Momma keeps moving the kits

stephanie_akerm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all~
Thanks everyone for your help and advice thus far, I think I've got the flea issue under control, and with no chemicals! Now Buffy (momma) keeps trying to move the kittens. I left the house to pick up my daughter from preschool and didn't close the kennel door.

When I got home I did a head count and 1 was gone! I freaked! So I looked and listened for it, but then I saw Buffy grab another kit and run with it so I followed. She is hiding them under the couch! What should I do? I kept the door locked on the kennel last night and wouldn't you know, she had diaherra! It stunk up the house! I don't want to lock her up again but I don't want kittens all over the house either!

What the heck do I do? I can lock her in the bathroom overnight with a litterbox, does that sound like it would be okay. Having kittens is harder than having my four kids!

Thanks once again for your wise wisdom!
Stephanie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanie_akerm

Hi all~
Thanks everyone for your help and advice thus far, I think I've got the flea issue under control, and with no chemicals! Now Buffy (momma) keeps trying to move the kittens. I left the house to pick up my daughter from preschool and didn't close the kennel door.

When I got home I did a head count and 1 was gone! I freaked! So I looked and listened for it, but then I saw Buffy grab another kit and run with it so I followed. She is hiding them under the couch! What should I do? I kept the door locked on the kennel last night and wouldn't you know, she had diaherra! It stunk up the house! I don't want to lock her up again but I don't want kittens all over the house either!

What the heck do I do? I can lock her in the bathroom overnight with a litterbox, does that sound like it would be okay. Having kittens is harder than having my four kids!

Thanks once again for your wise wisdom!
Stephanie
Hey Stephanie...I would lock her in the bathroom.....she is probably moving the kittens because she doesn't like the location you have her in now (the kennel) and doesn't understand that under the couch is not a safe location. Anytime you are out..I would keep her confined to the bathroom.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanie_akerm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Katie! BTW, how long will this last? Do they get to a certain age and she'll stop trying to move them, or is this until they are mobile I suppose?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanie_akerm

Thanks Katie! BTW, how long will this last? Do they get to a certain age and she'll stop trying to move them, or is this until they are mobile I suppose?
LOL...when they are mobile...you will miss the days when only mom could move them...TRUST ME....if you are going to keep them in your bathroom (as I did with my fosters) go through and "kitten proof" anywhere they can 1. climb under 2. climb into 3. climb onto. I put a cat tree in the bathroom which helped...but when they discover they can move, they will be like the enegizer bunny.

Katie

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Energizer bunny...TNR!, I think that is the #1 BEST description that I have ever heard for a kitten! LOL!

If you move the kittens to the bathroom will you move the whole crate into there or just put the cats in there? Because the kittens need to be contained somehow, otherwise they may get out on the tile and get realy cold. I would suggest putting the kennel in there with them or placeing a box in the bathroom with plenty of towels and maybe a heating pad too because (I assume your bathroom has tile florring) tile gets really cold and kittens cannot regulate their body temperatures.

Anyways, yes, the mother cat will eventuall stop moving the kittens. My cat did that too, I think it is because she is a first time mother and just very nervous. You said you have 4 children. Are they allowed to hold and pet the kittens alot? If so, or if they run around alot where the kittens are then that may be what is making the mama cat nervous and causing her to try and move the kittens somewhere safer and quieter. You may also try placing a towel over her crate so it is darker and more secluded. I did that and my mama cat quit moving her kittens. It made her feel more like she was in a cave. By the time the kittens are a couple weeks old they will be too big for their mama to pick them up, plus they will be able to walk around on their own.

Is there any way you can post some pics? I would love to see pics of the kitens!

stephanie_akerm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kids aren't really big enough to care. My oldest is the only one is allowed near them and that's only with my supervision, she's 4. Buffy is her kitty and she follows her around normally. My son is 3 and could care less, but I don't let him in the kitchen anyway so she's not near him. And the twin girls are 6 months, so they aren't near them either.

I have the kennel locked up in the kitchen for now. I've been putting a thick blanket overtop to keep it extra warm and there's also a heating pad under the blanket in the kennel. I'm keeping the kitchen door shut and trying to give her some peace and quiet. Everytime I check though she's got a kit in her mouth at the door trying to get out. Hopefully if we give her space and quiet she'll chill out soon. I've also been sure to keep the kennel and blankets really clean. Hmmm, hopefully this will work itself out soon! Hey at least I haven't seen any fleas today!

Thanks again ladies, I really appreciate it!
Stephanie

Buffy and the kittens...soon after birth.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww.......They are sooooo cute!

Well, it sounds like you are doing everything you can for know. All I can say it wait for them to get too fat and mama can't move them.LOL!

Good luck with the cutie pies, and with the FOUR kids too! How in the world do you manage?! My hubby and I really want a baby and have been trying for almost 2 years. I have Endometriosis though so it is really hard. We're still tryin though!

stephanie_akerm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww.......They are sooooo cute!

Well, it sounds like you are doing everything you can for know. All I can say it wait for them to get too fat and mama can't move them.LOL!

Good luck with the cutie pies, and with the FOUR kids too! How in the world do you manage?! My hubby and I really want a baby and have been trying for almost 2 years. I have Endometriosis though so it is really hard. We're still tryin though!
Thanks for your warm comments. I manage with the grace of God and a great hubby! I'm truly blessed...although I will admit to being forced to act like an insane woman due to the children. It took us a year to have our oldest so I've felt that pain. But God bless you and hopefully you'll be as blessed soon. Take care~

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the encouragement. If it took you a year and now you already have 4, that gives me alot of hope. I also can assume you're a Christian, me too. I've prayed alot about it, but I just got so depressed I gave up for a long time. I quit trying so hard(taking temp, ovulation kits, perfect timeimg, all that stress) and figured, if it happens, it happens. God knows what He's doing.

Thanks again, your words really do give me alot of hope.

Also, good luck with the "insane woman" part. LOL! I can't help you there.

stephanie_akerm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ya know, I was never a really a christian until two things happened in my life. The birth of my first child and shortly thereafter, the death of my mother. It was then that I realized that He only gives you what He knows you can handle, no more, no less. So I try to think of that when my kids are driving me up the wall!

There is ALWAYS hope though, have you talked to your OB about more options? Not that it's any of business of course! Once we stopped trying, stopped doing all the things you did adn honestly starting thinking about adoption, we got pregnant with Alexis. Ty was much easier. And the twins, well, they were a HUGE shock! I did have a gastric bypass and was warned that I would be very fertile, but I didn't take it too seriously I suppose! Be strong and He will provide. God bless!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We can't afford to go to an OB/GYN right now. I mean, I know I have Endo because I did alot of studying on it and when I talked to my mom about it she told me she had it when she was my age too and that confirmed my fears. I mean, just to get the test done would cost $5,000. I have to get the test done for doctors to do surgery and surgery would cost a few thousend more. Plus, surgery DECREASES fertility!

However, I have been taking some natural stuff and it seems to be working well along the lines of "returning everything to normal". So, I have my hopes up, but not TOO high.

I think stress was the #1 problem, since I'm not really "trying" anymore there is hardly any stress, it's nice.

I'll just keep praying and eventually, Lord willing, we'll have a baby.

Til then, I have my kittens. LOL!