Am I crazy for this

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay we live out in the woods and if someone pulls up looking for my dad or my uncle I will not go out there if I am the only one at home if its men especially more than one man. Unless its my uncle or my neighbor. I simply will not go out there I don't care who it is. Someone is out there right now and I don't recognize them and I am in my pjs And I simply hid in the back of the house and let the dogs bark at them. My hopes being that with having the two outside dogs and Macy in here that they wouldn't even try to come to the door to knock. I did peak out the window and I could hear one of them telling my outside dogs to shut up. They were in hunting clothes and I have never seen them before to my knowledge. I thought it was kind of rude him telling my dogs to shut up they didn't listen of course.
My big girls stood at the gate growling and barking at him. They knew they have to protect the house. So anyway what I am asking is am I crazy for refusing to go out there if I am alone if I don't know who it is. I live miles from any help if they weren't safe people. And about two miles from my neighbor and they would never hear me scream if someone did try something.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not crazy! Smart! The world is not the same as it was even 20 years ago. Crazy people pose as all kinds of people to gain access to homes.

I live alone and unless I know the person knocking at my door, I talk to them through the closed door.

I think you did the right thing.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

Okay we live out in the woods and if someone pulls up looking for my dad or my uncle I will not go out there if I am the only one at home if its men especially more than one man. Unless its my uncle or my neighbor. I simply will not go out there I don't care who it is. Someone is out there right now and I don't recognize them and I am in my pjs And I simply hid in the back of the house and let the dogs bark at them. My hopes being that with having the two outside dogs and Macy in here that they wouldn't even try to come to the door to knock. I did peak out the window and I could hear one of them telling my outside dogs to shut up. They were in hunting clothes and I have never seen them before to my knowledge. I thought it was kind of rude him telling my dogs to shut up they didn't listen of course.
My big girls stood at the gate growling and barking at him. They knew they have to protect the house. So anyway what I am asking is am I crazy for refusing to go out there if I am alone if I don't know who it is. I live miles from any help if they weren't safe people. And about two miles from my neighbor and they would never hear me scream if someone did try something.
That's not crazy at all! I do the exact same thing. If I don't know someone- there's NO WAY i'm answering the door for them or letting them know i'm in the house. I peak out of the peep hole very quietly and let Fosters bark. Then I go get my shot gun just in case- call me paranoid, but i'm really not- i'm just protecting myself from strangers. Also, Colin is a cop- and I worry that someone may have arrested could someday have an agenda so to speak against him and would try something when he's not home. It's happened on more than one occassion to two cop families one city over from ours- so i'm really careful about things. I don't answer the door for anyone I don't know at Colin's house or at my house. It's just not safe. I also make ALL repair men show their work id before the entire my house....and if they did not have an appointment, I don't let them in the house if they just show up out of the blue.I don't answer my door to people I don't know. I also do not answer the door when someone drops off a package (fed ex, ups, things like that)...I wait until they leave to open the door and get it. I'm not paranoid- just cautiously. I can definitely defend myself if need be now. I've taken several self defense classes and I am well trained in gun safety and defense- if anyone tries anything now, they'll be meet with the barrel of my 12 gauge

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope that is probably a smart thing to practice. YOu never know about some of the crazies in this world!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having a home office, there are often people coming to the door who I don't know. I have two dogs, a medium sized Lab & a large Lab X. I place the larger dog(who looks much more ferocious) between me & the person at the door whenever I open the door for people I don't know. I had some guy look at her, look at me, & just leave...without saying a word. When the larger dog barks(she barks at everything), her hackles go up & her mouth gets all frothy..... She looks like she'd kill someone.

But, it is my job to open the door to greet people. After dark....I am much more leery....

I think you did the right thing. You cannot be too cautious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have access to my dad's guns I don't know where the shells are to my 12 gauge. Because my dog ate a whole case of them so dad hid them from her. But all the other guns are loaded at all times. I think they know my dad cause they was out there asking where they were and hollaring for them. They didn't even come to my door I think they were not certain about my dogs. Lucky looks kind of like a bulldog. I wish sometimes that dad would let me have a great dane but that's out of the question for now. I have never used a gun so I have always kept atleast two large dogs. And I probably always will.

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol, i don't worry i have a rotty and a great dane both dogs they don't look friendly at first glance
. My Rotty stays outside and he makes sure there are no strangers outside. Plus when they start barking i make Troy go look and watch from the bed room window. If anybody is going to die it won't be me or the fur-babies LOL!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your not crazy, at all!! I am the same way.
You just never can be too sure these days. I get scared at night when DH is at work and the dogs bark like crazy.........I get scared easily,lol.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are in the country too but most likely not as rural as you. We are the 1st houes on our road and people turn around in our driveway all the time. Not too many strangers though!!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
naw, dont open the door.

lol by the way, unless i know someone is coming over, i dont even answer the door.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ask your dad to get you some of the Federal reduced recoil tactical 00 buck for the shotgun and teach you how to shoot it. A shotgun is a great home defense weapon, and real easy to shoot.