Clumping litter and hardwood floors...

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before I got my dog, I only had litterboxes downstairs, where I have vinyl tile, so cleanup was easy. Now that the cats pretty much stay upstairs, I've had to add more boxes up there. I have hardwood floors upstairs with throw rugs. I tried vaccuming and mopping up the litter that gets kicked out, but just ended up with a streaky grey mess on the floor.

Are there any products that clean it up clumping litter well? The floors aren't in great shape anyway, so I'm not really upset about it, but I'd like it to look clean without having to refinish the floors.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I don't have that problem and I use "Jonny Cat Scoop". My cats' litter box is in the bathroom which has tile, but it does track into the hall and livingroom area which has hardwood.

All I do is vacuum the floors and then mop the floors with a regular string mop and Mr. Clean and they shine.

It must have something to do with the brand of litter that you are using. Maybe it's clay based?

Try getting a different litter box, one with sides that have 4 flaps that fold over the top towards the inside of the box in order to prevent your cats from shoveling out the litter. Or make a litter box out of a Rubbermaid container. I've seen threads in the Grooming forum about that and some had pictures to show what it looks like. Or you could always try a different brand of litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use a covered box, but Sheba is a thrasher, and Gypsy refuses to let her feet touch the mat in front of the box, and jumps over it.

Mostly, the problem is that I'm a lousy housekeeper and didn't vacuum enough before using a Swiffer mop on it. It just kinda smeared the litterdust into the floorboards.

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorina

I use a covered box, but Sheba is a thrasher, and Gypsy refuses to let her feet touch the mat in front of the box, and jumps over it.

Mostly, the problem is that I'm a lousy housekeeper and didn't vacuum enough before using a Swiffer mop on it. It just kinda smeared the litterdust into the floorboards.
HAHA, oh jeez, they don't want to make this easy for you, huh?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a Koblenz Floor Machine

It isn't a vacuum. It's a machine strictly for washing/scrubbing/scouring and/or waxing/polishing floors/carpets. It has attachments for carpets, tile, stone, etc. It scrubs, scours, shampoos and polishes! I love it. For tough jobs in my kitchen or bathroom I use it and then run over the area with a clean mop. I have it standing in a corner of my kitchen with solution in the cannister so all I have to do is just plug it in and go when I need to.

The scrubbing brushes would probably get that stuff out of the grooves, and then you could use the polishing brushes/pads to buff up the shine.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always use the dustbuster to vaccume up the stray litter pieces outside of the litter pan before I clean up the floor or mop- this helps prevent the grey streaks. Try using a little dustbuster or small broom and dustpan everytime you clean the litter pans and you will see that you won't have as much to clean

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our litter box (covered) is on a parquet floor, so I know what you mean. I always vacuum thoroughly before using a steam cleaner to clean the floors, and use a Dust Buster for daily litter "messes". Have you seen the Booda Dome with steps? I think that would be a perfect solution. Unfortunately, they're unavailable where I live.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/MainPro/...40CA+0663+0750

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A mat in front of the box! How very simple but how smart, I am going to rush out and get me a mat today. Thanks!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

A mat in front of the box! How very simple but how smart, I am going to rush out and get me a mat today. Thanks!
I use a very inexpensive sisel rug that my mom bought. It takes care of "most of the litter".

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've bought the rubber mats just for cat boxes, but found a $2 doormat from WalMart worked better. Larger surface area, and can be vacuumed.

It's too bad I didn't remember to use that upstairs before the floor got all messy.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have the Booda dome and I set that on a large bath towel folded in half on our hardwood floor. I sweep around the litter box area when I clean the litter in the evenings and don't have any problem keeping the floor clean at all. I use WBCL though so I don't have much in the way of dust. Are you using clay litter?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the plastic carpet runners that they sell at home depot, the ones with the little teeth on the bottom. They catch spilled litter and the occasional accident or drip that falls outside the box. On my small box, exclusive for my cystitis cat. Only he pees there, it remarkable how they cooperate. Anyway, under that is an inexpensive cotton revesible rug. Nice and soft for his feet. His peeing in the box is special.