Kittens...

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, considering what all has happened with Reilly, I'm torn. Should I keep the kittens here and re-home Reilly or Foster her and the kittens out for a couple weeks risking the chance of them developing the allergy?

What should I do?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say keep the kits and rehome Reilly.Good luck!!!I'm saying prayers for all of you.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it's such a hard decision for you..but I am no help, because it's totally up to you. I know how much you love Reilly and I wish you and her the best. I know you'll do what's best for her.
I will be thinking of you and Reilly.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say rehome them all...but you'll have to warn the adopter of the potential of allergic reactions to dogs...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

I would say rehome them all...but you'll have to warn the adopter of the potential of allergic reactions to dogs...
I also thought about that but I want them to have speuters and shots before they go. And we are keeping Bo and Duke regardless what happens

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about rehoming Reilly and the kits that you aren't keeping?That would work out for you,Reilly and the kits also.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

What about rehoming Reilly and the kits that you aren't keeping?That would work out for you,Reilly and the kits also.
That's a thought also. I'm just worried that they would develop the allergy and someone who doesn't care or ignores the potential allergy put them with a dog and the same thing happen.... I'm over protective and want to screen everyone myself

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

I also thought about that but I want them to have speuters and shots before they go. And we are keeping Bo and Duke regardless what happens
Hon, you already know in your heart what needs be done...you are definately on the right track!!!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Hon, you already know in your heart what needs be done...you are definately on the right track!!!

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Would it cost a lot of money to have the kittens checked for the allergy now? It was be good information to have when making the decision, and good information to have to pass on to the people adopting the kittens.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Telynn

Would it cost a lot of money to have the kittens checked for the allergy now? It was be good information to have when making the decision, and good information to have to pass on to the people adopting the kittens.
They need to be at least 3 months old to do it. They are 7 weeks old. They have to take alot of blood and separate them from each other for 24 hours. At this age it would be too traumatizing to them especially with Reilly not being here. And it would be around $135/per kitten, plus the office visit... I can't afford it right now. I'm having to do payment plans on Reilly's bill as it is.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be in the best care of the kittens for you to keep them at your home away from Reilly and rehome Reilly. It may sound cruel- but it's really best for them. Since she has aggression issues- you want to seperate them from her before they also develop them. Also, there is still a chance that they may not develop the allergy- why risk it by putting them back with Reilly when they are old enough to be weaned.
I would recommend keeping them with you and providing them with KMR and food- they will do just fine- they're old enough..and you can also start socializing them now that they are away from their momma- you can start developing and encouraging good behavioral habits from them now..

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm with Nikki. And having on more than one occasion adopted kittens at 7 weeks, I would not be worried about them, as long as they are eating well on their own. You will be in a position to give them the care and socialization they need, and hopefully separating them from Reilly will head off the development of the allergy.

But, in the end, you have to follow your instincts.