Unrolling the Toilet Paper - Bored Kitty?

monnielane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there. I am new here & am thrilled to find this forum. I have two male Lynx Point Siamese kittens that are 10 months old. They are brothers, littermates. I've had them since they were 8 weeks old and just love the heck out of them. Their names are Tucker and Aiden.

To be honest, they are really well adjusted kitties and tend to know what they can or can't do. And I'm curious to know if sometimes they do things that they know they're NOT supposed to do just to get my attention or my husband's attention. Sometimes they unroll the toilet paper and it is frustrating because I feel like they're wasting a lot of toilet paper! I catch them doing it sometimes. Maybe they just think it's really fun to unroll the toilet paper.

Also, sometimes they'll do things to get my attention. That's what I think, at least. Like jump on the kitchen counter and scratch on my (new & expensive) red chair in the bedroom. Because as soon as I go to scold them, they stop before I can even say "No!" Then they run off to where they usually play. Am I right to assume they just feel like they need my attention? It's usually when we're sleeping that they do something to the red chair or toilet paper. And I don't know how to get them to stop because I can tell they already know they're not supposed to be doing it. And that's why they seem to do it in the first place.. to get us out of bed.

Advice?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by monnielane

Hello there. I am new here & am thrilled to find this forum. I have two male Lynx Point Siamese kittens that are 10 months old. They are brothers, littermates. I've had them since they were 8 weeks old and just love the heck out of them. Their names are Tucker and Aiden.

To be honest, they are really well adjusted kitties and tend to know what they can or can't do. And I'm curious to know if sometimes they do things that they know they're NOT supposed to do just to get my attention or my husband's attention. Sometimes they unroll the toilet paper and it is frustrating because I feel like they're wasting a lot of toilet paper! I catch them doing it sometimes. Maybe they just think it's really fun to unroll the toilet paper.

Also, sometimes they'll do things to get my attention. That's what I think, at least. Like jump on the kitchen counter and scratch on my (new & expensive) red chair in the bedroom. Because as soon as I go to scold them, they stop before I can even say "No!" Then they run off to where they usually play. Am I right to assume they just feel like they need my attention? It's usually when we're sleeping that they do something to the red chair or toilet paper. And I don't know how to get them to stop because I can tell they already know they're not supposed to be doing it. And that's why they seem to do it in the first place.. to get us out of bed.

Advice?
Welcome to TCS!!! There is an awesome moderator on this site who happens to be a breeder of old style siamese and could probably give you some advice. She's not online right now (her name is Gaye but her name here is Gayef). I'll forward your question on to her so that when she is online, she can post a response.

Katie

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. Your cats sound great. They are little boys and being mischievous. The toilet paper thing is a very common source of fun for cats; I have two who love to play with it. Dushka goes further and shreds all paper or cardboard that she can find. She has never grown out of that game. Give them lots of alternative thngs to play with/scratch on - I found sisal mats great in place of sofas and chairs. ANd while you try to get them trained to change over, you may need to cover your sofa with a throw or stick plastic sheeting on the places where they scratch. Spray with a little lemon juice nearby too - many cats don't like the smell of citrus.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have the toilet paper roll feed from underneath. That way, they can't unroll it.

And give them the empty cardboard rolls. Gizmo LOVES these. If you put a little treat(gooey) inside one end, the kittens will play with these for hours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monnielane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all of the advice.. they still have a lot of "kitten" in them. Turning the toilet paper the other way is an excellent idea! I already fixed that. They seldom mess with the toilet paper.. it's been about a week since they've done it. But when they get back in the habit, they'll do it about three times a week!

I'm also going to try the empty cardboard roll, I'm sure they'd love it. Thanks, guys!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Another thing you could try is scented toilet paper - it worked wonders with Jamie, who seems to abhor the artificial chamomile or lilac scent.