Water POORING into my apartment!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, all the sudden all this water started flowing through my cieling onto my floor..

Its pooring out!!!! I don't know what to do, I called the landlord and she isn't answering her phone!!!!!!!!!!!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
grab your trash can quick to try to catch the water! Get all valuables, etc off the floor, protect your electronics, etc. You may want to knock on the door of the apartment above you.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man! I've been in that situation!

All you can do is put something underneath to catch the water.

I live in an 8 story apartment on the 7th floor. I purposefully didn't pick the top floor because roofs have a tendancy to leak. Imagine my surprise when the first spring that I was here my bathroom ceiling started to leak! Turns out that the drain from the roof connects above my bathroom and not the apartment above, so lucky me! Every year for 8 years I've had a leaky bathroom ceiling and my ceiling torn up and open for it to dry out almost 4 months of the year. They've since replaced the roof, so last year I didn't have any leaks.

Then there was the time when my upstairs neighbour's toilet would spray water through my ceiling whenever he flushed!!!! GROSS! I had to move my toilet tank wall unit out and balance a plastic dish pan on the top held down with jugs of water to so it wouldn't topple down on me. Talk about inconvenient especially given the location....above my toilet. It only took them 3 weeks to get someone out and fix it and at that I had to argue with the plumber and insist it was only happening when the guy flushed. Finally he believed me and went upstairs to look and sure enough it was the guys toilet that was the problem, not the roof!

Anyway, keep trying to call your landlord, but in the meantime put some plastic pails and pots under the leaks.

If you find the water is spreading out and hard to catch... use some large green trash bags and cut open the closed end and tape the bad to the ceiling around the leaking area. The water will drip down the bag. Tape a few bags together to make it longer if you need to so that it reaches to pan. This helps with that nasty drip, drip, drip sound and splashing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my landlord lives above me and she is not home!! I don't know where it could be coming from..

The stream seems to have slowed down now..thank goodness.

I actually don't have anything around the leak..it is in the hallway, so its just the floor that will be ruined.

I told her that is was leaking earlier this week, and she said she would fix it!!!! AND the water is yellow!!! EW!

STUPID LANDLORD

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would move everything off of the floor that could potentially get wet and elevate it....then put a shower curtain down on the floor so the water doesn't seep into the floor and ruin it (if it hasn't been ruined already)..then put a bucket or something on top of the shower curtain to catch the water. I would go up to her apartment door and bang on it- see if she's there and just not answering her phone. I'd call her till you get her- damp floors can cause mold, and mold can make you sick- as a landlord, it's her reponsibility to fix it for you- don't let her off easy, make sure she repairs everything- you're paying rent for a nice clean apartment- not a leaky one. Stand up for yourself (kindly)....and let her know that it should have been reparied the first time you called it to her attention, not after there is a huge leak in the hallway ceiling.
it'll be ok. If the floor has been ruined after the leak is repaired- by law, the landlord has to replace it. so make them repair it if it needs it.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did go up and knock on her door..no luck.

Now the water seems to have stopped, but I am supposed to go out in about half an hour, I don't know if I should because what if the water comes back?? Or what if my landlord finally comes home and I won't be here?

Should I go? I have plans to skating with a friend...I'm sure I could reschedule if need be.

what do you guys think?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I would move everything off of the floor that could potentially get wet and elevate it....then put a shower curtain down on the floor so the water doesn't seep into the floor and ruin it (if it hasn't been ruined already)..then put a bucket or something on top of the shower curtain to catch the water. I would go up to her apartment door and bang on it- see if she's there and just not answering her phone. I'd call her till you get her- damp floors can cause mold, and mold can make you sick- as a landlord, it's her reponsibility to fix it for you- don't let her off easy, make sure she repairs everything- you're paying rent for a nice clean apartment- not a leaky one. Stand up for yourself (kindly)....and let her know that it should have been reparied the first time you called it to her attention, not after there is a huge leak in the hallway ceiling.
it'll be ok. If the floor has been ruined after the leak is repaired- by law, the landlord has to replace it. so make them repair it if it needs it.
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I did go up and knock on her door..no luck.

Now the water seems to have stopped, but I am supposed to go out in about half an hour, I don't know if I should because what if the water comes back?? Or what if my landlord finally comes home and I won't be here?

Should I go? I have plans to skating with a friend...I'm sure I could reschedule if need be.

what do you guys think?
If you do what Nikki suggests and feel comfortable leaving, then it might be ok. Otherwise, you may want to cancel your plans until the source of the water is determined and stopped.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would make the leak issue a priority & re-schedule.
Leave a note on the landlords door that you have a leak that may be coming from their apartment & please contact you immediately.
Do you have their phone #?
Leave a message on their answer machine if they have one.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like somethings leaking in her place! Yes - make sure everything is secure, covered, pots out to catch the water and a note on her door!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I noticed hasn't been mentioned to you yet, make sure you take pictures and have your LL sign a statement that the water leak damage is NOT your fault. Otherwise it could bite you in the butt later when you try to move out. Trust me, I've had LL's like that, and they've kept my security deposit because of one thing or another that wasn't even my fault.
So being a LL myself now, I respect that lesson and will never be that bad, but I will also give you the truth about them.
Your LL sounds like mine was, a true scumlord. I hope everything gets resolved.
(oh and I'd reschedule your plans so your home when the LL returns from where ever hs/she is.)

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any updates?
Pesonally, wouldn't have left till the LL came home. And make sure everything is off the walls too - water can leak down and ruin things. Just play it safe and move everything. You'll probably need to anyway when they come to repair the ceiling.

Then there was the time when my upstairs neighbour's toilet would spray water through my ceiling whenever he flushed!!!!
OMG, that's the most disgusting thing I've ever heard!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I left her a message saying I would be gone a couple of hours and that she can come in while I'm not here.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your landlord sounds pretty unreliable if you told her about the leak she should have done something about it then. We are having the same issue but in the bathroom. I hope that it doesn't do what yours did

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would not leave my place until the landlord came and saw what was happening.

She may just end up blaming you.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

One thing I noticed hasn't been mentioned to you yet, make sure you take pictures and have your LL sign a statement that the water leak damage is NOT your fault. Otherwise it could bite you in the butt later when you try to move out. Trust me, I've had LL's like that, and they've kept my security deposit because of one thing or another that wasn't even my fault.
So being a LL myself now, I respect that lesson and will never be that bad, but I will also give you the truth about them.
Your LL sounds like mine was, a true scumlord. I hope everything gets resolved.
(oh and I'd reschedule your plans so your home when the LL returns from where ever hs/she is.)
That is an excellent suggestion! I would definitely do this

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I left her a message saying I would be gone a couple of hours and that she can come in while I'm not here.
I would take pictures of the leak and damaged floor before you leave in case she comes in after you've left and tries to "clean it up"....and doesn't do a good job- that could come back around to you loosing your deposit when you get ready to move if she tries that on you.

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you are having a hard time getting that water problem fixed Here are some good vibes so that your landlord will get that fixed up for you soon. )))GOOD VIBES(((

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I just got back home, and she isn't home yet. I did take pics of the damage and all the pots and bowls holding the water.

My landlord isn't an awful person or anything..she is just lazy I think. I doubt she would try to blame me for this..There is no way I could have made water come out of the ceiling..

Weird thing though...the dogs are outside now which means the landlords daughter is home...well, if she is home, why didn't she answer the door when I was banging on it earlier?...both cars were here

:censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor: :censor::censor::censor::censor:.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are your apartments laid out the same? Was it a toilet that broke, a very large fish tank? Wouldn't be a pipe it would still be running in. Any ideas?