What do you call a "soft drink"?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(I dunno how to make a poll, so if someone could add one, it would be great!
)

I call a carbonated beverage "pop". What do you call them? Fizzy drinks, pop, soft drinks, lemonade, soda, cola, ginger, juice, drink, coke...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call "carbonated beverages" like Diet-Coke, Fresca, Root Beer etc "soft drink".

I think the term "pop", is largely US based. My brother's ex wife hails from the US and she refers to it as "pop", but everyone I know calls them "soft drinks", or just by the name of the drink IE: Coke or just "a drink"

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

Soda now

But in Kentucky where I grew up, everything was a Pepsi
Just like DH is from Tennessee and they call everything a Coke
As a Tennessee girl I can vouch for what Alycia said about her hubby!!
Everything here in Tennessee is "Coke." But I call them soft drinks too. I can't stand the word "soda pop"
uhhhhh kill me now if I hear that one! It offends my southern ears ....
so I hate that term! So around here, it's Coke or soft drinks. (Did I mention I don't even drink them I haven't had a Coke in 8 years. I stopped drinking things like that when I ran competively. I drink tea, coffee, and beer occassionally though.)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess DH is the Tennessee odd-ball then, he just calls it soda. I also can not stand calling it soda pop or just pop. I have a friend whos family is from Michigan, and they all say pop. So whenever she says to me 'Want some pop?' I say 'Pop what?' My cousins who live in western upstate NY also call it pop. Where I'm from we do not.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here most any kind of "soft drink" is called coke, whether its actually a Coke or not. If they aren't called coke, they are called soda. I think "Pop" is a Northern thing...

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poll added, and I made it multiple choice.

Oh, yeah. They were soft drinks when I was growing up; since then the term "pop" has been added, generally when referring to a can of...

"Soda" to me is soda water, aka club soda, that gross stuff that gets added to anything you want to add fizz to, but no flavour.

"Soda" used to mean that lovely ice cream drink, that you got at a "soda fountain", while your neighbour ordered a milkshake that actually had milk in it, or some other ice cream concoction whose final topping did not have hydrogenated oil in it. But now I'm showing my age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I think the term "pop", is largely US based. My brother's ex wife hails from the US and she refers to it as "pop", but everyone I know calls them "soft drinks", or just by the name of the drink IE: Coke or just "a drink"
I'm in Saskatchewan and not once have I heard someone call a carbonated beverage a soft drink.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I say "soda", but my sister's kids have grown up in the Midwest, and they say "pop". To me, a "soft drink" is anything without alcohol, and a "Coke" is only made by Coca Cola (if I had Pepsi, I'd offer somebody a "Pepsi", not a "Coke"). A "fizzy drink" makes me think of Alka Seltzer!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

Here most any kind of "soft drink" is called coke, whether its actually a Coke or not. If they aren't called coke, they are called soda. I think "Pop" is a Northern thing...
I moved from Chicago to Texas and was teased on a regular basis for calling a soft drink a "pop". Of course anything carbonated was called a "coke" down there and I just teased them in return.

I agree, I think pop is more a northern thing, and probably more midwest northern.