College comp draft.. someone help!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I'm in this class at school that's required for students who will be going to college after graduation, and we were assigned the worst paper in the world. Ever. I need help.

We are supposed to be writing about an American "icon", and it can be a person, a thing, a book, a song, a place.. pretty much anything. I used a search engine to get some ideas, and I found a pretty decent page (link) about Disney Land as an icon, but I want some ideas from other people. I'm supposed to be able to write about these things:

- How it connects to American values.
- Why it will still be meaningful in 20 years.
- Significance to me (I know I have to answer on my own.. but yeah.. not too sure what to say.)

The draft is actually due in my final class tomorrow, but I've been putting it off.. because I hate this class and have no clue what to write. Please help!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My advice: only do Disney land if you want to.

Also, you could widen it to Disney - it would be easier to write a little about a lot of different things - the movies, the characters, etc.

Is there any 'Great American Novel' you've ever really loved - something by Toni Morison, or perhaps something older like To kill a mockingbird?

One of the Washington monuments would be easy to get info on - the Lincoln memorial perhaps? Arlington National Cemetary? Personally, I would pick Arlington.

How long does it have to be?

On Arlington:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlingt...ional_Cemetery - basic info to see if it grabs you; also some good links at the bottom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

My advice: only do Disney land if you want to.

Also, you could widen it to Disney - it would be easier to write a little about a lot of different things - the movies, the characters, etc.

Is there any 'Great American Novel' you've ever really loved - something by Toni Morison, or perhaps something older like To kill a mockingbird?

One of the Washington monuments would be easy to get info on - the Lincoln memorial perhaps? Arlington National Cemetary? Personally, I would pick Arlington.

How long does it have to be?

On Arlington:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlingt...ional_Cemetery - basic info to see if it grabs you; also some good links at the bottom.
I'm not really sure what I want to write about.. so I just thought it might be easy. Someone's already writing about Disney.. so I don't really want to do it if I know someone else is. TKAM would probably be good to write about, but I'm not too sure what to say. I really don't like this paper.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing that comes to mind is a book I read a while back called Bowling Alone by Robert Putnam it compared the decline of the once very popular sport of bowling in America (as a standard for the decline in 'society') against different factors.

Its not exactly what you are looking for, but there is a lot of info about it on the web and if you read through a bit of that it may point you in the right direction.