Big no no's

patch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think this should go here..

I was just wondering yesterday, our cat will basically eat anything, is there anything that he shouldn't really have or something that's really bad? Of course we wouldn't feed him a plate full of chips, sausage and beans :p

So yeah, anything that could kill him too? (sounds dramatic but yeah)
Thanks.. Jane and Patchipoos.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

patch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that.

Got a few question though.
'Potato, rhubarb, and tomato leaves; potato and tomato stems' does that mean the plant or the actual potato? is cooked potato okay? because Patch always tries to steal it and sometimes gets a bit.

'Canned tuna (for human consumption) \tLarge amounts can cause malnutrition, since it lacks proper levels of vitamins and minerals.' it says large amounts, so is a little bit now and then okay? i don't mean like a whole tin to himself, just sometimes when we're having tuna (about once a week) he usually gets a bit.

Thanks

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Cooked potatoes are okay, but in small quantities, as cats really aren't equipped to digest too many carbs, and small amounts of human tuna are fine, too.

luvslive

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for linking this list. My cats have occassionally chased a grape around the linoleum, like a toy, catching it in their mouth. I guess this can be harmful if they get the toxins in their mouth?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

patch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Cooked potatoes are okay, but in small quantities, as cats really aren't equipped to digest too many carbs, and small amounts of human tuna are fine, too.
Thanks, he doesn't get a lot of potato, he just gets to lick it off someones finger about twice a week when he wont stop pestering! :p

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was told by vet tuna was fine as long as its in water and not to much(first cat used to have a 1/2 a can a day-he was also 20 lbs and not to fat) two issues with it a they might decide im going to wait to eat till I get my tuna and no other food will do and the other is if a cat has urinary issues tuna might make them worse(high magnesium) only thing my cats don't get that they want is choclate. but anything else is a go(thye dont want to eat onions and other "bad things") The frape thing has me stumped tho cause benji will pull them off the vine(ya mom loves that lol) and chase/sometimes eat and hes been fine?!? RJ

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to know if canned tuna designed for feline consumption is okay for cats? Gizmo simply won't eat any other kind of wet food. I'd frankly rather keep her on the 'dry rabbit' food if tuna is bad even in pet food, since I don't want her developing a UTI.
She likes the Natural Balance Tuna and Shrimp in cans, but that (and Trader Joe's tuna, which you can't get here) is it.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And this goofy cat is crazy about chocolate. I now no longer have any in the house. Maybe she's doing me a favor.