New Member with ?'s about 1st litter

stephanie_akerm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone~
Intro first I suppose! My name is Stephanie, I'm a SAHM to 4 kids, 6 cats and a new litter of 5 kittens. I have had many cats throughout my life and had never had a litter, we're very big on spaying and neutering. Well, I got lazy with my youngest cat (not mention very pregnant with twins at the time, still no excuse!) and had not spayed her (no flames, I already know I'm terrible!). Anyway, she is quick and escaped from the house a few times and found herself pregnant.

Well, she had her liter October 26 and there were 6. I've had them in a basket with blankets in a big dog carrier. I've been keeping all of the other cats away from the momma and her litter. I thought I had gotten rid of Momma's fleas, but the day after the babies were born I was checking them over and of course they've got fleas. Now it's maybe 1-2 fleas if any on the kittens.

I've done my research here and have been picking them off by hand and I have washed Momma with a bit of Dawn. I've also kept their quarters sparkling, making sure to wash and replace the blankets at least once a day and for sure after a flea picking session. Well, I haven't seen any on Momma but whenever I pick up a kitten, I have seen them here and there. But I'm staying vigilante with it and cleaning them constantly.

Here's my issue (took long enough!) when I checked on them this morning one of the kittens had died. She looked like she may have been laid on, so since this is Momma's first (and only) litter, do you think it's possible she killed it by laying on it, or am I passing the blame? Did I do or not do something right? BTW, these are DSH not purebreds. I'm going to take them to our Cat Clinic this week so hopefully I'll get some more advice on the fleas and maybe an idea on the loss of the kitten. Also they all appear to be nursing fine, seems like they're always doing that! Thanks everyone for any advice or just general comments. Take care~
Stephanie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's my issue (took long enough!) when I checked on them this morning one of the kittens had died. She looked like she may have been laid on, so since this is Momma's first (and only) litter, do you think it's possible she killed it by laying on it, or am I passing the blame? Did I do or not do something right? BTW, these are DSH not purebreds. I'm going to take them to our Cat Clinic this week so hopefully I'll get some more advice on the fleas and maybe an idea on the loss of the kitten. Also they all appear to be nursing fine, seems like they're always doing that! Thanks everyone for any advice or just general comments. Take care~
Welcome Stephanie.....I actually had that happen to me. I was fostering a litter of kittens and one had a really bad case of pneumonia. I had taken her to the vet...tried to feed her KMR and give her the medicine that they recommended. One night I left to volunteer at the rescue and came back to discover her dead. I suspect that mom did end her life...but out of kindness..not out of maliciousness.

There simply could have been something wrong with the kitten that died (she could have had an illness) and a mother cat's first instinct is to protect those kittens that are healthy (as well as help the one that is sick out of it's misery).

Definately let us know what the clinic advises you regarding the kitten's death.

Katie

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it is very possible that the mama cat may have accidentally lain on the kitten and killed it. The most kittens one of my cats had was 4 and I know with her I was constantly having to listen for muffled meow because she would be laying on a kitten. I'm sure with 6 kittens, AND this being her first litter, that mama cat is kind of overwelmed and not quite sure what to do with all the little furballs around her 24/7.

How big is the crate the mama and kittens are in? Does mama have enough room to get away from the kittens if she wants? I moved my cat to a bigger box and that seemed to help a bit. Also, is mama allowed out when she wants? Again, my cat would sometimes just want to get out of the box and stretch out on the floor nearby to have some freedon while the kittens slept.

i's not your fault, things happen and it is very common for kittens to die, especially when there are alot. The best thing you can do is to not worry about the kitten that dies but to do your best to take care of the ones that are still alive. If you want to know how the kitten died then you can take it's body to the vet and they may be able to tell you how it happened.

Good luck with your kittens! Also, keep up the good work with the spaying and nuetering. If you've had lots of cats all your life and this is your first litter than I must say that you are doing alot better than most of the rest of us!LOL!
(If you don't believe me, just look at all the post about pregnant cats!)

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is pretty common to lose one kitten from a litter. It is pretty expensive to pay for a necropsy (having the vet check for cause of death). I doubt if they would do it on a kitten so young.

One idea to give Momma more room with the kittens is to put a wood shelf in the crate for her to jump up on. My crate is tall, and has two shelves. They just have nails hammered into the ends of the shelves, but still sticking out about 1/2 inch, to catch the wires of the crate.

Good luck with the fleas...sounds like you are doing what you can.

I do suggest getting an inexpensive scale from Walmart. Then you can weigh the babies daily, and will know if anyone isn't gaining daily. Especially since you have fleas, which often means worms, too. As for the vet...did you make an appt? My foster agency doesn't take kittens to the vet until they are 6-8 weeks old and ready for vaccinations, unless they seem sick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanie_akerm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks ladies for all of the advice and help! Another friend agrees that she probably did lay on the kitten, so I'm going with that.

I have them in a large dog crate with a three sided laundry basket (I cut off one short side so she can get in and out easily) in the back of it with a blanket in that. Do you think I should put a heating pad on low under the blanket? There is enough room for her to get up and lay at the other side of the kennel.

When I'm in the kitchen I open the door for her and she comes out and lays on the floor in front of the kennel to watch them. She has gone out to the garage to use the litter box and eat some food, I do have some kitten food and some water in the kennel just for her at all times too. But I think she really needs a break once in a while from all them kids! I know I do too! (Oh and don't worry, we don't open the garage door, we just keep the litter boxes and food out there.)

BTW, I have worked as a Vet Assistant in the past, for over 5 years, so you'd think I'd know what to do, but like they say, it's different when it's your own. But I'm going to cave in and call the cat vet I worked for awhile back and see what she thinks. She's a great vet, and I left without giving notice, but maybe I can soften her up with the kittens? I'll post what I find out. And thank you all so much for making me feel welcome, I think I'll stick around!

Stephanie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I'm in the kitchen I open the door for her and she comes out and lays on the floor in front of the kennel to watch them. She has gone out to the garage to use the litter box and eat some food, I do have some kitten food and some water in the kennel just for her at all times too. But I think she really needs a break once in a while from all them kids! I know I do too! (Oh and don't worry, we don't open the garage door, we just keep the litter boxes and food out there.)
Hey Stephanie....one thing I would do is move mom's litterbox into the room where you have her and her kittens. The reason is that if the kittens see mom using the litterbox...it will help when it is time for the kittens to wean to see mom using the box. What I did was use xerox boxes that were discarded from my work to put the litter in for mom and I used the box top for a litterbox for the kittens.

Katie

stephanie_akerm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Hey Stephanie....one thing I would do is move mom's litterbox into the room where you have her and her kittens. The reason is that if the kittens see mom using the litterbox...it will help when it is time for the kittens to wean to see mom using the box. What I did was use xerox boxes that were discarded from my work to put the litter in for mom and I used the box top for a litterbox for the kittens.

Katie
Thanks for the advice Katie! Should I start that now? Or could I wait until the kittens have their eyes open? Either way, I'm doing it!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanie_akerm

Thanks for the advice Katie! Should I start that now? Or could I wait until the kittens have their eyes open? Either way, I'm doing it!
You can wait till they are around 3 to 4 weeks of age....but you need to also switch from clumping litter to either clay or a biodegradable litter because clumping litter isn't good for little kittens (they could accidentally digest it). You can switch back once the kittens are around 3 months of age.

Katie

stephanie_akerm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

You can wait till they are around 3 to 4 weeks of age....but you need to also switch from clumping litter to either clay or a biodegradable litter because clumping litter isn't good for little kittens (they could accidentally digest it). You can switch back once the kittens are around 3 months of age.

Katie
I only use clay litter anyway. With 6 cats it's much cheaper! Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
Stephanie

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mitten's (presumed) first litter, she had 7 kittens and then on the second night, she must have layed on or just been ignoring since birth because in the morning (I think I remember right) I went to check in on them and the little one was pushed aside and half under the blanket dead. I think there was something wrong with her, so the mama knew best.

stephanie_akerm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

Mitten's (presumed) first litter, she had 7 kittens and then on the second night, she must have layed on or just been ignoring since birth because in the morning (I think I remember right) I went to check in on them and the little one was pushed aside and half under the blanket dead. I think there was something wrong with her, so the mama knew best.
Thanks Kallie for sharing that. I'm really thinking it was for the best. Buffy can barely tolerate the 5 she has now, so 1 more may have pushed her over the edge. I tell you what, this whole experience has for sure thought me a lesson. I will NEVER let my cats remain unspayed/unneutered EVER again. If we keep one of the kittens, I'm having it fixed at the same time as Buffy. No more monkey business in this house! (Unless it's me partaking in the monkey business!)