My dream dog!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Lee took me to Petland yesterday to look at the dogs. It really makes me sad to see them behind the glass but I like to take them out to play since they don't get much exercise in those little glass boxes. I saw the most gorgeous Weimarinar. I fell in love instantly!
He has the blue fur and blue eyes! The people down the road from us have one and she is so pretty! They only thing I read though is that they aren't so good with cats.
But I guess if I got a puppy then I could train her to be a cat friendly dog. But since Ilooked online and the pricetag is like $1200 I won't be getting one any time soon. Save save save for me!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Weims are gorgeous dogs, very hyper though, need LOTS of exercise, but very smart.... if you ever do seriously consider getting one, please don't buy from Petland, they get their dogs from BYBs, you'd be much better off finding a reputable breeder, just my 2 cents

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Weims are gorgeous dogs, very hyper though, need LOTS of exercise, but very smart.... if you ever do seriously consider getting one, please don't buy from Petland, they get their dogs from BYBs, you'd be much better off finding a reputable breeder, just my 2 cents
That is what I told Lee because the guy was trying really hard to sell us the dog. I told him to come with me to look at the fish and said they are BYB dogs and I couldn't support that. He said he knew since i told him before but he wanted to show me the dog anyways.

I think it would be a great dog for me to take on bike rides since it would have the energy to keep up!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

That is what I told Lee because the guy was trying really hard to sell us the dog. I told him to come with me to look at the fish and said they are BYB dogs and I couldn't support that. He said he knew since i told him before but he wanted to show me the dog anyways.

I think it would be a great dog for me to take on bike rides since it would have the energy to keep up!
They are super cute either way, it's so sad to see them in the cages, I would've wanted to take him out to play with too!

Weims would the PERFECT dog for that Brandi! I bet they could outlast you on a bike

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

They are very nice dogs.........I would love to have a pooch!
I have this super cute little Lhasa that gets along with cats..... j/k! as much as Vino drives me crazy I could never give him up in a million years, he's my boy

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a friend who had 2 , they are beautiful but they are also very hyper
I don't know if it was her or the dogs but I didn't think she would ever get them house broke
They were a couple of wild and crazy babies

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Weims would the PERFECT dog for that Brandi! I bet they could outlast you on a bike
I am sure they could! I worry about my girls getting along with a dog though! They come first. I can just imagine how mad Phenom would be at me!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I am sure they could! I worry about my girls getting along with a dog though! They come first. I can just imagine how mad Phenom would be at me!
Have either of them ever been around a dog to your knowledge? they may surprise you, of all the kitties I've had come through my door, I've never had a cat totally reject Vino, it may take a while, but they get used to him, but then again, Vino is a very lazy ball of fur
not a rambunctious puppy, so that might be a bit different

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not that i know of. Well befoer we took Phantom in she was outside with our dog Bandit but he is old and could have really cared less and she didn't really go near him she was with me most of the time. Phenom is a shelter cat so she could have possibly been with a dog. I would just have to keep them seperated until I could trust them together. Phenom will probably stay in her room for a while.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cousins had a weimeraner (sp) with a cat, and there was never any problem. Until the dog got old, and couldn't hold his urine very well. Every few days he would pee in the litterbox, causing a flood.

I think they are very plain...but have you ever seen the kids books and videos where they dress the dogs up in people clothes? They are just adorable! The video of the ABC's has H is for hotdog. So the dog is sitting in front of a big pot, and "his" hands, which are people hands, put the hotdog into the pot. Of course, the dog tries to eat the hotdog as it goes past his mouth! LOL!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

My cousins had a weimeraner (sp) with a cat, and there was never any problem. Until the dog got old, and couldn't hold his urine very well. Every few days he would pee in the litterbox, causing a flood.

I think they are very plain...but have you ever seen the kids books and videos where they dress the dogs up in people clothes? They are just adorable! The video of the ABC's has H is for hotdog. So the dog is sitting in front of a big pot, and "his" hands, which are people hands, put the hotdog into the pot. Of course, the dog tries to eat the hotdog as it goes past his mouth! LOL!
I have seen those shows! I just think they are so stunning with their eyes! Put a bright orange hunting collar on them and you have a beauty!! Or a red one! And some dog soft paws!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

LOL, I can imagine the cat was most unimpressed!
We have a Weimeraner on our books. He's lovely, but as everyone has said, very hyper. He's well trained and responsive though. He lives with a cat and is very good with it. I think most dogs can learn to live with cats and be well behaved, if the owner puts in the time and effort to introduce them properly.
I think they are very plain...but have you ever seen the kids books and videos where they dress the dogs up in people clothes?
You think they're plain?!! They do dress up rather well don't they? I forget the name of that artist who did all those portraits of his Weimer dressed in various costumes.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

You think they're plain?!!
Yeah, I knew that wouldn't go over well with people who find them to be gorgeous! They are all one color, though, fur, nose, eyes! And I really like dogs to have a nice black nose...what can I say. Not to mention, the first one I ever met was my cousins old dog, and we all know how old dogs get...round belly and skinny legs!

Speaking of which, my dog is still quite beautiful (an Akita), but coming up on 10 years old the legs are getting a little skinny, and she isn't as pretty as she was before. She has marks on her elbows from laying on the floor. Of course, to me she is more beautiful every year, because I love her more and more...

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats alright! YOu don't have to think they are gorgeous! There was also an Australian Sheppard that I thought was beautiful. She has one blue eye and one brown eye! Soo cute!!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

... my dog is still quite beautiful (an Akita), but coming up on 10 years old the legs are getting a little skinny, and she isn't as pretty as she was before. She has marks on her elbows from laying on the floor. Of course, to me she is more beautiful every year, because I love her more and more...
Aww...
Yes they are still beautiful!
I walked a 13 y.o. lab with arthritis the other day. Poor girl, just wobbled along, but she still enjoyed her walk. And she looked up at me with those big doggie eyes as if to say "thanks for being patient" and I just melted and gave her another treat (yeah I know, she had me wrapped around her paw).

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So Lee took me to Petland yesterday to look at the dogs. It really makes me sad to see them behind the glass but I like to take them out to play since they don't get much exercise in those little glass boxes. I saw the most gorgeous Weimarinar. I fell in love instantly!
He has the blue fur and blue eyes! The people down the road from us have one and she is so pretty! They only thing I read though is that they aren't so good with cats.
But I guess if I got a puppy then I could train her to be a cat friendly dog. But since Ilooked online and the pricetag is like $1200 I won't be getting one any time soon. Save save save for me!
Look into a breed specific rescue because then you can find one and maybe even an adult that is past the puppy problems that has been temperment tested with cats and other animals. But they require alot of work. They are working dogs so they need excersize and not just for their bodies for their minds too. They have to be obediance trained and they need to be given refresher courses. And they tend to suffer from seperation anxiety. I had a friend who had one and he was a great dog but he required more work. With dogs you gotta really look at the breed to make sure the temperment of the breed matches you and your lifestyle. If you want a cat friendly dog I highly recommend a dog that is a nonsporting breed they have a much lower prey drive. And thats really important. You don't want terriers trust me my bratty terrier is a good dog but she chases Tavia and she could hurt her if she wasn't a small terrier but even then I correct this behavior because I don't want Tavia chased. I have a link to a list of dog breeds that tells you all kinds of things about them. Do your research and if you still want the weimerman then look into the breed rescues and be sure and watch the dog whisper. He has some very good common sense logic. Remember you have to treat a dog like he is in a pack before you love on him. Meaning daily walks of atleast 30 mins and for a high energy dog longer. Teaching him to walk at your side or behind you so that he understands you are the leader. Sorry I went on my long list of advice. But I see so many dogs go to the shelters for behaviors that could have been stopped altogether and because I have had alot of dogs in the past and so I kind of know my stuff I used to read about all kinds of different dogs. It was my dream to have a great big shelter and rescue all the dogs in the world. Granted I was 12 when I decided this but I did do my reading on them. I would still do it if I ever won a few billion dollars.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have looked into their tempearment and everything. We are kind of looking for a sporting dog. Lee hunts and I am sure he would love to have a big dog by his side. It will probably be a few years before we get a dog. Or atleast until Bandit passes. He is an old boy and doesn't like change. He isn't really ours but spends about 3/4 his time at our house (he is Lee's mom and dad's dog) because we always have people around and he gets more attention.

I want a sporting dog because I do bike riding in the trails in the woods and would love to have a k-9 companion to go with me!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what about a hound if not a weimaraner?
they make great hunting dogs and couch potatos.
my dog, Buster is a hound of course we don't hunt, but he is a couch potato and they require a lot of exercise, too.
of course every dog requires exercise.