Solid Gold Tuna

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats are eating good dry food. California Natural, Innova Evo and Wellness.

But I am having a horrible time with the wet. The only wet they will eat is Solid Gold Tuna. How bad is this for them on an everyday basis? I have tried every premium food I have seen mentioned on here.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At least the solid gold has the right viatamin and minerals added ... If you dont have UTI issues I dont see a big problem with daily intake of that food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I havent had any problems with UTI's. They do drink a good amount of water. I just keep reading conflicting things on tuna and cats. I saw where you had mentioned Ziwi Peak and Wysong. We tried the Wysong with no luck. I might try the Ziwi Peak, I have never heard of that before.

Edit: Sharky, I had mentioned to you before that they were eating the 9Lives turkey. They are refusing that now!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well they have been introduced to the "good life"

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

My cats are eating good dry food. California Natural, Innova Evo and Wellness.

But I am having a horrible time with the wet. The only wet they will eat is Solid Gold Tuna. How bad is this for them on an everyday basis? I have tried every premium food I have seen mentioned on here.
The very first food that Kittens for Dummies lists to never feed your cat is tuna. "Yes, tuna. Kittens love tuna so much that they may actually refuse to eat a regular diet. Sadly, tuna is the equivalent of kitty cocaine. In the wild, cats do not catch fish".

I have not yet seen negative comments towards this book on this site, but rather quite positive ones. I have no personal experience. However, I bought this book before I found this site, and now only use it as a secondary reference.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have actually never fed them tuna before. I was just going to get this for a "treat" for them because I had heard some good things about Solid Gold, but my cats had a different plan. I really do no want them eating tuna everyday and if I can find an alternative, I will get them off.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

The very first food that Kittens for Dummies lists to never feed your cat is tuna. "Yes, tuna. Kittens love tuna so much that they may actually refuse to eat a regular diet. Sadly, tuna is the equivalent of kitty cocaine. In the wild, cats do not catch fish".

I have not yet seen negative comments towards this book on this site, but rather quite positive ones. I have no personal experience. However, I bought this book before I found this site, and now only use it as a secondary reference.
Very true for strait human tuna.. She is discussing a cat food formulated tuna
.. My Zoey would differ on the catchign

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Very true for strait human tuna.. She is discussing a cat food formulated tuna
.. My Zoey would differ on the catchign
So there is a difference? Maybe its the human tuna stories that have me concerned.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes cat food tunas have added vitamins to make up for the depletion from the tuna... Human tuna can cause deciencies...

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Yes cat food tunas have added vitamins to make up for the depletion from the tuna... Human tuna can cause deciencies...
Ok Thank you!!!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it possible for you to add a good quality food to the tuna a little bit at a time over an extended period of days/weeks to "wean" them off the tuna? I've thought about doing this with our kitties - they won't eat any other brand but Merrick.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked about this too...poor Gizmo is a tuna junkie and won't listen to reason. I have tried the Dick van Patten Natural Balance Tuna and Shrimp and she loves it...but it's probably not the best for her.

I am also trying the new California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato dry food just to get her completely off the chicken for the winter (Nature's Logic contains some and Gizmo's had two asthma attacks in the past week, so I want to be sure it's not the chicken causing it. It also does not help that the windows are closed for the winter.)

She eats the herring and sweet potato like there is no tomorrow. Definitely a fish junkie. So it's safe to give her cat-formulated fish?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:0 it is as long as she isnt allergic or UTI prone

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Is it possible for you to add a good quality food to the tuna a little bit at a time over an extended period of days/weeks to "wean" them off the tuna? I've thought about doing this with our kitties - they won't eat any other brand but Merrick.
I thought this would be a good idea, too! Unfortunately, my kitties all disagreed!

Just as a thought, would the Solid Gold tuna be better if you picked all the tuna out of the can?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Just as a thought, would the Solid Gold tuna be better if you picked all the tuna out of the can?
There wouldn't be anything left except for water, tapioca, canola oil and cellulose gum.
Jamie just cleaned out his bowl of Solid Gold tuna. He hates poultry, and I have a hard time getting him to eat anything but fish. I've given in to some extent, but try to give him fish mixed with a meat, e.g., tuna and beef, salmon and chicken, chicken and shrimp. I've just ordered some canned Ziwi Peak (lamb, venison, and venison & fish), and will post a report once it gets here and he's tried it.
He used to like Innova, but that's not exported anymore.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

That didnt work for me, either. If I put as little as 1/8 of a teaspoon of any other kind of food they know it and will not eat it!!