Jake is sick again

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jake is sick again and I'm just beside myself.
We really need prayers and TCS vibes. I noticed a while back that his fur wasn't filling out like it usually does in the fall. And then I noticed he wasn't eating as much. Then it got to the point I could tell he lost weight. I weighed him and he was down 3 lbs. That's a lot. And he's always been a lean cat so he only weighed about 9 lbs anyway. I haven't noticed any of the sores like he had last time so I'm hoping I caught it fast enough to prevent that. But he has lost some fur on the back of his legs. He has been isolating himself and just doesn't have much energy.

So the vet says lupus can reapear with stress and I'm sure I know what stressed him. It was when I brought the kitten into the home and cared for him for a short time. At least that is when it all started. Jake really reacted very negatively to the kitten and began isolating then.

I've put Jake back on Transfer Factor and thank God he's gained back 2.5 lbs. I've also been syringe feeding him high calorie supplement with the T.F. He is drinking a lot of water but still just barely nibbles at his food. He still isolates himself but he's coming out a bit more often. His eyes are bright and he doesn't seem to be as out of it as he was. But I'm still really worried and just don't know how much I can take. He's walking a bit weird on his back legs but I checked his toes and I can't see any pus or anything. And his claws move in and out like they should. (Remember, his toes were all clogged shut with pus before and he ended up losing his claws.)

Anyway, please keep us in your thoughts.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, Tamme, I'm sorry he's gotten sick again, and will keep my fingers crossed that he makes another remarkable recovery. At least his symptoms aren't as bad as last time, and he's already regaining weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Awww, Tamme, I'm sorry he's gotten sick again, and will keep my fingers crossed that he makes another remarkable recovery. At least his symptoms aren't as bad as last time, and he's already regaining weight.
Thanks. I'm wondering if he's not eating much now because I'm feeding him that high calorie gel supplement. I've been thinking about stopping that and seeing if he eats food. I just hate to do that because he loses weight so fast.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Poor baby, I hope he starts getting better. It is amazing how they lose weight so quickly. So fatten up little guy and start eating for Mom.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear Jake isn't feeling well, but was very glad by the end of reading your first post, that he's regained so much of the 3 lbs. he'd lost. That and the bright eyes
is encouraging.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I am sorry to hear Jake isn't feeling well, but was very glad by the end of reading your first post, that he's regained so much of the 3 lbs. he'd lost. That and the bright eyes
is encouraging.
Yeah, that is encouraging that at least he's gained a good part of the weight back. I just wish he'd quit hiding in my walk in closet and start eating more of his food.

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes. Keep them coming!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll be keeping both you & Jake in my thoughts. It is very encouraging that he is reagaining the weight...and that shine in his eyes is there. Get better my little kitty friend!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm praying for Jake. I hope you don't have to go through all of that again.

I'm happy to hear that he is putting on the weight he lost. Please Jake, keep on gaining weight and get back to being your normal sweet self.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the well wishes and prayers. Jake seems to be doing better today. I came home from work and he had only eaten about 7 grams of food all day (I weigh it every morning and put him in a room by himself). But when I opened the door of the room he's in, he was waiting at the door to come out. Now he hasn't done that in over a week. So he came out and I brought his bowl of food out and sat it next to the sofa where I was sitting. And he started eating it. He didn't eat a lot but more then I've seen him eat in probably two weeks. And he's out in the living area sticking his nose in the faces of the other cats and stuff. So I think this is a really good sign! I'll keep you posted.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tamme, I've only just seen this. I'm glad to hear that Jake is feeling better than he was and has put back most of the weight he lost. Nice developments today, too. Nonetheless, mega vibes on their way for continued improvement.
Lord knows, you and Jake don't need to go through the ordeal you went through before!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is so hard when our babies are not well.
Every tiny improvement is like the sun coming out on cloudy day.
Precious Jake will be in my prayers.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. He is doing so much better today. I was so scared he'd end up like he did before. I don't know if anyone can imagine the pins and needles I've been on! Ok... probably most of you can imagine. Especially those of you who saw Jake's condition the first time he came down with this.

Looks like it's no more rescueing kittens for me. I don't ever want to cause Jake any stress like that again!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tammie I also just saw this. Sending lots of healthy vibes to the little man Jake. It does sound very encouraging how he's snapped back and gained back the weight, and now being a bit mischevious again.
Go Jake!