TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Has South Park gone too far?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Has South Park gone too far? - Page 2

post #31 of 55
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I think many people have lost track of the meaning of democracy.
post #32 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I think many people have lost track of the meaning of democracy.
de·moc·ra·cy (d-mkr-s) KEY

NOUN:
pl. de·moc·ra·cies
Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
A political or social unit that has such a government.
The common people, considered as the primary source of political power.
Majority rule.
The principles of social equality and respect for the individual within a community.

What does democracy have to do with the right to free speech and freedom of artistic expression, other than it helps us PRESERVE them?
post #33 of 55
In all honestly, I've only watched 2 episodes of south park, the first 2 however many years ago that was. I figured out then that it wasn't something that I was going to have any interest in.
post #34 of 55
Now the only question is: Can they GO FURTHER???
post #35 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
Now the only question is: Can they GO FURTHER???
I have complete faith that they can and will. Long live Cartman!
post #36 of 55
IMO South Park has been on for ten years because they cross the line every single time. Do they have a right to be on the air? Absolutely. Do you have to watch it? Not at all.
post #37 of 55
My wife and I both LOVE South Park. Yes, they do things that are shocking at times, but that is what makes it so funny. It is a cartoon, it is not real. You have to understand at times, what they are doing in that show. It may seem that they are actually making fun of something, like child molestation, but in truth, they are actually making fun of the sick people who would do such a thing. How about Mr Hankey the Christmas poo!! I love him!! Heck, the show can be offensive to some people at times, but that's the beauty of it. As stated, there are how many other channels to choose from with worse garbage to watch. I can name many, American Idol and the rest of those so called stupid reality shows. Other times, South Park can be just the opposite of being totally shocking. Just the other day, they had an episode on with Big Gay Al. Big Gay Al was a boy scout troop leader, but was kicked out of scouts, because he was gay. However, the scouts hired a guy that was supposed to be a "normal" man, who would teach these boys to be men, instead of teaching them how to cook and bake for the upcoming bake sale they were having. However, this so called macho man, ended up being a sicko who wanted to take pictures of all the boys naked. In short, the boy scout kids wanted Big Gay Al as their scout leader, because they liked him a lot. Now what is wrong with that? In this case, they weren't making fun of gays at all. South Park is a great show and my wife and I love it. Think about it, where would we be in this world, if everything that offended someone was banned?? I mean, South Park can be and is offensive at times, but what harm is that? I don't feel that just because this show makes fun of child molestation, animal abuse, Steve Irwin's death or other "offensive" things, means that people will think all these things in real life are funny and will go around doing them or be more accepting of them. I don't find child molestation or abuse funny, same goes for animal abuse and I am still saddened by Steve's death. But if you can't joke about things, how in the world are you supposed to deal with such things? Laughter is the best medicine. The fact that it is a cartoon, is what makes it funny.
post #38 of 55
I'm probably showing my age here, but when did crude, tasteless, and vulgar become not only acceptable on tv but considered funny as well?
post #39 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
IMO South Park has been on for ten years because they cross the line every single time. Do they have a right to be on the air? Absolutely. Do you have to watch it? Not at all.
Exactly, if you're getting South Park, then you obviously subscribe to cable. So you're paying for HOW MANY OTHER CHANNELS that you can flip to?
post #40 of 55
I am grateful to the Comedy Channel for so many shows that have the courage to tread on "good taste."

The Daily Show and Colbert Report are two of the best news shows on TV.
Merry Christmas Mr Hankey.
post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by libby74 View Post
I'm probably showing my age here, but when did crude, tasteless, and vulgar become not only acceptable on tv but considered funny as well?
When did MAD Magazine become popular?
post #42 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by xocats View Post
Merry Christmas Mr Hankey.
HIDEY HO!! Oh and let's not forget towely!!
post #43 of 55
Great, now I have "Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo!" in my head!
post #44 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by esrgirl View Post
Great, now I have "Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo!" in my head!
That song is very addicting isn't it
post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat View Post
That song is very addicting isn't it
Now it's in my head too.
Hidey Ho!
post #46 of 55
I guess in a way, being a fan of South Park is a bit like riding a Harley: If you have to ask, you just won't understand.

And, obviously, you have to be thick-skinned enough to take the disgust hurled at you by those that have no appreciate for the darker side of humor.

Ah well. I can live with myself. Hidey-ho!
post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by libby74 View Post
I'm probably showing my age here, but when did crude, tasteless, and vulgar become not only acceptable on tv but considered funny as well?
These things have always been considered funny, or at the very least, socially acceptable entertainment. In the Middle Ages people lined up to watch others being tortured and put to death; it was also "great fun" to watch people being pilloried, put in stocks, or publicly whipped. Not only did this serve as entertainment, but it provided an excellent moral lesson: if you do [whatever it was this person did to deserve this punishment], this is what will happen to you.

Other crude, tasteless and vulgar bits of funny entertainment include Punch and Judy, cockfighting, bear-baiting, and there are some very vulgar (and very funny!) bits of dialogue in Shakespearean plays. On television, you could watch All in the Family, which featured racist humour; or The Honeymooners, of which the only thing I remember is one man threatening to punch his wife "to the moon, Alice." Or how about the Looney Tunes cartoons, where it was perfectly acceptable to use terms like "cotton-pickin'" and violence was common-place?

It's normal to look back on previous eras and generations and think they had it all figured out, that people were more polite, that the entertainment industry was clean and tasteful, and that scatalogical humour only ever appealed to the most vulgar minds ... but such is not the case. Humour is subjective, of course, but it hasn't really changed all that much over the years. The only thing that has changed is what we're "allowed" to talk about, and I for one am grateful about that. South Park making fun of child molestation or Nazis is one excellent way for us to enter into a discourse about these things -- it gets you talking, it makes you think (even if you have to wash your brain out with soap half the time), and I think it's far better than keeping these things under wraps because "polite" society doesn't talk about them.

As far as South Park having Steve Irwin in hell, I think that if that's all they do, they're being downright tame. We're talking about a show that had Cartman feed the chopped-up remains of an enemy's murdered parents to said enemy (in the form of chili) and where the words of wisdom are issued from the foul mouths of fourth-graders ("I learned something today ..."). Yes, it's offensive ... but it's making you talk about it, isn't it?
post #48 of 55
Mirinae, that was a DARNED fine response!!!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm planning to head over to Iraq to celebrate Saddam's public execution! (I wonder if Lucifer, his boyfriend, will throw another party?)
post #49 of 55
Alright. i haven't gotten all the way through this, but I want to point something out. What South Parks aims to do is to horrify and create a satire of life in our wicked world. You know what? Yes, they push the envelope by illustrating truly objectionable things. Things that should be villified and should be paid attention to. Child Molestation is horrible. What better way to make people stand up and react to it in the real world than to put it on the most offensive show on Television. At no point do they actually say "Child moletsation/steve Irwin's tragic death/religion is funny." They're saying "Hey, why aren't you paying attention, does it need to be THIS OBVIOUS for you to get the clue? South Park takes everything that is horrible and wrong witht he world and puts it there, and makes it funny, in order for us to a) be incensed with the horrible things going on int he world and b) continue to watch. And the morals that you get from it all turning out so awfully for those involved in the shows are true and founded. How are we going to learn if we won't educate ourselves on the matter and the news won't report on it, and those up and coming voters won't watch the news any way.

The last episode opens a dialogue up about many things...
Do you think that the church should take a firmer stand on child molestation? Why havent' they?
Should rich 16 year old girls be able to weild that much power and authority, just because they're wealthy.. and what does that do to them? I've seen the shows from which that gag originates- they're horrible, greedy little children .... That's not a way to raise a child!
No matter whether it's now or in the future, we're always going to have 2 sides to any debate. Now it's Republicans vs Demorats, Religion vs Science, Black vs white. If we take away the opposition, do you think that there's only going to be one opinion left?

The show intends to polarize its audience, and for heaven's sake, actually think about and discuss the issues. I, for one, am happy that there is a South Park, because I don't know how many people would actually be aware of the issues without the show.
post #50 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlecat View Post
Alright. i haven't gotten all the way through this, but I want to point something out. What South Parks aims to do is to horrify and create a satire of life in our wicked world. You know what? Yes, they push the envelope by illustrating truly objectionable things. Things that should be villified and should be paid attention to. Child Molestation is horrible. What better way to make people stand up and react to it in the real world than to put it on the most offensive show on Television. At no point do they actually say "Child moletsation/steve Irwin's tragic death/religion is funny." They're saying "Hey, why aren't you paying attention, does it need to be THIS OBVIOUS for you to get the clue? South Park takes everything that is horrible and wrong witht he world and puts it there, and makes it funny, in order for us to a) be incensed with the horrible things going on int he world and b) continue to watch. And the morals that you get from it all turning out so awfully for those involved in the shows are true and founded. How are we going to learn if we won't educate ourselves on the matter and the news won't report on it, and those up and coming voters won't watch the news any way.

The last episode opens a dialogue up about many things...
Do you think that the church should take a firmer stand on child molestation? Why havent' they?
Should rich 16 year old girls be able to weild that much power and authority, just because they're wealthy.. and what does that do to them? I've seen the shows from which that gag originates- they're horrible, greedy little children .... That's not a way to raise a child!
No matter whether it's now or in the future, we're always going to have 2 sides to any debate. Now it's Republicans vs Demorats, Religion vs Science, Black vs white. If we take away the opposition, do you think that there's only going to be one opinion left?

The show intends to polarize its audience, and for heaven's sake, actually think about and discuss the issues. I, for one, am happy that there is a South Park, because I don't know how many people would actually be aware of the issues without the show.
Bravo! Excellent points and well-stated!!!
post #51 of 55
Quote:
You know what? Yes, they push the envelope by illustrating truly objectionable things. Things that should be villified and should be paid attention to.
Bingo! For as crass, crude, tacky and obnoxious as the show is, it actually does, underneath all the fart jokes, have a good moral message. Kyle "learns something today" in just about every episode.

The movie, for instance. I knew a few people - intelligent, educated people - who seriously thought the movie was about blaming Canada. They just didn't get it that it was about personal and parental responsibility.

The show isn't for everyone. I would not want to watch it with my Mom. But anyone who says it's just tasteless poo hasn't really watched an episode. It is a bunch of tasteless poo, too, but it's not just tasteless poo.
post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorina View Post
The movie, for instance. I knew a few people - intelligent, educated people - who seriously thought the movie was about blaming Canada. They just didn't get it that it was about personal and parental responsibility.
I almost feel sorry for the people who take themselves & their limited reality so seriously that they did not get it.
A couple of my adult children and I went to the movie together...
It was hilarious.
We were in pain from laughing when it was over.
post #53 of 55
I don't think they went to far. It's what South Park Does. It's not like they make fun of one thing but not another. They just do it all.
post #54 of 55
Turtlecat - right on. I couldn't agree more. I'm impressed. Well said!

I have mixed feelings about South Park. I haven't read this whole thread yet, and will, but for now I'd just like to say that I admire what they do - it's a very clever satirical take on the injustices, greed, lust for power and self-importance of the world and America in particular as it's main subject. It's very clever, and yet often shocking as there is no line it won't cross, and sometimes I've watched and cringed at what they'll do. But in this world, today, in this current climate, it seems that nothing is sacred anymore, and they illustrate that by, well, making nothing sacred. Very clever, actually. In small doses, it can be genius.

Now, I cried for two weeks when Steve Irwin died, but I don't know that South Park has gone too far. It's what they do, and if I know anything about Steve from my time watching him, I think he would've thought it was pretty funny. He was another person rallying against the world's issues, the same as the creators of South Park. He probably would have had a good chuckle.
post #55 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat View Post
You have to understand at times, what they are doing in that show. It may seem that they are actually making fun of something, like child molestation, but in truth, they are actually making fun of the sick people who would do such a thing. .
I agree! What i don't understand is why my husband loves South Park for that reason, yet "loses" my Offspring CDs because he thinks the lyrics are offensive. We went to an "election night" party, and South Park was so popular, yet many others at the party agreed that Offspring "goes over the line" - is it because South park features cartoon characters
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Has South Park gone too far?