Bathroom Monitor

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Gracie is a very sweet little girl, but a bit of an odd little critter as well

She's done this "Bathroom Moniter" thing since she was a tiny kitten.
It doesn't bother anyone in the house and it's not annoying in anyway I've just always found it odd.

Every single time ANYONE in this house goes to that bathroom Gracie will come from no matter where in the house she is, so that she can go into the bathroom with you.
You sit down, she sits down right in front of you and stares at you the whole time.

If my Husband or one of my Sons goes into the bathroom she jumps up on the back of the toilet tank so she can stare at them.

Like I said it doesn't bother anyone, it's just kind of strange and I could never figure out why she does it...and I still can't figure out how she knows someone is going to the bathroom...she could be another room sleeping and somehow she never misses anyones trip to the bathroom

It's not just us she does it to, if someone is visiting she does the same thing to them.

Anyone else have a cat with a bathroom fixation or is Gracie just a furry little goofball?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have always done this. I figure they have a captive audience when someone is in the bathroom. You're stuck there, and you will have to pay attention to them.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, Trout is a little monitor too..she stares right at me..and then (ew) tries to investigate whatever it was I put in the toilet
..of course I don't let her..and then she meows at me because she wants to see

She gets back on the toilet tank sometimes too..she thinks she has a better chance that way of checking out whats going on...ew!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never get to go to the bathroom alone. I have an entourage with me each time.

Abby comes with me and uses the litter box, or lays at my feet so I can pet her. Or she jumps up on the sink and sits and watches me or lays in the sink.

Chynna comes in and either uses the litter box, or gets a drink of water, or sits beside me on the floor tapping me on the leg with her paw indicating she wants "up" and to be cuddled.

I live alone and have virtually no privacy, LOL

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's just my husband and I with our large family of cats. We quit closing the door behind us and I can't remember the last time I didn't have at least 1 cat with me when I go - usually it's 3 or 4.

Hey, at least Gracie doesn't jump up behind you while you are sitting and stick her arm into the bowl behind you. Bob used to do that and we nixed that pretty quick!

Gracie is quite normal!! She does have you as a captive audience!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm happy to know that Gracie isn't the only "monitor" out there.
Lizzie could care less about going to the bathroom with us, Annabelle has tried a few times but Gracie always gets there first and she gives Annabelle a swat so she leaves.
I guess Gracie figures she got there first and she's going to be the only one that gets to supervise!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, absolutely normal for cats to supervise the human's bathroom visits. Our toilet and tub are next to each other so cats will sit on the edge of the tub so they can be petted.

I have a friend - male - whose cat poked its paw in his urine stream. Only happened once, though!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get up in the morning and say to Old Pete, "Ok Pete, let's go pee" and off we would go.

Troika more often than not, ended up in the shower with me.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to the bathroom is a social event.
Try having 6 trying to stuff themselves into a tiny half bath with you while you simply just want to go potty.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo will sometimes accompany me to the bathroom and use her box while I'm using mine. I guess this is some kind of gesture of sisterhood...or something...

The funniest thing is when I am taking a shower. Gizmo will come into the bathroom and very ostentatiously wash herself, as if to show me how to do it better.
I tell her that human beings can't use their tongues like that and even if we could, it would take too long!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellington and Dushka have to be with me in the bathroom or toilet. If Persil happens to be around she will come in as well and inspect everything before I flush! Wellington has a habit of jumping on my shoulder when I am on the potty, and he is a big boy. They all love the bath and sit on the edge and play with the water. Every one has fallen in at some time.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mister always follows DH and uses his litter at the same time

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All of my cats do that too. Well, they follow ME at least. One learned the hard way not to follow my hubby and that cat passed the word on to the others to not go in there while he is going to the bathroom too.

To make a long story short, the cat that went into the bathroom with my hubby came back out with a wet head(and it wasn't water!)

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

All of my cats do that too. Well, they follow ME at least. One learned the hard way not to follow my hubby and that cat passed the word on to the others to not go in there while he is going to the bathroom too.

To make a long story short, the cat that went into the bathroom with my hubby came back out with a wet head(and it wasn't water!)
Ahh the disadvantages of being female

My cats are bathroom monitors also. Viola comes in and uses her litterbox while I'm on the toliet and then Natasha comes in just to get attention.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I never get to go to the bathroom alone. I have an entourage with me each time.

I live alone and have virtually no privacy, LOL
same here, altho not an entourage - they take turns! Chip always pays a visit... Cable sometimes, Java sometimes, Pixel rarely. this is for potty breaks. for baths, everyone is usually present at sometime. yesterday, the 3 girls kept me company for most of my bath, but Chip didn't attend for some reason.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Brady isn't doing it YET. Sophia will come in and put her paw on my knee-it is as if she feels like she has to hold my hand while I am using the "magic water bowl".

cutie1515

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4 month old female (emma) will wake up if she hears you sit down on the toilet and with my b-f...she jumps on the back of the toilet...and she tried to swat and bat at his stream of urine...and when your goin, sometimes it's kinda hard to stop so he has to dodge her paw. I think they rather enjoy the game...but i told my b-f that if she gets pee on her ...he's given her the bath...and goodluck with that.

just thought i'd share my funny story

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

My Gracie is a very sweet little girl, but a bit of an odd little critter as well

She's done this "Bathroom Moniter" thing since she was a tiny kitten.
It doesn't bother anyone in the house and it's not annoying in anyway I've just always found it odd.

Every single time ANYONE in this house goes to that bathroom Gracie will come from no matter where in the house she is, so that she can go into the bathroom with you.
You sit down, she sits down right in front of you and stares at you the whole time.

If my Husband or one of my Sons goes into the bathroom she jumps up on the back of the toilet tank so she can stare at them.

Like I said it doesn't bother anyone, it's just kind of strange and I could never figure out why she does it...and I still can't figure out how she knows someone is going to the bathroom...she could be another room sleeping and somehow she never misses anyones trip to the bathroom

It's not just us she does it to, if someone is visiting she does the same thing to them.

Anyone else have a cat with a bathroom fixation or is Gracie just a furry little goofball?
There is about a one inch space below our bathroom door. Sould anybody close the door when they go into the bathroom what they will see is a claw probing all over under the door just as far as it can reach.