Premium Cat Food?

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well my fur-babies currently eat Chicken Soup the kitten formula and it seems great but going threw search i don't see many people using it or commenting very well about the brand? Is it really a good brand of kitten food? How many people like it Pro's Con's? I was going to try EVO but from my understanding it can be a high standard foods for the little guys? I'm also not sure if the would like EVO, they like Chicken Soup i've never used the canned kind but i might? Also what is the big talk on Raw Foods anybody have some sites, i'm doing major research right now on everything since i was going to prepare to look for a bengal. I hear there demanding
not that i am or anything....

Anyways
, how many people like using this brand. Or Nutro i heard its pretty good or Euk? Nobody ever talks much about Eukanaba (I hope i spelled that right lol).

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Chicken Soup and Premium Edge, I switch around on my cats all the time. But i think Chicken Soup is a great brand. I like that it has cranberry in it to help with prevention of UTIs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah i think it's good i never switch because so many people tell me it causes diaharra problems?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it doesn't for mine. If it doesn't for yours then I think you are good to go.

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Never tried so i honestly can't say lol. I might try or blend in a Raw Diet i hear its a very good idea to feed the kitties.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chicken Soup is a very good food, but personally I think it's 2nd tier. Don't panic, it's nowhere near the junk food brands, but it's just a pinch below California Natural and Innova and Innova EVO and Felidae and such. Such a small bit below that many people are debating about it: is it top of the line or just a pinch below?. I wouldn't mind feeding it, if my Molly wasn't already doing so well on Timberwolf Organics (I tried many foods and was about to try Chicken Soup when I found TO, which seems to be the magic food for Molly). Chicken Soup is loads better than Nutro and even more eons better than Eukanuba (which is bottom of the barrel, IMO). I wouldn't mind trying EVO, simply because I believe in variety, but if it doesn't work, head right back to Chicken Soup, lol (or try plain old Innova, which might work better than EVO).

I think that if your cats are doing so well on Chicken Soup, don't switch. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." That's my favorite motto, and everytime I ignore it, bad things happen. They do well on Food A, for example, but I want to experiment with Food B. Food B gives the animals bad gas and diarrhea, so I put them back on Food A. Unfortunately, Food A no longer works at all well so I have to look for a whole new food.

Foods that are good are:
California Natural
Innova/Innova EVO
Felidae
Timberwolf Organics
Chicken Soup For The Pet Lovers' Soul
Flint River Ranch
Blue Buffalo (Spa Select, though I like the cans better than the dry)
Merrick (cans are top of the line, though I think the dry is a little too grain-heavy)
Evangers
Evolve
Nature's Variety Prairie
Wellness
Solid Gold

I want to someday put my cats on a RAW diet but for now, they're on dry with as much wet (canned or raw meat) as I can get. I worry they aren't drinking enough, and Willow already has issues with her bladder (no UTIs that I know of, but she likes to pee out of the box pretty often), and Molly could really benefit from a raw or all-wet diet (her poops stink to high heaven and she's starting to gain weight). But it's Buffy that's slowing us down: I give her meat, and she gives me a distainful look. She likes cans, though, so that'll obviously be the first step.

Raw can be fed manually (you buy the chicken or lamb or whatever and chop them up yourselves, and feed them the proper amounts). It's the most taxing, both time-wise and money-wise, so those who don't feel ready for that (I personally am afraid of feeding the wrong portions, like too much muscle meat and not enough organs, for example), and in that case, there are premade raw meats. Nature's Variety Prairie seems to be a favorite on this forum, they have a RAW line that I've tried once. I have my own favorites, though; my girls tried the Prairie but they didn't quite respond to it (it looked funky to them, since they're more used to mushed, ground up types that I prefer to give them). Some are in the forms of medallions (like Prairie) which can make them more convenient to feed, but like I said, my girls didn't like it much. The outside of the medallions are a different color, from the cooking process, and I've found my girls don't really care for frozen/cold cooked meat. I prefer a different brand (of which I can never remember the name of, lol) that comes in little containers, and the meat is all ground up. I let it thaw out and then spoon out portions for my girls, and they eat like savages. RAW can be in different formulas, like canned food and dry food. The brand I like best (of which I can't remember the name of
) has several different brands, like Chicken, Lamb, Ostrich, Duck, and I think Elk? I haven't tried the last brand, but the cats go crazy for Chicken and Lamb and Duck, though they had a hard time liking the Ostrich. I ended up giving it to my dog, lol

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank You Aussie
. I was going to try chicken i need to research for these canned meats lol. **On Ward To Site Digging**

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chicken soup is a good brand ... I occational give they wet to my girls... It is great for the price and compares out to Nutro, Cal natural, Innova ,Solid gold , Timberwolf( looks great cant use it ) , Nature variety ( the freeze dried raw has my attention) Eagle pack ( the refomulated holistic) ... IMHO good wet is much easier to find than dry

I dont adivse feeding dry and raw unless YOU REALLY know what your doing
as they digest at different rates.....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyPaws

Here are some really good sites i found that i think you guys should look at
. She lists some type Kitten Brands for Dry & Wet Foods. Along with information on feeding Raw diets.

http://cats.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/rawfooddiet_2.htm

http://cats.about.com/cs/kittencare/...en_canfood.htm

http://cats.about.com/cs/kittencare/...en_dryfood.htm
She write s alot of good basic info

I feed the dog raw and one cat partial raw ( I use my vet for info as well as a few experts on here )

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll have to talk to my vet about it sounds like a good idea