What the hell is a cheetoh??

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was going through my paper today looking at all the advertisements for puppies that are for sale through mostly backyard breeders and idiots who are cross breeding different breeds and coming up with foolish names... thinking they are going to make a name for them sell a examples were a BRUG a brussle and a pug cross. A Peckachu... something and a chihuha cross..and a bunch more and some of these morons are selling these pups for up to a grand! then i come across this

CHEETOH: New hybrid, Wild looking, intensely spotted kitten. Large, playful, pet and child friendly. $400. ###-###-####.
10-28-06

Now does anyone know what it is besides the snack food????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did not mean to be cruel in anyway or poke fun at the breed, i was just ignorant to it and never heard of it. I thought it was someone trying to create the next "in" pet! Thank you for the insight!

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaclyn4238

I did not mean to be cruel in anyway or poke fun at the breed, i was just ignorant to it and never heard of it. I thought it was someone trying to create the next "in" pet! Thank you for the insight!
I know what you are saying, tho. Many of the mixes in papers are BYBs. Like puggles,(pug/beagle) Hima-dollies,(himilayan/ragdoll) ect. But, this is the very way new breeds are made, like for one, my Ragdolls, or now the labradoodles, or toygers, they are man made, unlike the many spontaniously created breeds. Like Egyption Maus, siamese, ect. However usually someone serious about introducing new breeds and havig then acepted in a breed stadard, don't sell them in papers and make money on them, only pet quality ones are available when they are trying to produce set standards, but, that is in some ways the start of new breeds( I don't always agree I think there are so many breeds to be adding more, but, if that how every one thought a few years ago, mabey ragdolls wouldn't be here and I love my raggies so I don't complain too much, LOL!)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow they are beautiful! especially the lynx pointed male with blue eyes, although I may be biased because my cat Pwne is identical to him.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to check the site out too, I had never seen one before, I kind of thought the available female in the first litter was cute! That is cool yours look like the lynx male, he must be beautiful!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I don't have one of those, she is just a cool colored DSH kitty. She doesn't have the spots, more like blotches. But she has the striping on the points like that, the tail is the same, the eyes, pink nose, stripes on the face and head hehe.

Cheetohs are cool looking cats but I don't know if it is such a good idea. This particular breeder may be okay, but I see it sort of like the designer breed dogs.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't really tell the difference between it and a Bengal and I spend Alot of time looking at Bengal pictures. I guess there are more colours allowed, but you get variety with the Bengals, they just can't breed.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No offense to anyone, but I'm into rescue cats so I would never buy a cat from a breeder, but man those are beautiful cats. I like the marble kitties!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

No offense to anyone, but I'm into rescue cats so I would never buy a cat from a breeder, but man those are beautiful cats. I like the marble kitties!
Me too Rang.

Katie

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cata_mint

I can't really tell the difference between it and a Bengal and I spend Alot of time looking at Bengal pictures. I guess there are more colours allowed, but you get variety with the Bengals, they just can't breed.
Bengals are sterile?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Only the first one or two generations of males after the initial breeding with the wildcat are sterile. I believe from the third generation on the males are able to breed.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Plus they are foundations and are not the usual bengal cat that you would have as a pet. Most bengals (in particular the pets) have less than about 12% wild blood.
What I meant was that the variations you get-blue, melanistic, chocolate and longhaired are outside the breed standard but show up from time to time due to earlier outcrosses used to establish the breed. These are the variety i meant- not the snows/silvers/sepia etc- and as they are not accepted colours/types they cannot be bred from. However I believe the melanistic ones are being used to establish the pantherette.
http://www.simplysimesbengals.com/si...melanistic.htm

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

No offense but I'd rather have an Oci or an E Mau....
I agree with this! I dont really think we need another spotted breed.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

I agree with this! I dont really think we need another spotted breed.
It isn't just "spots" with the breed, they are also larger then the foundation breeds, some people like very large wild looking cats, the closer it gets without acually being a wild jungle cat the better for some people, I would love to have one of those exotic cats, like bobcats and such, but for very good reason, people can't just go and get them, so a domestic that looks like a tiger, just a lot smaller, LOL is what people (some) like, just like some one who likes texedo cats or calicos (neither I like) there are those that like LARGE, spotted wild looking domestic cats. We didn't need another poodle breed either (standard, toy, miniture, teacup,) now people have added another breed into them to make certain standards many people like, (labradoodle, golden doodles) Or was there really a need for another pointed blue eyed long haired cat? no, but I am some happy they were made, because I love my ragdolls, and wouldn't own another cat. My daughters father doesn't like (well kind of hated) cats, (his ex-wife and step dauter couldn't get one, he wouldn't allow them to have a cat in his house, and when they got one any ways, he made them keep it out side most the time) I had to be mean, nasty, sad, plead, and even cry, to get a retired ragdoll cat, being spoiled, he finally gave in and let me have my way. )he couldn't understand how any one would get a cat, let alone pay $200 for one that was retired and "not even wanted any more" (not the case of retired breeders ofcoarse, he just didn't know any better) but I had to keep it out side, (yeah! right!, all five cats here right now are strictly indoor kitties) He LOVES Honey, and I have since got a breeding female, and a male, he loves them dearly, and lets them sleep with him. Infact, I have two males out of the last litter, he won't let me advertise, if they right home comes along, then it was meant to be, and they can take Chance, but he hounds me every day about "how can you adopt out Ares when he is such a good cat, and now that your so attatched" It's not me so attatched, it's him, LOL! he is having a fit that I don't have room for another altered pet, I need another breed/show quality female, not a bunch of fixed pets, LOL!
I'm not sure how any of this has any thing to do with the posts and what I originally was talking about, I guess I just get carried away with things some times
didn't mean for the unrelated ramblings! OOps!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, wait. How are these and toygers any different than puppuykats or even (don't hit me) a bengal or ragdoll? Should we really have this much power over nature?

Forgive me, but I'm not sure I understand how breeds like these are any different than the puggles or bullinese or anything like that. Maybe I'm missing something?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would make the distinction between a reputable breeder experimenting with hybrids and possibly creating a new accepted breed and a backyard breeder or kitten mill the same way I would for a breeder of already accepted breeds. The quality of the cats used in their breeding program, their knowledge of their pedigrees and genetics, the conditions the cats are kept in, how many litters a year the females have, and if the breeding animals are retired at a reasonable age. I have considered getting a Snowshoe which is the result of a hybrid breeding program. They have retained some of the Siamese personality but in a little more laid back quieter form. Some people really like the look of a wild cat and the Ocicat was the result of hybrid breeding of purebred domestic breeds. If nature were allowed to take it's course any male that came across a female in heat would breed with her. The bengal is the result of introducing wild blood into a domestic line and that is a different issue. They have become accepted though and there are now many reputable breeders of bengals. They have a unique personality that many people have fallen in love with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

So, wait. How are these and toygers any different than puppuykats or even (don't hit me) a bengal or ragdoll? Should we really have this much power over nature?

Forgive me, but I'm not sure I understand how breeds like these are any different than the puggles or bullinese or anything like that. Maybe I'm missing something?
That was my point when i started the thread... its like all these "breeders" which some of them may very well be reputable, are trying to create the nex IN pet to have. Its no different than the woman who "created" puppycats or the people i see in my local paper advertising their CHILLHASA's which are chow chow and lhasa apso mixes or their Snoodle's that are schnauzer and poodle cross's and they sell them for 900 and up. Everyone is so into Spay and Nuetering but when you breed even the pedigree cats that is still taking away from a cat in a shelter that could have had a home.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

Some people really like the look of a wild cat
My opinion is that if you're getting a cat because of it's look or you believe you can custom create it's personality....you probably shouldn't get a cat.