Kitten Licking

cindercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help. I adoped two kittens (Brother & Sister) from my vet. I have a 3yr old female cat too. The kittens were about 2 months old when I received them. The weird thing I need advice on: Whenever I sit down to type on the computer, the female kitten jumps up onto my chest/shoulder area and just starts licking my face. If I move my head, she puts her paws up to stop me. She sometimes also bites my earlobe (mostly), sometimes my nose or chin. Her little tongue is rough and it hurts. I don't know how to stop her from doing this constantly. I've never hat a cat do this to this extent. A couple of times I've had to put her on the floor. I should mention that they are both going to be fixed on Nov. 10th. I appreciate your help. Thank you

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I am reaching here, but are you wearing anything on your face such as makeup, etc., when all this face licking occurs? This one is so obvious I hate to even ask but if I happen to miss and leave a tidbit of shaving cream on my face in the morning, Persi will take care cleaning it off for me while I am at the computer!

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww this sounds so cute!! LOL Although I can see how it would be bothersome if she did it constantly! lol

I dont know what else to say. lol Maybe she is trying to clean your face, as others are suggesting. I know that whenever I have had a manicure, with fake nails, my Trixter will do ANYTHING to try to get them off. He's like "hey, those arent supposed to be there!" lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cindercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, I'm a dufuss. I never thought about the makeup, since I've not had a cat do this before. She is here now and no licking. It must be the makeup. It is kind of funny, especially when she would grab my face so I wouldn't move. You all are awesome! Thank you so much for the help.

cindercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, I still need help. I thought if I washed all the makeup off (Not that I wear alot) my little kitten would stop the licking. She is very aggressive and won't stop. I've now got scratches on my neck and chest now. I'm not sure what to do. Anytime I sit, she hops up and goes to town licking my face & neck. Believe me, I've tried to get her to stop. She now bites my chin & earlobe in between the licking. I've tried tapping her on the nose when she does this, but to no avail. My Sister suggested putting lemon(?) or something else on my face to stop her. Any other time she is very sweet and plays really well with her Brother. I know this all sounds pretty funny, but I could use some more helpful advice.
Thank you!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say she is grooming you and showing that she loves you.Cats groom each other by licking them and that shows their feeling towards each toher also.
I would suggest using something with little smell to it or even some alcohol on your face (it may deture her?)

cindercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Crittermom. I did try lemon juice last night, but that didn't seem to deter her. I'll try the alcohol tomorrow. She is such a sweet kitten and I love all three of my cats. I've never had a cat go to such an extent. I appreciate everyones help.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bijou insisted on suckling my neck and kneading my face with one paw and my neck with the other in the process. He really NEEDED to do this every night before he would settle down to sleep. He has outgrown the need to suckle but still has to have a couple licks on my neck every night before bed. He'll lick, settle down with his head on my pillow facing me, sometimes try to lick my eyelids, then settle with a sigh for sleep.

It just seems to be something he needs - he only does it to me like I'm his mom or something. His claws are definitely trimmed on a regular basis.

cindercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Yosemite. Raven (aka...the licker) seems to need to do this once a night. She's fine otherwise. I've also noticed that she mews a lot to get my attention. Once I sit, she hops up and starts. The last few days she doesn't lick as long. I'm hoping that she will grow out of it a little like your kitty. I think I'm going to have to be a little more patient. Thank you for your insite.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CINDERCAT

Thank you Yosemite. Raven (aka...the licker) seems to need to do this once a night. She's fine otherwise. I've also noticed that she mews a lot to get my attention. Once I sit, she hops up and starts. The last few days she doesn't lick as long. I'm hoping that she will grow out of it a little like your kitty. I think I'm going to have to be a little more patient. Thank you for your insite.
Sounds like she really loves you and thinks you are her mom.
What we won't do for our kitties! She sounds like a beautiful, wonderful kitty.

katiaiken

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten, Abby, licks me on my face, my arms, my feet, my legs, my toes, everywhere! She's a licking machine - but I have to confess, I don't make her stop - I can't! She's the cutest thing!