Kitters acting a little different.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, On Monday Oct. 16 Kitters went for her annual FCRC shot and had her check-up. Everything was fine with her. She's at her perfect weight and she looked real good. Brought her home and she was normal as ever, no sleepyness, etc. Sunday Oct. 21 Kitters woke up from her nap, followed me into the bathroom (as usual) but was walking like her foot was asleep. She went to her potty then back into the bedroom and went back to sleep. I checked her sleeping and started inspecting her feet. Her back right foot seemed to be bothering her. No swelling, temp was the same as the others. Watched her thoughout the night, moved her bed to the floor (though she chose to jump up on to a new bed high up) Monday she started walking without the limp/funny walk but did seem to be favoring that foot, being careful with it. As the week has gone on, there seems to be no pain in her foot, she is walking normal, putting pressure on it, speading all her toes, and doesn't care if I touch it or push on it. Thing is... She's sleeping a lot! I mean, she normally sleeps a lot, but it just seems excessive. A few things in the house are different. 1. I have had Saturday, Sunday & Monday off for three weeks now. Normally I only get Sunday off. 2. Her daddy hasn't been leaving the house for two weeks now. Normally I take him out two nights a week or so and we are gone for atleast 5 hours. 3. It's getting colder outside and the bedroom is quite nippy. Haven't put up the blanket over the window yet. So all these things are different as well as her getting her shot. She's just sleeping so much, and one odd thing for her is she's been letting me cover her with the blanket. She hates that normally except in the dead of the winter. My husband looked up the distemper part of the shot that they gave her and is worried it's from that, and he's mad that they gave it to her since she's an indoor only cat. I wasn't aware that I could get it without the distemper. She seems almost lethargic, but not really sometimes. She's been eating, going potty, and when she's awake, she's awake, but not real playful or running through the house or anything. Is there any suggestions for what it may be or what I might do to persuade her to wake up and play, or could she just be getting older and her hurting her foot make her realise she may want to slow down! (P.S. I think she hurt the foot jumping out of her bed) She always sleeps so high and the floors are hard)

Thanks Guys.

Worried Fur Momma
SillyJilly

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

Worried Fur Momma
SillyJilly
I'm here for you. I know how it is worrying about our little furkids. After all, I'm the one who spent 3 days in a room with one just so she didn't have to wear an e-collar.

Have you taken her temp to see if she has a slight fever? What does the vet have to say on the subject?

Jana

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Abby has been a little more sluggish herself lately because of the cold temps, but I agree that a call to the vet would be best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you tell me how I can take her temp? How long do I do it for? She feels normal to the touch, all of her paws and ears too. I feel bad saying this but my vet (very good and nice) seem to be more interested in money. So it's always bring her in and we can $$test$$ this, try$$ that. With the foot though they did say watch her for a couple of says and see how she does. We are really poor, but I make sure to get her what she needs. I just can't take her in to get anything else tested. She is very with it when she is awake, I just don't know if she's just cold in the house, or just being lazy or what!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We had an extra digital thermometer and I used that. I put a little k-y jelly on it and had Jeff hold her really tightly. I stuck it in her bum (not a happy one there) and the thermometer took about 10-15 seconds to register. I also liked using the digital thermometers because they have a nice plastic casing that I can write "CATS ONLY" on it.

I'm also thinking that if she is eating, drinking, and etc, she's doing ok and you should just keep an eye on her. Maybe keep a journal on what she is doing so you can see it in black-and-white, not just going on your impressions.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure she needs to see a vet.

Any cat acting different is a clue that something might be up, but the thing with her foot is well weird.

If no-one here can tell you how to do it, ring your vet/er vet and get instructions on taking her tempTtttttttttttttfc(Talin added that part).

Good luck to both of you.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

We had an extra digital thermometer and I used that. I put a little k-y jelly on it and had Jeff hold her really tightly. I stuck it in her bum (not a happy one there) and the thermometer took about 10-15 seconds to register. I also liked using the digital thermometers because they have a nice plastic casing that I can write "CATS ONLY" on it.

I'm also thinking that if she is eating, drinking, and etc, she's doing ok and you should just keep an eye on her. Maybe keep a journal on what she is doing so you can see it in black-and-white, not just going on your impressions.
I think the journal is a good idea cuz yesterday to me she seemed to be pepping up more but hubby thinks opposite. We are up at different hours. I will definately work on getting her temp taken! (SOMEHOW!)

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

I'm pretty sure she needs to see a vet.

Any cat acting different is a clue that something might be up, but the thing with her foot is well weird.

If no-one here can tell you how to do it, ring your vet/er vet and get instructions on taking her tempTtttttttttttttfc(Talin added that part).

Good luck to both of you.
I'm going to call them again in the AM and see what they say now.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

I'm going to call them again in the AM and see what they say now.
That's a good idea - at least you'll hopefully feel reassured for checking in with the vet.

Good luck!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok.. I took her temp and she is at 100.4 which from what my vet said and what I've read 100-101 is normal cat temp. I opened a pouch of her food and she woke up and came out and ate it without me calling her or anything (pouches are treats not an everyday thing so she was not expecting it). She ate almost all of it which is where she normally stops at. She's cleaning her face and paws and I tempted her with her string which she did follow but not chase. Still working on it. She seems better but I don't know, maybe she's just cold!
When daddy gets up I will have him put the blanket up over the window.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Yes - see if the blanket helps. Also, I would still do some journaling over the next few days - just observations of when she eats, drinks, etc, how much activity is she showing. If anything, you can keep it and see if she has similar reactions in the future.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She just turned 6.

I wanted to update everyone as well. I turned the heat up more and put the blanket over the window. She has been awake for over three hours. She's been walking through the house, eating, and watching me try to entice her with her toys. She is laying on the bed sprawled (ok, just regular laying) but not curled into a ball. I turned the heat up hours and hours ago. Found her sleeping in the laundry in the bathroom which I know was at 74. Then we started cooking dinner which always raises the temp in the bedroom, and as we started dinner I put up the blanket on the window. The temp has gone up in just the little while it is 80 in here now, which it doesn't seem like it though, still getting a little breeze but much better.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound a bit as if she was under the weather. Or doesn't want to walk on her paw. You know cats - they're very stoic and don't like to show pain. How's it going today?

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, six is probably too young for what I was thinking of - a little stiffness from aging. I suppose it's another thing to ask the vet when you call.

I hope you're all doing better today!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
C'mon Kitters - get back to your usual wonderful self. The kitties at Smudge's Cafe are missing you.