What is the prupose (if any) of

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The white "bib" on a cat's chest, and the white paw tips? Is there any evolutionary reason?

Thanks!

MargeCat

nelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
God likes it, thinks it looks really cool.

Disclaimer: Just my opinion.

As a bonus for Him, it makes us happy when we see it on this cat, and that cat, and the other cat....but not on EVERY cat.....variety is the spice of life, but familiarity may be the salt and pepper of life...And I do like salt and pepper!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't know. But someone kinda explained about how genetically the cat gets its colors. I'm not positive, but:

White color starts forming from the bottom upwards; the color starts from the top down - so both stops when they meet each other - it depends on how fast each "side" produces the cells. Sorta like two kinds of paint coming from 2 different directions.

This, of course, would only happen when the two parents are carrying the white spotting gene. If you want cats that have white on them, you can breed to a bi-color VAN cat with lots of white - in 90% of the kittens you will get various degrees of white. If mom has no white, usually you get bi-colors or those with just white on the face, chest, feet from this type of breeding.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The only thing I can think of is camouflage. When I look at my cats laying in the sun, I can imagine them hiding under a bush with the spots of white looking like sun coming through the branches.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If that were true, more wild cats would have white on them
Then maybe, it makes them so darn cute to us that we adopt them.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, the wild species closest to domestic cats are usually tabby/spotted because they're good camoflauge colors. Some are agouti, but that's another camo color. I have yet to see pics of one that has white. All our other colors are there because someone saw a cat with a neat color mutation and bred it to get more. That's how all domestic animals get their non-wild colors.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naturestee

Yes, the wild species closest to domestic cats are usually tabby/spotted because they're good camoflauge colors. Some are agouti, but that's another camo color. I have yet to see pics of one that has white. All our other colors are there because someone saw a cat with a neat color mutation and bred it to get more. That's how all domestic animals get their non-wild colors.
Actually, cats have not been bred intentionally until relatively recently. And most cats do not come from a breed line but from common ancestors of the breeds. It could be that some trait that made cats compatible with humans was associated with the gene that introduced white (which is recessive). Wild cats can develop a white mutation though natural selection does put them at a disadvantage. So as the cats developed the trait that made them more compatible with humans, the white gene became more common.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do agree that the ones with a little "flash" of white do attract more then the solid colors
My first cat was blue ticked/mackeral tabby with white feet and chest/belly.

And when I judged the HHP's, my favs were the ones with a little white on them (especially red tabbys/white) or the calicos.

So what will our next cat be? A chocolate spotted Ocicat with NO white....

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Tuxedo kitties have that coloring so that they will blend in with the palamino ponies and the Holstein cows.