What do we do?

faganfamily1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a little kitten that we rescued from outside. She is very loving and affectionate, and will sit in your lap- but she does not like her nails clipped. It has gotten to the point whrere we think if we try again she will bite. We have been stroking her when she is sitting with us- and also stroking her paws. Should we just find an alternate route for her claws? And we just tried to wipe her down with a cloth- she was not too happy about that either.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure someone with more experience with the Soft Claws will be along to help you shortly, but good luck!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't say how long you have had her but she may just need more time to settle down. I would just continue to handle her paws and open them gently every time she is on your lap for quite a while before trying to clip. She will gradually get used to it and may even like it - my Dushka starts purring when I stroke her separated toes! Then eventually you can clip them, maybe just one or two at each session. But some cats never like it and sometimes it is even a vet job to do it!

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Jenny.

When we got Mav we spent ages squeezing and stroking her paws very gently when we played or petted her and even though she is the meanest cat on earth, and the vets have dubbed her 'hissing sid' she will allow them to cut her claws no fuss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faganfamily1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have had mirabelle since september...thanks for all the advice everyone- we havent even gotten to the stage of where she will let us seperate her toes yet.

Does anyone have any advice about her not liking to be picked up??

Shani

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by faganfamily1

We have had mirabelle since september...thanks for all the advice everyone- we havent even gotten to the stage of where she will let us seperate her toes yet.

Shani
We humans have to learn a lot about patience when we are owned by cats.
Just give her some time and keep touching her feet. Sometimes it's best to do the claws while they are still groggy from sleep.

Some cats really just don't like to be picked up and it may not be something you can change. Our Ebony would sit on the arm of the lazy-boy chair with me but if I pulled him gently into my lap he would leave.

jwinston33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It took Lucky awhile to learn to accept having his claws clipped. I played with his feet whenever we had a cuddle session. Basically I stuck my finger between the pad of his feet and his toes, this causes kittens to extend their claws (I know, i don't get it either), and then, once he was ok with that, I played with each toe gently. If it bothered him or he tried to nip, I just switched to a head scratch.
After about a week, when he was calm aka about to fall asleep, I tried clipping. Having him relaxed helped because I wasn't fighting a squirming kitten. When it started to bothered him, he would go to bite, so I would quickly put away the clippers and pet him and give him a treat. It took about four times to get his claws clipped, but I kept this up every week, and this last week I was able to cut front and back claws while he just purred and accepted it. Deffinatly keep it up because if she is still relatively young, she'll get used to it and it will be alot easier for you once she gets older.

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wait for mine to be in a particularly good mood (catnip helps) and go to where they are to clip their nails. None of them really like being picked up, but they're all affectionate in their own ways. So I wait until they're laying on the couch or the bed and do them there. If I can get one paw done at a time before they get too wiggly and squirmy, I'm happy. Then I get the next paw the next day.

Alternately, your vet or a groomer can clip them for around $10. Some clients pick up a mild tranquilizer to give a few hours before they attempt to clip nails.

trinettec

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faganfamily1

Shani
If she is like Dianna, it always has to be her idea. Dianna will come and stand up and put her paws on my leg as if to say pick me up. When I do we have the best snuggle time, but if it isn't her idea she will run off in a huff.