First kitten iv had!

melmel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my name is Melissa and me and my boyfriend have just got our first kitten. It is so cute but i have a few questions for whoever can help me!

I got the kitten 4 days ago, so i have tried to do all the right things by getting a bed for the kitten (which it doesnt use), giving it worming paste (which it threw up), and giving it a kittylitter box. The question i have is that whenver it goes into it litter box, it always eats the litter. Is this bad for the kitten? Also, anyone got any ideas for the kittens name. It is a 6 or 7 week old kitten, grey, white and white paws. Please help, Melissa
Also, it has peed in the litter box a couple of times but pooed once (which for unforunatly on our pillow, my fault cuz i moved the litter box), but should it be pooing more than that? It eats a lot during the day.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by melmel

Hi, my name is Melissa and me and my boyfriend have just got our first kitten. It is so cute but i have a few questions for whoever can help me!

I got the kitten 4 days ago, so i have tried to do all the right things by getting a bed for the kitten (which it doesnt use), giving it worming paste (which it threw up), and giving it a kittylitter box. The question i have is that whenver it goes into it litter box, it always eats the litter. Is this bad for the kitten? Also, anyone got any ideas for the kittens name. It is a 6 or 7 week old kitten, grey, white and white paws. Please help, Melissa
Also, it has peed in the litter box a couple of times but pooed once (which for unforunatly on our pillow, my fault cuz i moved the litter box), but should it be pooing more than that? It eats a lot during the day.
Welcome to TCS Melmel.....6 to 7 weeks of age is a bit young for a kitten to be on it's own. We often recommend waiting till the kitten is 10-12 weeks of age so that it has more time with it's mom and siblings.

Did your vet give you the deworming paste?? If so, I would explain that the kitten has been throwing up and find out if you should try something else.

As to the litterbox....it is recommended to use a non clumping litter...such as clay or a biodegradable litter (such as feline pine) until the kitten is a little older. That way, if he does eat the litter it won't hurt him. I would also recommend placing several litterboxes around your place because just like a baby, he may not always know when he needs to go and can't always get to the litterbox...so it's good to have "options" for him.

Katie

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your new kitty! First off, it is very young to be away from its mother, and you may have to help it find the litter tray etc.

I can't answer all your questions, but I can deal with some of your query.

Cats will sleep where they want to, not necessarily in the bed you bought. Some other sleeping place may be more attractive in his terms. My kitten sleeps in a cardboard box with an old jumper for bedding!

Did you get the worming paste from the vet? Flea and worm medication that you buy in the pet shop is not good, and can be toxic, especially for tiny kittens. You should take your kitten to the vet, who will weigh it and determine the correct dose and the correct prescription product for your kitten.

Kittens do eat a fair bit of food because they grow so fast, but taking it to a vet and getting it wormed will make sure that it is getting all the nutrition that it can. Many kittens are born with worms, and if he threw up the medication it probably didn't work. Feed him a good quality kitten/junior food, which has more calories than food for adult cats.

At this stage in the cat's life, and in a new home, leave the litter box where he can find it easily. It is easier at this point to confine him to one room until he has adjusted to his new circumstances - it helps make the change a bit easier for him. He probably pooed on your pillow because he didn't know where to go.

And at this stage in your cats life, use a non-clumping litter- some types of litter swell up in the stomach and can cause blockages, and a young kitten tends to explore their surroundings using their mouth! So find one that does not form clumps, at least until he is a bit older.