Bat in the Bedroom!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went into my spare (eventually it will be mine but the ensuite is not ready yet) bedroom this afternoon to find something and noticed something clinging to the naked light fitting. It is a small bat, and I cannot think how it got there as I am paranoid about keeping windows closed right now. Here is a picture:

The cats have not noticed it yet, and I am going to wait till dusk, close the door and open the window and hope it finds its way out.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are really good for bug control. We have a bat house located our backyard high in the oak tree. I sure hope you are able to get him back out the window! Good luck!

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There must be a small hole in either your roof or one of your walls. Or maybe it got in without being noticed while you were going in or out at night.

I would be worried about being bitten.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eeeeeeeeeeeek!! Just in time for Halloween!!

I have a bat in my laundry room..I told my landlord, and she said she would get the guys to get it out...but she has conveniently forgotten about it

Thankfully I have never seen the bat...my ex saw it one night though so know he's back there.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorie D.

There must be a small hole in either your roof or one of your walls. Or maybe it got in without being noticed while you were going in or out at night.

I would be worried about being bitten.
A bat wouldn't bite a human..it would just be scared and fly around.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A few years ago I was watching tv and a bat flew from our kitchen and into the living room, which has a huge window. I'm sure the poor baby thought it was her way out, so she flew into the glass. She was pretty stunned, so I grabbed a blanket and threw it over her, caught her with a cloth and placed her very gently into a plastic canister without touching her. I went outside and released her into the night. I wasn't afraid of her, after all, she just wanted to live out her life and was probably scared to death. I hope she's still around somewhere.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie brought in two from the back balcony last year (about a week apart) and released them in the living room. Robert picked up the first one with his bare hand and put it outside, which isn't recommendable, since they can carry rabies, and it's almost impossible to feel the bite, and I used leather gloves to get the second one outside. We had a whole colony of them in our garage a few years ago, and were told to just leave an opening for them, and they'd eventually go away (they did).
If you leave a window open all night, and close it as soon as you see it's gone, you should be alright.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know thay're a good critter, but boy are they scary looking! I would be scared to bits! hope the little bugger makes his way outside

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hehe, I have a bat story too.

When I was 8 I went through a phase of giving my parents a hard time about going to bed. One night my aunt and uncle (my godparents) were over visiting, and they hadn't left by the time I had to hit the sack so I was trying to stay up. My parents finally yelled at me so I trotted off to my room. Once in there I saw something flying around in circles at the top of my room, so I went back out to the living room and told my parents there was a bird in my room.

"Go to bed."
"But there's a BIRD!"
"Go to bed."

So off I went, and I sat on my bed and watched the flying creature for a while. So then I yelled "THE BIRD IS STILL HERE!", and my mom starting walking down the hallway to yell at me.

"OH MY GOD TIMMMMMM!! TIM! THERE'S SOMETHING IN THERE!!" That was my mom seeing the thing still swooping around in circles.

So my dad and uncle and aunt came running in, and my dad's like, "WOW! It's a bat!" Until then I never knew my mom was afraid of bats, but at that point she snatched me off the bed and locked me, her, and my little brother in his room.

My dad grabbed the butterfly net out of the closet and caught the little thing and we went outside to let it go, but first he showed me and my brother the bat up close (through the net of course). It was actually really small and cute! I think the reason I'm not afraid of bats is because of that

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love bats!!
In australia i got to feed a fruit bat, and petted it, gosh i love them! wouldnt mind them having as pets too

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

A bat wouldn't bite a human..it would just be scared and fly around.
Actually that's not entirely true.
If the bat has rabies it could do anything. Every year the news reports the earliest rabies cases in bats and they found rabies in September in bats in cottage country in Ontario.

Plus, to make it even a little worse, you would probably not know if a bat bites you in your sleep. Their teeth are so sharp they barely leave a mark (so you wouldn't even know if your cat was bitten!).

It's always advised by the Ministry of Natural Resources that if you find a bat in your house and it could have made contact with you while you slept to take it in to be tested for rabies. Then of course if it test positive you get to go for the wonderful set of vaccinations yourself.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plus, to make it even a little worse, you would probably not know if a bat bites you in your sleep. Their teeth are so sharp they barely leave a mark (so you wouldn't even know if your cat was bitten!).

It's always advised by the Ministry of Natural Resources that if you find a bat in your house and it could have made contact with you while you slept to take it in to be tested for rabies. Then of course if it test positive you get to go for the wonderful set of vaccinations yourself
I did not know that! I knew bat can carry rabies, but not about their bite being so unnoticable.
In our apartment building, we get bats stuck inside quite often. I always catch & release them. I've always assumed if someone got bitten, they'd know all about it.

Hope yours flies away tonight, Jenny!

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I did not know that! I knew bat can carry rabies, but not about their bite being so unnoticable.
In our apartment building, we get bats stuck inside quite often. I always catch & release them. I've always assumed if someone got bitten, they'd know all about it.

Hope yours flies away tonight, Jenny!
We often get notices in the local paper when we go to our cottage talking about bats and precautions this time of year.

Here's more information:Bats and Rabies

And a quote from the above website:
How to prevent Bat Rabies:

Never handle bats

Keep your pet current with required vaccinations

Wash any part of your body that comes in contact with a bat. Use soap and water and seek medical advice immediately

Have all dead, sick or easily captured bats tested for rabies if there is exposure to people or pets by contacting your local animal control agency.

REMEMBER: If you ever wake up and find a bat (dead or alive) in the room with you, contact the closest health unit. Bats have very small bites that can go undetected.