I think Trout is very lonely

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just feel awful.

It's the worst at night time. She doesn't sleep in my room, and that could be why...but she will meow this deep sad "woe is me" meow outside my door for hours. I have to put earplugs in and then I still hear her sometimes. She'll do that a few times throughout the night.

I am not home alot..during the day I work 8 hours and on the weekend sometimes I am gone all day too.

I can't afford another cat, so that is not an option..But I feel really bad for her...she is walking around meowing for no reason right now.

I give her attention when I'm here, but sometimes she'll be on me , and I'll have to get up so alot of the time our cuddle time is cut short.

What do I do?? I feel heartbroken for her.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't think I'm not sensitive, but I want to be sure you've checked into things - are you saying you can't afford another cat because of things like spaying and shots, etc., or do you mean even food? Because I wonder if you were to go to a shelter, get a cat that's young but already been neutered, for basically just whatever (if any) small fee they'd ask, if you really could not manage - cat food really not costing much... If not, then you can't, but sometimes people don't think of older cats (or ones on a notice board at the supermkt "free to a good home").

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww.........please dont feel bad ! You dont mention why you dont let her sleep with you ? maybe you could reconsider - obviously I dont know why

I´m sure Trout understands, she knows you love her loads
and you keep her safe, warm, well fed and loved

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think she's lonely for another cat but she may want more of your attention. I think it might just be the separation she feels when the bedroom door is closed. You don't say why you close her out but maybe that could change? See if it works.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
stoli used to keep me up all night but after a while he got used to being quiet when i'm sleeping. it does take a bunch of sleepless nights but i feel so guilty when he's locked out of my room. . .so i don't do it much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the reason I locked her out originally is because when I first moved here, I had a fly problem..now it is pretty much gone and I didn't want the flies in my room so I kept the door closed... BUT a few months ago, I was suspicious that trout may have gotten fleas because I was in contact with a flea infested kitten...I treated her with revolution for 2 months, and only saw one flea and it was dead..and haven't seen any fleas since..BUT I am paranoid that if she does have any lingering fleas that they will get in my room and bed...and I DO NOT WANT THAT.

So, I don't know if I'm ready to let her sleep with me...because I don't know if she could have any fleas (which I do doubt)..or tapeworm or something (which I don't see any signs of either)...I am just very skittish of weird things in my bed.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Please don't think I'm not sensitive, but I want to be sure you've checked into things - are you saying you can't afford another cat because of things like spaying and shots, etc., or do you mean even food? Because I wonder if you were to go to a shelter, get a cat that's young but already been neutered, for basically just whatever (if any) small fee they'd ask, if you really could not manage - cat food really not costing much... If not, then you can't, but sometimes people don't think of older cats (or ones on a notice board at the supermkt "free to a good home").
Its not the cost of food..it is just the fact that I wouldn't be able to afford expensive vet bills should anything happen to the new cat.. I am only prepared to handle one set of vet bills in case something goes wrong.. I know it can happen because I just spent $800 in March to save Trout. I wouldn't get another cat knowing I might not be able to give it the best care possible. If it was gauranteed that the new cat would never get sick, then I would of course...but thats not logical.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heck, I have two kittens who adore each other and they still fuss outside my door when I go to bed!

I think Trout will be okay. And I do think you are making a good decision about not getting a second cat if you are worried about affording vet bills. Maybe Trout would like a stuffed animal to cuddle with while you sleep? Some cats do like them. Or a soft shirt of yours with your scent on it?

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have many words of wisdom here, and even though it would be nice to have another cat it may not solve your problems. Reilly still scratches and chews things even though he has Sydney to keep him occupied now. Some cats are just more active than others.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You work all day and are gone a lot, the only extended time you are at home you are in your bed sleeping and your poor kitty is not able to be with you.

I agree that she's wanting more time with you and while you play with her when you are home, there is more time when you are home that she's not able to be with you and she misses you.

Open your door and let your kitty snuggle up with you at night. It will make her happy and it will make you happy too because there is nothing like a cute kitty to snuggle with when falling asleep.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I will just start letting her in at night..I do feel really bad when she stands outside my door and meows..I really don't think she has any fleas anymore......perhaps I will try tonight to let her in.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a flea comb? Geive her a thorough combing and if you find nothing, I'd say it was safe to let her sleep with you. It would make night times happier for you both.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Do you have a flea comb? Geive her a thorough combing and if you find nothing, I'd say it was safe to let her sleep with you. It would make night times happier for you both.
I don't have a flea comb...I should buy one I think..

I don't have any bites, and Trout doesn't scratch alot at all anymore..but cats probably scratch even with no fleas sometimes right...? I have never seen any flea dirt either...just that one dead flea 2 months ago on my sink.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Well, the reason I locked her out originally is because when I first moved here, I had a fly problem..now it is pretty much gone and I didn't want the flies in my room so I kept the door closed... BUT a few months ago, I was suspicious that trout may have gotten fleas because I was in contact with a flea infested kitten...I treated her with revolution for 2 months, and only saw one flea and it was dead..and haven't seen any fleas since..BUT I am paranoid that if she does have any lingering fleas that they will get in my room and bed...and I DO NOT WANT THAT.

So, I don't know if I'm ready to let her sleep with me...because I don't know if she could have any fleas (which I do doubt)..or tapeworm or something (which I don't see any signs of either)...I am just very skittish of weird things in my bed.
Trout is an indoor kitty, right, and you found one dead flea months ago, and treated her. I really doubt very much that you have to worry about her still having fleas, and if she wasn't infested with them, and you've seen no evidence of tape worms in her litter box or on her backside, you're worrying unnecessarily about worms, too.
Let her in the bedroom. There are few things cats enjoy more than cuddling in bed with you, and she'll feel less isolated.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

All I have to add is....

Good Luck Sleeping tonight with Trout!
It makes me nervous that you have a little purple man laughing when you say that

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sleep much better with a batch of kitties keeping me company. DH just hates moving them all when he comes to bed.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is laying on the cable box facing the wall...this is so strange for her..she never lays there..

I am right here, and she doesn't want anything to do with me..I think its too late she already hates me

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She doesn't hate you

I think she's just lonely and missing her meowmy
I'm glad that you decided to leave the door open and let her crawl into bed with you.

Also, a tip if you don't already do it. When you go to work leave the radio on for her. The noise in the apartment might be calming to her and she may not feel so alone when you aren't there.