The one that got away

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a guy friend from college that I was really close with.... after graduation we both went our seperate ways, but have kept in touch over the past 3 years.

We made a pact that if neither of us were married by the time we were 28, we'd marry eachother.

We were talking the other day, and he asked me if I thought it was wierd that we both kept in touch after so long, and I told him that it kinda was - since we haven't been able to see eachother in person since we graduation... he told me that I was the one that got away - and how he wishes that things could be different so we woulda been able to give 'us' a chance... I love him with all my heart - but its just never been in our cards to date.

Have you ever had 'the one that got away?' and wished that things were just a bit different? *sigh* I need a time machine.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
I'd say forget about everything in the past ,That was a long long time ago,You still have feelings for him? then get him on a date
Get to know each other 'again' then see if you can both be friends or wether you will marry each other

My motto is - Never put off till tomorow what you can do today !!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryferals

I'd say forget about everything in the past ,That was a long long time ago,You still have feelings for him? then get him on a date
Get to know each other 'again' then see if you can both be friends or wether you will marry each other

My motto is - Never put off till tomorow what you can do today !!
Oh how I wish it were that easy

I have a boyfriend - who I love, very very much. Its just that this guy has always been there - and I've always had a boyfriend, and when I'm single, he has a girlfriend... maybe its just not ment to be...

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep him close - fate has a funny way of showing her hand...I've a male friend like that but now, I can't imagine waking up next to him forever! We're very close tho...

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a friend like that, but we ended up getting together a few times when we were drunk and despite agreeing that it was only a bit of fun and nothing would come from it, he ended up getting hurt and the friendship ended despite knowing each other for almost 20 years

Theres a reason why you didnt get together, so just enjoy the what if's and if you ever happen to be single at the same time, keep behind the line!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we all have someone like that in our lives.

I was friends with a guy when we were teenagers. I had a "crush" on him, but he never showed any interest in me, so I thought. So I played match maker and fixed him up with my friends.

We remained best friends for years and years. When we were in our late 20's he was over one evening for dinner and babysitting me through a thunderstorm (I'm terrified of thunder). He confessed to me that he loved me and had for years, even back when we were teenagers. I told him that I had really liked him back then too but that he never gave me an clear signs that he was interested in me. He told me that he figured that I wasn't interested in him because I was fixing him up with my friends.

We tried dating after that, but it seemed "weird" to me by that time. He tried to convince me to give it some time, but I suggested that we just continue as friends.

However, after that the friendship just wasn't the same and after he met someone and married, his wife was jealous of his friendship with me and we gradually drifted apart.

His marriage didn't last too long... not even 2 years.

I miss him and our friendship, and in hindsight I did love him a great deal and I kick myself. We've lost touch and haven't talked in about 12 years or more already, but my heart still breaks when I think of him.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You never know what will happen in the future. Enjoy what you have with John. If that doesn't work out and oyu think you would like to date your friend then go for it. But from what I can tell you want to be with John!!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's that darn Murphy's law.... I still go through a few bouts' of that. My "puppy love" just got married. And although I've been married for 4 years, I will admit that I was a little bitter.
We had kept in touch well after we broke up, even while I was living with my hubby (when we were engaged). But lost contact after I married.... But I was more devastated back in March when I found out he had a baby with his girlfriend...but I think that was more cause I haven't been able to get pregnant. I guess a part of me will always love him, the part inside that's the 16yr old girl....who couldn't wait for pep rallies and homecoming. That girl will always love the quarterback of the football team, and captain of the wrestling team. I know that I couldn't ever really be with him now, I mean...it's been over 12 yrs ...we don't even know each other anymore and I am completely and totally in love with and happy with my hubby, but in my own private insanity, I can keep going on believing in my head that he is secretly pining away for me forever...
We too had always been "missing" each other.... I lived in Carlisle, he went to school in Philly, I moved to Allentown, he moved back to Carlisle, (we were still 2 hrs apart) then he moved to SC, then FL, then CA with the marines....then I moved to Philly, and he moved back to Carlisle....then he moved to MD. And here we are....what's meant to be will be my friend....that's the best I can tell ya'!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I definitely have "the one that go away"...but you know what....had that one not "got away" so to speak, I would have never found Colin. I wouldn't trade Colin for anything! Sometimes things just have a funny way of working out.

misspremier007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It isnt easy, i had an ex "the one that got away", this is going back to 1999. I have never met anyone who made me feel speciallike him, but the timing wasnt right as his ex girlf had ran off with his best friend and the timing wasnt right. we went our seperate ways, then i met my current ex, we were together for 4 years, but he wasnt "the one". i have tried contacting the "the one" but he has changed his number, im not a stalker i promise, but i do wish that things had been different. he was my first love. and it will take a lot for a man to meet up to him.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Oh how I wish it were that easy

I have a boyfriend - who I love, very very much. Its just that this guy has always been there - and I've always had a boyfriend, and when I'm single, he has a girlfriend... maybe its just not ment to be...
Maybe it's not meant to be. Maybe it is. Maybe it is, but just not that way.

People bring all sorts of different things into our lives. Who knows what lies down the road, for either of you?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know about the one that got away..I think you will always wonder what could have been..but..if you are truly happy of course it wouldn't go any further than wondering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

it's that darn Murphy's law.... I still go through a few bouts' of that. My "puppy love" just got married. And although I've been married for 4 years, I will admit that I was a little bitter.
We had kept in touch well after we broke up, even while I was living with my hubby (when we were engaged). But lost contact after I married.... But I was more devastated back in March when I found out he had a baby with his girlfriend...but I think that was more cause I haven't been able to get pregnant. I guess a part of me will always love him, the part inside that's the 16yr old girl....who couldn't wait for pep rallies and homecoming. That girl will always love the quarterback of the football team, and captain of the wrestling team. I know that I couldn't ever really be with him now, I mean...it's been over 12 yrs ...we don't even know each other anymore and I am completely and totally in love with and happy with my hubby, but in my own private insanity, I can keep going on believing in my head that he is secretly pining away for me forever...
We too had always been "missing" each other.... I lived in Carlisle, he went to school in Philly, I moved to Allentown, he moved back to Carlisle, (we were still 2 hrs apart) then he moved to SC, then FL, then CA with the marines....then I moved to Philly, and he moved back to Carlisle....then he moved to MD. And here we are....what's meant to be will be my friend....that's the best I can tell ya'!
Yup... thats me to a T!

I got jeleous when he had a g/f - but I'm happy w/ John!
I don't know why that is - but it just is - I think we are better off being just friends... but I'm glad that you ladies understand where I'm coming from....