Shredding the toilet paper!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know probably just about everyone here has gone through tthis stage. What do I do? My kittens(now 10 weeks old) are now able to reach the toilet paper and I come in the bathroom all the time to find half of the toilet paper shredded and strewn about the bathroom floor. I tried putting it out of reach but they always manage to get to it. I mean I can't put it too far or I won't be able to reach it either!LOL!

I also cannot close the bathroom door because I am trying to toilet train the cats.

Anyone here have suggestions or creative ideas?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing that worked in my house was switching to scented (chamomile or lilac) toilet paper. You have to be careful, though. My husband bought a huge pack of lavender-scented TP, and no roll survived more than 15 minutes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...I never thought of that. I've never seen that before. Is it expensive? Also, are you sure it's not dangerous? I used to make reed diffusers and while I was studying about essential oils I learned that some of them can be dangerous, even deadly, for cats.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go buy a cheap 2 liter bottle of pop or something. Once it's empty (either drink it or dump it) cut off the ends, slit it up the side and round off the corners. It should fit snug over a roll of TP on the holder and keep them from unroll & shredding it. You might still see claw marks in the side of it but unless they can get the plastic off they can't unroll it.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought a long narrow wooden box that you store your TP in and put mine in there. I have to be honest and say in theory it would work but I can't get anyone to use it. So I'm always coming home to shredded TP.

I wish I had better advise!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The soda bottle idea sounds great! How did you come up with that? I'll have to cut up the next soda bottle I get! Thanks a ton!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't remember what set the thought off. I know once I got Wickett he'd unravel the whole roll every time I put a new one on. We'd bought a bottle of root beer that turned out to be diet (yuck!) so I dumped it out and got to looking at it. I thought they sold similar items but heck, and old bottle is way cheaper so no harm if it doesn't work. My only suggestion is to stick w/ clear harder plastic... it seems to hold it's shape better.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Will do. Thanks again!

You should be an inventor! It would make millions!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

Will do. Thanks again!

You should be an inventor! It would make millions!
Thats probably the only originally creative idea I'veever had. I can make stuff w/ instructions (like sewing, crochet or jewelry) but nothing original.

gnat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

The only thing that worked in my house was switching to scented (chamomile or lilac) toilet paper. You have to be careful, though. My husband bought a huge pack of lavender-scented TP, and no roll survived more than 15 minutes.
We did this only with aloe vera toilet paper - our boys hated it and never did it again! Although the only down side is we dont like that toilet roll!!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Go buy a cheap 2 liter bottle of pop or something. Once it's empty (either drink it or dump it) cut off the ends, slit it up the side and round off the corners. It should fit snug over a roll of TP on the holder and keep them from unroll & shredding it. You might still see claw marks in the side of it but unless they can get the plastic off they can't unroll it.
Wow! The creativity of people on this site never fail to impress me.

llandyw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just keep our TP up on the towel bar.

There's nothing close enough to it to allow the cats to get to the bar and walk across to the TP, so it's safe.

My fiancee has left it beside the sink a couple times since we started putting it on the towel bar, and each time, shreds everywhere..

Andy

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have yet to hear of a cat on this site that could duplicate what my puppy used to do; unravel a complete roll. Our house is circular and he could actually run all the way around the house without tearing the paper off. Incidentally, he only did this when we left him alone in the house. Persi, on the other hand, seems satisfied in just unrolling enough so that it touches the floor and then he can roll around in it.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reading this thread and laughing because I keep my TP on the shelf also. However, my cats are also quite smart.

I very seldom by tissues because they are expensive, never last long enough, yada, yada, yada.

The store had a sale on one brand I had never used and it smelled really nice, too. I bought a couple of boxes and put one in each bathroom, (2) and one on the desk where the computer is. (That's where I am most of the time when I am not watching TV). The cats had never seen a tissue box.

I go to work come home the first day......nothing. Play on the computer, grab a couple of tissues, eat supper, watch TV, go to bed. Go to work the next morning, come home...YYYYYYAAAAAAAAAA.....what the hell happened????? Yep, you guessed it. Tammy-Timmy, little Tammy-Timmy had seen me use the tissues the night before.......she pulled every one of those tissues out of the box and scattered them all over the computer, living room, kitchen, bathroom, kitty litter room, in the kittly litter, in the sinks, in the tub.......the urge to kill.........