Best CANNED cat food

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm done trying to get Smidge to eat decent wet food (pouches). I actually counted each little square before and after..she didnt eat a one, but likes the gravy. This is expensive too.

So...I'm going to try switching to cans exclusively. I dont have a lot of luck there either. Her favorite "once a week" treat is FAncy Feast grilled turkey. After giving her Nutro pouches for awhile I stopped reading and trying all the cans, but am out of options for now.

Any canned out there that is quality?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was about to post the exact same question. I've looked through old threads and haven't found what I'm looking for. My kitties get 9lives canned food (in a varity of flavors) but I'm wondering if I could be giving them a better quality food. They are both healty and happy and Frankie can be picky about food textures (she prefers the unidentifiable foor to the sliced in gravy and such) so I'm worried that she wn't take to a switch. Is 9 lives really that bad for them?

vlh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I put Iris on Merrick's canned food. Bought granny's pot pie and thanksgiving turkey and she likes both of those. Will expand her horizons to other merrick canned food once she finishes these.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm rusty twstychik - it has been a long time since I researched this stuff (which is why I come here!).

I cant comment on 9Lives directly, but I avoid by-products. I check for that first and how high up real meat is in the ingredient list.

Mostly what I have found with the sub-standard foods...is that kitty's poo smells much worse than now. That is also a concern of mine.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One better quality wet food that I haven't heard of too many cats refusing is the Meow Mix wet. I know, the dry is the bottom of the barrel but the wet isn't too bad. Most have no by-products you have to read the label. It is fish heavy which can lead to problems. It is the only wet that I have found that my cats seem to really enjoy. I have started giving it them every other day. I would give it to them daily if it wasn't for the large amount of fish in it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried wysongs au jus?? not shredded but it has nice gravey

Ziwi peak is also easy to shred

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She looooves the meox mix wet but b/c of the fish I rarely feed it. I don't like the way it smells though *holds nose*

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Just off hand: Innova, California Natural, Felidae, Solid Gold, Natural Balance, Prairie, Merricks (I only know the latter from hearsay).

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Have you tried wysongs au jus?? not shredded but it has nice gravey

Ziwi peak is also easy to shred
Jennifer, is that the "jerky"? I've just ordered 18 cans of Ziwi Peak today, not the dried pouches (which Jamie loves), but the normal wet cat food. Have you tried it?
I'm just about fainting over the price here: €2.49 = $3.12 for a 185 g. / 6.5 oz. can. Jamie is going through a "If you want me to eat canned, it better be fish!" phase, so I hope to coax him into eating a "wet" dinner again with the Ziwi Peak.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Just off hand: Innova, California Natural, Felidae, Solid Gold, Natural Balance, Prairie, Merricks (I only know the latter from hearsay).
They all have canned varieties? I believe I've heard of some of those brand names but I don't believe they sell them where I usually shop (PetSmart).

You are the second one to mention Merricks and I've never heard of it!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it looks like any change would probably be an improvement for my kits. Sheesh! They get Meow Mix Outdoor dry food and 9 Lives canned food (which after looking over the ingredents all start w/ some by product). I'm thinking I might try Eagle Pack Pet Food because they are holistic and all natural, they are a local company to me, but also because it just occured to me that they are clients of my dad's. D'uh! I feel so bad now that I've read labels to think tha they eating mostly by products. Of course these are the same cats that will eat olives if they come off a certain company's pizza! LOL

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I heard bad things about Merrick from research. Also i stay far away from Fish and By Products i try buying the best but it's so hard to find a good canned food with no Fish in it! Grr.. But here are a few that i think are pretty nice and are limited in Fish. Also i'm going to try raw meals since it is the BEST way to me,

Pet Gold Kitten Canned Food:

Sufficient water for processing, turkey, animal liver, chicken, ocean fish, rice flour, dried skimmed milk, egg product, guar gum, choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin E, A, D3, B12 supplements, thiamine mononitrate, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin), minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, manganous sulfate, potassium iodide, sodium selenite), salt, carrageenan, potassium chloride, iron oxide, taurine.

Nutro MAX CAT Turkey & Giblets Formula Canned Food for Kittens:

Turkey broth, turkey, chicken, chicken giblets, beef liver, beef, ground rice, dried egg product, guar gum, salt, dl-methionine, potassium chloride, carrageenan, sodium ascorbate (source of vitamin C), taurine, iron oxide, ferrous sulfate, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, zinc oxide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), copper sulfate, manganous sulfate, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, sodium selenite, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, potassium iodide, biotin

Also there are many more good one's but like i said i've heard bad things about Merrick i suggest researching it on here before choosing Merrick
. Good Luck.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Merrick's ingredients are good, my cats would eat a little of it for a while and then they stopped eating it at all. Some people on this board have recently found some things in it lately namely pieces of plastic and a sharp small bone. It seems they may be having some quality control problems recently.

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Exactly Denice. So i would just stay away from it or contact Merrick and see if there making any product changes to why there are objects being found in products

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Jennifer, is that the "jerky"? I've just ordered 18 cans of Ziwi Peak today, not the dried pouches (which Jamie loves), but the normal wet cat food. Have you tried it?
I'm just about fainting over the price here: €2.49 = $3.12 for a 185 g. / 6.5 oz. can. Jamie is going through a "If you want me to eat canned, it better be fish!" phase, so I hope to coax him into eating a "wet" dinner again with the Ziwi Peak.
No I tried the 3.6 ou pouches of cat food ... I think it was all salmon??.. the girls loved it ( yes the price was $$$$)... I cant do the cat food since all of mine are NON lamb able

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMGosh! About finding things in cat food!

I tried Max cat this morning....she enjoyed licking it yet again...but I counted each pellet bite - not a one was eaten.

The rub with all this...if I just gave up trying to feed her wet due to her non-eating issues...she still will demand it in the morning and be relentless till it is served to her. That is so unfair to me!

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol, maybe try adding a small amount of gravy or something to attract her to it?

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe try shredded canned food or mashed Nutro pouches? Or what about a more "chunky" pate style like Chicken Soup, Felidae, or Innova? They're really finely ground instead of being like paste. Eve will eat a lot more of those than Nutro cans because they're easier to lick up.

The other thing I do to get Eve to eat more (Lily's on a diet so Eve gets an extra meal because she's skinny) is to mix Meow Mix pouches in with something else. She goes nuts for it. I'm seeing how small a proportion of Meow Mix she'll respond to. So far 1 part Meow Mix to 2 parts of anything else is still fab in her mind.

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah try mixes or maybe just add water or a liqud mixture to the dry? It's more less she eats what you give her or she goes hungry.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

They all have canned varieties? I believe I've heard of some of those brand names but I don't believe they sell them where I usually shop (PetSmart).

You are the second one to mention Merricks and I've never heard of it!
Yes, they all have canned. I've tried all of them (except Merricks), and the only ones Jamie would eat were Solid Gold and Innova, because they were available in small cans. He's got a "thing" about not eating food in large cans, and now he's got the other two also demanding two or three ounce cans. They find pouches objectionable, too.