need help!!!

bunchofkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My poor Suzy is so sick. Our emergency vet is treating her with injectable antibiotics and subq fluids while we are waiting for her blood chemistry panel to come back on Monday. We are trying to forcefeed because she has not eaten in days but it is not going too well.

Our vet thinks she has one of two things. Either she has had some kind of bowel perforation and something is still in her abdominal cavity (she is really swollen and full of fluid) or she has FIP. Needless to say I am hoping for the bowel perf as bad as that sounds because at least that can be fixed.

I am so devastated. I can't eat (I've lost 5 lbs this week), I can't work (took vacation days because I figured who cares about work) and I am just beside myself.

I found this little girl last year on the coldest day of the year in my neighbors shrubs hollering to high heaven. She was so cold, she jumped right into my arms and started purring. It was love at first sight!!

I think she was the last of a litter of feral mom that we had been rescuing over the fall and winter of last year.

I am asking everyone here to please keep Suzy in your good thoughts and prayers so she can get better. I love my little girl so much. I just can't lose her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunchofkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I am so bummed out. I am glad I found this place. It helps to talk about it. Other people who aren't "Cat people" just don't get it. My boss actually told me she couldn't relate because she is not a "cat person". So this helps me out just being able to talk to all of you.

Thank you..........

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bunchofkitties

Thank you. I am so bummed out. I am glad I found this place. It helps to talk about it. Other people who aren't "Cat people" just don't get it. My boss actually told me she couldn't relate because she is not a "cat person". So this helps me out just being able to talk to all of you.

Thank you..........
One of my fellow cat lovers found this great site about FIP:

http://www.dr-addie.com/index.htm

Katie

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get better quick headbuts and healing licks from KittenKiya's Clan. It is so hard to think straight when our babies are sick. Hang in there, we all understand.

bunchofkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just got back from the emergency vet where we had to admit Suzy.

She started running a 106 temp this afternoon and her abdominal swelling had become much worse. The vet on call aspirated some of the fluid and it was the sickly bright straw colored yellow fluid of FIP. She hasn't eaten a thing in about 3 days and she is just failing fast.

Does it make me a terrible person to want to wait until Monday to see what the blood chemistry panel shows on the FIP titers?? To see if just maybe, God willing, that it is something else that is making her so very sick??

I really don't want her to suffer and this is killing me because I love this cat so very much.

Letting her go will be one the single hardest things I have ever had to do but making her suffer would be worse.

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HUGS SUZY and to you!!! Is there a test to do for FIP?? I wouldl think if you had her for a year it would have shown itself? i am probably wrong i am in by no means an expert. Poor little girl

bunchofkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We called the vet just before 10PM here abd she is stable for the moment. The temp is down and she is resting comfortably.

I miss her. She always sat on my lap in the evenings and slept behind my legs at night.

I am hoping for a huge miracle that this is not FIP and that we can get her treated and have her back forever. When my cats adopted me it was forever. I just never thought we would be facing this so soon. Suzy's three brothers and three sisters have been wandering the house all night looking for her. They don't understand why she is not here.

Thanks to you all that have kept Suzy in your thoughts and prayers. Maybe we will get our miracle cause it ain't over yet. I just want her back in my arms.

bunchofkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From what we have been told there is no true diagnostic test for FIP. It is partly based on the FIP titers in the blood chemistry of the cat along with the effision in the abdomen and actually performing surgery on the cat to visualize the intestines and bowel.

We have opted for the blood titers and hope to have those results soon and are wishing for a very low number along with a few other normal numbers on her blood chemistry. Then if we can rule out FIP we can then progress to surgery to try and determine the exact problem.

This is a very wicked virus. I hope someday veterinary science can pinpoint the virus and come up with the proper anti-viral medications like we have for HIV and at least give these poor kitties and their families some quality of life.

I apologize, I have rambled on and on. I just want my cat back healthy and ready to live a very long life. This is the only place I came come and talk it out.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep us updated on Suzy. I really hope she's ok. Getting the temp down is a fairly good sign. We lost a kitten a year ago to FIP and it's not a good thing. One good piece of advice I was given was that you take your cue from the kitty on their will to live. If they want to be with you more often than not, they show pleasure at your presence, then they're not ready to go yet. When they are ready they will withdraw into themselves more, and you will know. I really, really hope Suzy gets better! Hugs,
Kim.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have everything crossed that this isnt FIP, and I think you are doing the right thing in waiting for the rest of the results just in case it is something else.

bunchofkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Brave little Suzy is still hanging on. We got some of the bloodwork back and so far so good. We are still waiting on the FIP titers. The good vet at our clinic told me that he is leaning more towards some kind of liver problem now based on her response and blood work.

We have been up and down so many times in the past few days that we don't know what or who to believe anymore.

She has not had a temp since being put in the hospital which is a positive sign. When I saw her tonight she just seems depressed. I want my girl back. I love this cat more than I can ever say. She may as well be one my natural born children. People always look at me as if I have two heads when I speak of the love I have for my kitties.

Please keep up the good vibes for Suzy, she needs every positive thought she can get.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bunchofkitties

Brave little Suzy is still hanging on. We got some of the bloodwork back and so far so good. We are still waiting on the FIP titers. The good vet at our clinic told me that he is leaning more towards some kind of liver problem now based on her response and blood work.

We have been up and down so many times in the past few days that we don't know what or who to believe anymore.

She has not had a temp since being put in the hospital which is a positive sign. When I saw her tonight she just seems depressed. I want my girl back. I love this cat more than I can ever say. She may as well be one my natural born children. People always look at me as if I have two heads when I speak of the love I have for my kitties.

Please keep up the good vibes for Suzy, she needs every positive thought she can get.
You and Susie are in my thoughts and prayers. I totally understand how people look at you strangely since we feel the same about our two kitties. Heck, I carry pictures around with me of them.

bunchofkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Unfortunately this afternoon my brave little Suzy lost her battle with FIP. We got the lab results back and there was no denying it. We made the very difficult decision to send Suzy home.

I loved her so very much and this hurts so very much. But she is not suffering anymore and has gone to where all good kitties go to live in happiness and serenity forever.

Thank you.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear the news about Suzy and I know what a hard decision it was to let her go.

But you're right, she's not suffering anymore and she's happy and playing with all of the other cats and kittens that have gone before her.