I have to take Jake to the vet.....because of Reilly

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning we woke up to a ruckus in the living room. I went running out to see what was going on. Jake was laying on the couch and Reilly was attacking Jake. She was literally attached to his face. She caught his left eye with her claw and cut his nose really bad. We are calling the vet now and taking him in. His eye is watering and he's keeping it closed. She's had such a temper lately. It's really starting to worry me. We have her locked in the bathroom right now. As soon as I broke up the fight she started to attack the kittens also. I had to grab her with a towel and she still bit and scratched me a couple times. Could I have some vibes for her and Jake? I've never seen her like this before.

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry things are not good for you right now I hope Jake feels better and Reilly gets in a better mood too. Here are some good vibes for you. I hope they help. Keep us updated on how Jake is feeling too.

)))GOOD VIBES((((

Hope all goes ok HUGS

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is just so odd, that Reilly has become so viscious! I wonder if it would help to shut her alone in a room with the kittens once she settles down. If she continues to be violent with them, you may need to separate her from them, too. Are they eating solids well?!?

Poor Reilly...she never should have had to go through this pregnancy...I mean it is bad enough when people don't get their kitties spayed. But to have paid a vet to spay her, and be told it was done...and it wasn't. Just so unfair!

Hugs to you and Reilly. I hope things calm down at your house REAL soon!

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you're going through this. Do you think it might have anything to do with the tuna sub from last night? Maybe she thought she was still "guarding" it? I'm more familiar with resource guarding in dogs than cats (with the scars to prove it!), but my young'un Gracie would get weirdly possessive over some toys when she was little.

I'd consider having Reilly checked when you get a chance. Some medical conditions can cause aggression, so a bloodwork panel may be in order.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poor Jake,Bless his heart. I hope you get to the bottom of what's bothering Reilly. Years ago we had a 18lb male Himalayan and he just went nuts attacking my sis and slapping the floor with his front paws, and come to find out, he had a viral infection that affected his eyesight, he was fine after some meds, I hope there is an easy solution to this problem for you.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, poor innocent Jake...I hope he'll be okay..

Man, I wonder what could be wrong with Reilly. Vibes that Jake will be okay, and that you can figure out what is wrong with Reilly..Did your vet ever find out? Is it neurological?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope Jake is OK.
I agree with others that's something medical going on with Rielly.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope Jake is ok too. I have had a fair amount of cats over the years with litters-but none with this type of behavior-perhaps she is too possesive??
I hope her behavior gets resolved too.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh heck, how strange - hope you can find out whats up with Reilly !

Heres sending lots of get well soon {{{{{{ vibes }}}}}} to Jake and some
from my kitty-crew

And a big
for you - keep us posted !

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I haven't been following poor Reilly lately so forgive me if you've answered this elsewhere. Has she gone in yet for her official spay? I'm just wondering if she is going through some sort of bizarre hormonal thing with the kittens and not being properly spayed the first time.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of vibes comming your way for little Jake ((((vibes))))). Keep us posted when you return from the vets office. I hope little Jake is ok
/ Have you heard anything from the tests your vet did on Reilly. I really think she should have some simple blood tests and neurological tests done, she sounds likes she's getting worse. I'm soooo sorry you're having to go through this right now! pm me if you need anything.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
poor sweet Jake!
I will pray that he'll be okay and that Reilly gets back to her usual self soon.
please keep us updated.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Jake, and what a good boy for not biting Reilly. How old are the kittens now? Could she be stressed out because she feels it's time for the kittens to be "gone"?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know of several cats who have acted in the same manner of Reilley. For the kitten's safety & all other people/animals safety, the kittens are taken from mom ASAP. One litter they were 6 weeks old, but this is the momma who attacked me & 3 other people(only sending one to the ER).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the vibes everyone!
Well, good news, bad news.
Jake is going to be ok. He has a scratch on his cornea (sp?) and we have to put drops in his eye every 4 hours and he's on an antibiotic also.
Bad news, the vet seems to think it is neurological with Reilly. She is still at the vets and will be until tomorrow night. They are doing more testing on her. I'm glad the babies are almost 7 weeks old and are eating solids. They don't nurse but maybe 2-3 times a day and only for about 10-15 mins each time so they will be ok w/o her for the night. The vet said that if it turns out to be what he thinks it is Reilly would need an extensive and expensive surgery. Around $2,300 dollars! He might be willing to work out a payment plan also, which is good. But he's not 100% sure it's going to do any good for her. Or he said she might have to be in a home where she's the only pet.
I'm not happy at all about that! I will know more tomorrow afternoon.
Please keep her in your prayers tonight? When I went to pick up Jake I went to see her. She was laying in the corner, curled up in a ball. I put my hand in the cage to pet her and she hissed at me. It could be just the stress of being there.... I hope

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm soo sorry you're having to deal with this right now. (((vibes))) I'm glad that little Jake is going to be ok though- that's good news!
At least he wasn't hurt too terribly bad- and i'm sure he'll be good as new in no time with you taking such great care of him. / As far as Reilly goes, i'm sending a ton of vibes your way. I hope things work out with her. She sounds like she's in good hands with your vets office tonight for her evaluation. I'm sure she just hissed because she was stressed. If they determine that she does need the surgery- I would get a 2nd opinion just in case because that is a LOT of $$ for a procedure that may not even work 100% for the little girl. Try to keep your chin up- it will all work out one way or another. If it is neurological, it could be from a recent trauma she may have exprienced when you weren't around. Maybe she fell off of something and bumped her head when you were out or had something else happen. Eithor way, I'm praying she will be ok. The kittens sound like they're doing well! It's a wonderful thing that they're eating on their own. I'm sure they will be ok for tonight. Has your vet done blood work on Reilly yet? You mentioned that your vet suggested she may need to be an only pet. The thing that would worry me would be if she was bold enough to attack Jake, would she potentially hurt one of your children. I would keep your children seperate from her once you bring her back home until you know for sure that her temperment has evened out just to be safe. I would hate for them to get scratched. Hang in there- things will be ok. Keep us posted. You and your furbabies are in my prayers tonight

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You and Reilly and Jake - and the rest of the family too - are in my thoughts and prayers. How painful for all of you.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mean to second guess your vet...because I know he did labwork. But since she was fine before her pregnancy, I wonder if she might be okay after she is spayed. It would certainly be cheaper than lots of expensive tests. And whether you get to keep her, or she is rehomed to a quieter home as an only pet, she will need to be spayed.

You are a good meowmie. I'm glad Jake is ok, and the kittens are old enough to manage without Reilly. I really really hope she calms down soon!

Also...is there any possibility she could stay with someone else temporarily? Someone with no other pets or kids, so the home is really quiet (not like my house!) Then she can calm down and recover from whatever is bothering her, but in a few weeks she can come home to her loving family?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I'm soo sorry you're having to deal with this right now. (((vibes))) I'm glad that little Jake is going to be ok though- that's good news!
At least he wasn't hurt too terribly bad- and i'm sure he'll be good as new in no time with you taking such great care of him. / As far as Reilly goes, i'm sending a ton of vibes your way. I hope things work out with her. She sounds like she's in good hands with your vets office tonight for her evaluation. I'm sure she just hissed because she was stressed. If they determine that she does need the surgery- I would get a 2nd opinion just in case because that is a LOT of $$ for a procedure that may not even work 100% for the little girl. Try to keep your chin up- it will all work out one way or another. If it is neurological, it could be from a recent trauma she may have exprienced when you weren't around. Maybe she fell off of something and bumped her head when you were out or had something else happen. Eithor way, I'm praying she will be ok. The kittens sound like they're doing well! It's a wonderful thing that they're eating on their own. I'm sure they will be ok for tonight. Has your vet done blood work on Reilly yet? You mentioned that your vet suggested she may need to be an only pet. The thing that would worry me would be if she was bold enough to attack Jake, would she potentially hurt one of your children. I would keep your children seperate from her once you bring her back home until you know for sure that her temperment has evened out just to be safe. I would hate for them to get scratched. Hang in there- things will be ok. Keep us posted. You and your furbabies are in my prayers tonight
Thanks!
They have done blood tests on her and everything came back normal and that's when he suggested having neurological tests done but it wasn't scheduled until her spay day. I am wondering if her going through the surgery before then having the kittens made something... .snap?
I'm worried sick about her