie wet food... she doesn't seem to care for it much, surprisingly! I always thought dry food was better for her teeth as well... a pet urban legend, perhaps?

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just curious . . . I use the Nutro indoor cat formula to feed my babies. What would you recomend as for as wet/canned food??? And how often?? I don't give them any wet food at the moment.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vrgchs

Just curious . . . I use the Nutro indoor cat formula to feed my babies. What would you recomend as for as wet/canned food??? And how often?? I don't give them any wet food at the moment.
You could try the Nutro canned