Neutering is AMAZING!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never in a million years have expected that Ferris would have an almost immediate change in personality as a result of his neuter on Friday!

I expected that he would be pretty much the same in behavior, and that he would be angry with me for DAYS for tricking him into the carrier and taking him off to the vets, but he's so NOT!

In fact, he began acting mellower almost immediately, and while he is still a little bit skittish as you would expect from a now semi-feral, he's nowhere near as jumpy as he was. Instead of running from me like he usually does, he actually walked down a hallway WITH me yesterday!!!

And last night was the icing on the cake: He was curled up on the floor at my feet, watching TV (he is SO into watching TV!) and purring up a storm. I reached down and gently slid two hands under him, and veeerrryy carefully lifted him up onto my lap.

Not only did he NOT resist and try to leave my lap right away, he calmly settled in, cuddling up to me with some head butts against my hand, and stayed on my lap for a full 20 MINUTES! He even fell asleep for a few minutes!!!

This would NEVER have happened prior to his neutering!

Can I chalk this all up to the immediate stoppage of testosterone, or do you think he's afraid that if he isn't nicer to me, the next trip to the vet might be worse than this one was?

I'm just SO pleased!!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that's awesome! Oh, geez if neutering makes kitties more mellow, my Eros is going to become a blob of mellowness! he's already so laid-back, I like to say he acts stoned ALL THE TIME!! I'm so glad Ferris has realized being cuddly is the cool thing to do

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Can I chalk this all up to the immediate stoppage of testosterone, or do you think he's afraid that if he isn't nicer to me, the next trip to the vet might be worse than this one was?
What could be worse than what happened this trip?????

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! Thats really exciting isn't it? The same thing happened to Harley - I was so very pleased!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

What could be worse than what happened this trip?????
LOL, I dunno - maybe he's afraid that next time, it might be...
...his TAIL!

(Just kidding!!!
)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that's pretty cool. None of mine got more laid back or friendly...if anything they got more energetic!

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's great.

I'm having Gizmo neuter tomorrow and I'm hoping this has the same effect on him as it did with Ferris.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wildflower79

That's great.

I'm having Gizmo neuter tomorrow and I'm hoping this has the same effect on him as it did with Ferris.
Ooo, I'll send out some "amazing neuter" vibes for Gizmo!!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah for you & Ferris. I was hoping it'd all go well and this is exceptional news! He's such a handsome boy... and now he's becoming cuddly too.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It can take a few weeks for testosterone levels to drop (a breeder could tell you more), so I imagine his change in behavior is because he's so happy and relieved to have come back home to you. And you've probably been "mothering" him a lot because of your concern, right?
Not that it matters why - I'm glad your little guy is getting cuddly and trusting.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

It can take a few weeks for testosterone levels to drop (a breeder could tell you more), so I imagine his change in behavior is because he's so happy and relieved to have come back home to you. And you've probably been "mothering" him a lot because of your concern, right?
Not that it matters why - I'm glad your little guy is getting cuddly and trusting.
Actually, I've been treating him the same - no eye contact if I can help it, I generally try to ignore him as best as I can (considering he's so danged cute, that's a tough one!) and just go about my business as per usual. I talk to him all the time, but I talk to Ginger all the time, too. If anything, I've been giving Ginger more attention lately!

I do think he is relieved to have come "home" again. He knows now that home is home - he made sure of that by proclaiming himself the spoon king and taking a leisurely and circuitous tour of his kingdom (5 times in full) within 2 hours of getting home from the vets.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Any cats we've had (dogs for that matter, too,) have been rather "clingy" after a "long" stay at the vet's office. Ferris is such a cutie. Now that he's discovered how nice cuddling can be, he'll probably become much more of a "baby".