Am I nuts? pet store employee p*ssed me off

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
yesterday I was buying two weeks of wet food for abi. the pet store employee went on a rant about how bad wet food is for cats and they should only eat it as a treat. I explained what my vet said about food and she persisted in a loud voice to scold me and how shocking it was for a vet to give such bad advice to a pet owner. I gently explained that their natural wild diet would be flesh and blood and bones but she only got more strident about how I was damaging my cat. I am going to go back there today with a six page article on why high quality wet food is the best food for a cat. she shouldn't be practicing medicine or nutrition without a license and I am going to talk to the manager. If she doesn't cease her bad advice I am not going to shop there anymore. Am I insane?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Nope! Give her the article (and give the manager a copy, too), and suggest that she browse this forum so that she can give qualified advice if she feels she absolutely has to put her two cents in.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that its crazy for a petstore worker to be giving you advice on how to take care of your cat. they work at a petstore. They don't have a animal nutrition degree or a vet degree.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were you, I would go straight to the manager FIRST. What happened to you is NOT good customer service, and that is the employees job - to provide GOOD customer service, not lecture customers on a topic they are not educated on!!!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YOU are not insane, and SHE was way out of line. Definitely talk to the management -- I doubt they want this kind of tirade happening!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. It would have been rude of her to give you advice like that even if it was good advice! And it wasn't!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would give the article to the Mgr and associate and then kindley explain that with service like that I would/ will be taking my business elsewhere

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not only do I agree with your stance on wet food, but also that she was out of line, most especially for going off on a rant. Even at a human health food store, unless the staff member is licensed as such, it is not legal for them to issue (prescribe) a remedy or food. They may give written information and even offer advice, but only with the stressed disclaimer that it is merely opinion.

Before you rule out this store completely, perhaps you would want to first go to the manager about this employee. I'm quite sure this isn't the behavior they prefer in their place of business and would most likely appreciate your input.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely show the Manager and the employee the articles. If she has been adamant about giving this poor advice to other customers, I'd be very worried about what damage she may be doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
I brought the feline nutrition article into the store, told the manager and he gave me a large bag of WBCL multicat and apologized for the way I was treated, More importantly, he will talk to the clerk about how to treat customers and what's proper food for cats. I feel a little better.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By educating the store manager and in turn it's employee, you have made a positive difference.

Good work.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha if an employee at my store did that they'd get in so much trouble... but then again, we wouldn't allow anyone out on the floor who's so uneducated

I agree that no "pet store employee" should give medical advice or other things that should be seen by a veterinarian, I do feel that nutrition is an area where some vets are completley useless, and I know I've helped multiple dogs and cats whos vets were doping up with drugs and other steroids, just by suggesting a better quality or certain kind of food. It helps however that my boss is adament we are completley up to date on our nutritional informaiton.

I'm glad you were able to discuss the situation with the manager, and that the employee is going to be better informed.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you..nothing worse than an overly confident, pushy ignorant person in customer service
and that's how I really feel!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you stood up for yourself!
It is good that the manager was kind and receptive to you and gave the cashier a talking to. There was no excuse for her to be so rude to you!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good on you!! Just think of how many other kitties you've helped by putting an end to her ranting at customers

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You didn't ask her opinion and she didn't shut up when you indicated that her opinions were not welcome.

I'd complain to the manager and inform him that you were going to shop in another store. That way, there might be a job opening for a more courteous (let alone educated) sales clerk.