Help with Caring for a Stray

verynycegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

A very thin full grown stray cat appeared on my back deck just less then a week ago. Since the poor thing looked so thin I just had to put a can of tuna and a little bowl of milk out for him. Well in a matter of minutes he was eating away!!! I bought a box of dry catfood that day and he has not left my backyard since! He was staying under my deck for the past week. He seemed very scared as everytime I would open the door he would run. Well, tonight when I opened my door to my surprise he walked right in!!! He has some fairly fresh cuts on the back of his legs as well as a cut on his neck. My kids would love to keep him but first I need to see if he belongs to anyone. My guess with how thin he is....he's been on his own for quite sometime. I'd like to take him to the vet to have these cuts addressed....but as a single mom, money is pretty tight. Will vets help strays for a reduced fee? Any suggestions where to post that we found this cute guy? He seems very much at home I must tell you....just wandering around my house as happy as can be!!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by verynycegirl

Hi,

A very thin full grown stray cat appeared on my back deck just less then a week ago. Since the poor thing looked so thin I just had to put a can of tuna and a little bowl of milk out for him. Well in a matter of minutes he was eating away!!! I bought a box of dry catfood that day and he has not left my backyard since! He was staying under my deck for the past week. He seemed very scared as everytime I would open the door he would run. Well, tonight when I opened my door to my surprise he walked right in!!! He has some fairly fresh cuts on the back of his legs as well as a cut on his neck. My kids would love to keep him but first I need to see if he belongs to anyone. My guess with how thin he is....he's been on his own for quite sometime. I'd like to take him to the vet to have these cuts addressed....but as a single mom, money is pretty tight. Will vets help strays for a reduced fee? Any suggestions where to post that we found this cute guy? He seems very much at home I must tell you....just wandering around my house as happy as can be!!!
How wonderful that you care about this cat. I would recomemnd that you take him to the vet to have his cuts assessed and also determine whether he was neutered and whether he has a microchip (although doubtful). If he isn't neutered, I would go ahead and have the procedure done.

Below is a list of low cost spay/neuter organizations:

MASSACHUSETTS
Animal Advocates
North Dartmouth, MA
508-991-7727
Low cost spay/neuter clinic.
Animal Rescue League of Boston
508-255-1030
877-590-SPAY toll free
617-426-9170
Various programs offered in Boston, Brewster, Salem, and Dedham areas. They also have a mobile clinic that visits many neighborhoods, and they also accept a limited number of feral cats.

Neponset Valley Humane Society
Norwood/Mansfield, MA
508-261-9924
Web: www.nvhumanesociety.org

A Helping Paw Inc
Buzzards Bay MA
508-743-8406

Northeast Animal Shelter
204 Highland Avenue
Salem, MA 01970
978-745-9888

Alliance for Animals
232 Silver Street
South Boston, MA 02127
617-268-7800 clinic
Low cost spay/neuter and vaccinations for pets and ferals. Call for information.

Massachusetts SPCA/Angell Memorial Hospital
SNAP (Spay Neuter Assistance Program)
Boston MA
617-522-7282
617-541-5007 for info
Assistance for pets of low income people at participating area vets.

Merrimack River Feline Rescue Society
91 Bridge Road
Salisbury, MA
462-0760
Free spay/neuter for ferals.

Northeast Animal Shelter
204 Highland Avenue
Salem, MA 01970
978-745-9888

Second Chance Fund for Animal Welfare Inc
Bolton MA (services located at Clinton MA)
978-779-8287

Explain that you found this cat and see if they have any reduced rates for ferals/strays. The other thing you should do at this point is to try to get a picture taken of him and post it around your neighborhood and at shelters. If after 2 weeks..no one claims him....then he can be considered the new member of your family.

Good Luck,

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verynycegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Katie,

Thanks so much for your information. I did call all of my local animal hospital's and there was a report of a missing cat the same color as the stray we have found. The hospital gave me they're number and I've called and left a message. They live about 4 miles from me. Do cat's travel that far? What sort of question should I ask to make sure this is the correct owner? I'm kinda sad....I was hoping maybe we would have a new family member! But it will be nice to make this family happy if it is their cat. Also...the animal hospital said it would answer to the name "Clyde" ....which it does not....could a cat forget it's name in 3 weeks??

Thanks again!
Tracy

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess you could ask the owners if they have a picture they could e-mail you of their missing cat and then you can assess it. If you do happen to return this little guy to his owners, you could always visit your local Humane Society to get a cat/kitten for your family, I know around here we've got so many they've reduced the price of their cats.

Try looking on www.petfinder.com to see if they've photographed at any of the HS's by you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verynycegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I met with the cat's owner's and the cat that I have found is not their cat. I felt so badly for them....but I'm happy for us. My kids just adore this sweet guy! He has an appt for a check up with a local vet for tommorrow. I also got in touch with our local humane's society who will send me a coupon to get his shot's & to be neutered for $89.00. Does that sound like a good price? I'd also like to have him treated with frontline. How much should I expect to be charged for that?

Thanks for all the advice!
Tracy

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by verynycegirl

Hi,

I met with the cat's owner's and the cat that I have found is not their cat. I felt so badly for them....but I'm happy for us. My kids just adore this sweet guy! He has an appt for a check up with a local vet for tommorrow. I also got in touch with our local humane's society who will send me a coupon to get his shot's & to be neutered for $89.00. Does that sound like a good price? I'd also like to have him treated with frontline. How much should I expect to be charged for that?

Thanks for all the advice!
Tracy
Tracy..that does sound like a good price for neutering + shots. I'm not sure what the cost is for frontline...but ask the humane society if they have frontline that they can apply.

Katie