Weight Loss Grumble

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today begins Week 3 of WW for myself and my fiance, and so far, we've both been doing really well. I've found that because we both really enjoy cooking, we have an easier time of things: we leaf through the five WW cookbooks I bought (I'm an obsessive cookbook-buyer) and pick our dinners for the week, and I plan stuff for our lunches, too. So far, I've lost 5.6 lbs, and my FI has lost 13. Thus begins my grumble.

It isn't that he's losing weight faster than me. I know he's going to lose weight faster than me. It's basic biology. Yes, I find it a little annoying that he gets to eat more food than I do and still loses more weight, but that's not his fault and it's not my failing. He also has less weight to lose; I'm not complaining about that, either. What I am complaining about is the way people react when we tell them how much we've lost -- the first thing they do is look at me with this really sympathetic, apologetic look on their face and say "Oh, it's okay" ... as if the weight I have lost doesn't amount to anything at all! By trying to make me feel better -- as if I ought to be feeling upset -- they're making me feel worse!

I've lost more than 5 lbs in two weeks. I have more energy than I used to and I feel better about myself for having made positive changes regarding my weight. Why should I feel bad because my partner is losing more weight more quickly than I am? It's just the way our bodies work. Why can't people just say "Wow, that's great! I'm really happy for you/proud of you!"

*sigh* Stupid people.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"Wow, that's great! I'm really happy for you/proud of you!"

There ya go! Congrats on your accomplishment

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

*sigh* Stupid people.
That's all it comes down to, and, like basic biology, there isn't anything you can do about it.

Congrats on the efforts, and on the success!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the weight loss for both of you. Men are aggravating, aren't they??
No one said life was fair!
Keep up the good work!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! That is superb!

As you rightly say, men lose weight faster and easier than women, just a biological fact of women naturally storing more fat, and losing it more slowly, as a biological backup in case of pregnancy/lactation... and if anyone else is unaware of that, and thinks you are doing badly compared to your fiance, then all it demonstrates is their ignorance.... nothing more. Don't let them stop you feeling proud!

And also be careful - it can be really bad for your health to lose weight too quickly. Slow and steady wins the race

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

"Wow, that's great! I'm really happy for you/proud of you!"

There ya go! Congrats on your accomplishment

Really though- I am proud of you!! Changing your lifestyle is a tough job and it really makes a big difference when you're rewarded for your accomplishments even if it is just something simple. When you're not getting that positive reinforcement it's very discouraging!

I think this is my 5th week on Wednesday and I'm doing all right but it's tough. I know how you feel though because Chad is a stick and literally eats nothing but junk food all day!!!!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The the percentage of your weight loss compared to your weight is better or the same as the percentage of his weight loss to his weight???
DH had the SLOWEST metabolism-I could lose 10 # before he could lose 1#!!!
Good luck with your continuing losses!!!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yea, we do lose weight faster , and can be safe about it,

Remeber this is not a race, slow and steady and the change of eating habits is what matters here.

i have bounced around my weight my whole life, it really got bad after breaking my back, and i was no longer able to work out ,or to get lost in the woods. I got up almost 400 pounds in a very short time. it has taken year and half to get back to 230(which since i am 6 foot 3 is not that bad) i hear now , i am to skinny and dont look right, grrrrr, i still have 30 more pounds i want to lose that just refuse to leave me.

just stick at it, this is about you, Not how much or how fast he does it.