Trying to find another job

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well everyone, wish me luck, i'm about to go through the phone book yet again this week and just call places to see if they're hiring. I'm really desperate for another job to make ends meet. I'm a lisenced florist/wedding planner....but haven't been able to find any good design jobs lately, so i'm going to try other places at least for now- i'm desperate! Wish me luck everyone! I could use a few vibes if you could spare them
-it's really hard to find a job in my city sometimes. I've been looking since Aug. I've applied to over 50 different places (literally)
/ I also have an excellent resume- it's just hard to find a job in these parts.I'm gonna go call some places now, I'll update if I find anything or have any promising leads.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have an application in with....say your grocery store if they have floral section?

Do you have floral shops in your area? Bridal shops? Are you interested iin working from your home if you have the facilities?

How about advertising in the newspaper? I'm sure you already thought of that......Do you have a website that you can advertise on?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

Do you have an application in with....say your grocery store if they have floral section?

Do you have floral shops in your area? Bridal shops? Are you interested iin working from your home if you have the facilities?

How about advertising in the newspaper? I'm sure you already thought of that......Do you have a website that you can advertise on?
I run my own design/wedding planning business out of my home- but I need a 2nd job to subsitute my income. I have applied at 30 floral shops- and I just called a few more - 4 of them are promising- so I have to go apply to those tomorrow. (right now is a slow time for most design shops, so many of them aren't hirint.) I also called several bridal and arts/crafts shops etc, as well as the local floral shops in the grocery stores- the bad thing about those is however that they do not do weddings,funerals, etc like that- that's how I make most of my money. But right now i'm desperate. I don't have the $$$ to take an add out in the paper but I have one placed on several popular job sites
Thankyou for the suggestions. I really appreciate them!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I posted a little while ago, I've called 32 places out of the phone book:

design shops
art stores
wedding botiques
cosmetic botiques
shoe stores
lighting galleries
storage units
hotels
interior decorating stores
candle stores
banks
pet shops (reputable ones that are responsible
)
pottery shops
several pharmacies
and i'm sure i'm leaving out some places.

so far i've had 4 promising leads with some floral shops looking for designers, 2 pharmacys looking for pharmacy assistants, 2 banks, a pet shop, and a cndle company....hopefully i'll find a decent job out of one of those leads (hopefully the floral ones
, but i'd take any one of them). I am applying online to several banks at the moment, and tomorrow I will be going out to several places to turn in my applications and resumes.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about getting a job at your local community college teaching Continuing Education classes in floral design? The ones that last like 2-4 weeks, are fairly inexpensive for the students... I know they have those all the time here in our area and they are very popular.

Local craft stores (Michaels, Garden Ridge) and funeral homes also might be a possibility.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about contacting event planners?? Or contacting hotels (larger ones??)
I like the community college/tech school idea as the pay is pretty good.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you do decorative wreaths? Can you do some seasonal appropriate silk flower and dried whatever (no, I am so NOT a floral designer!) and go to local craft shows? I know that one business list I am on, one small business gal has a good business doing cat-tail, dogwood, evergreen etc. wreaths, and this is a good time for both those, as well as gifts of flowers for the holidays.

If you have a business website, would you pm me the url?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Have you thought about getting a job at your local community college teaching Continuing Education classes in floral design? The ones that last like 2-4 weeks, are fairly inexpensive for the students... I know they have those all the time here in our area and they are very popular.

Local craft stores (Michaels, Garden Ridge) and funeral homes also might be a possibility.
I'm applying to Garden Ridge tomorrow and I have already applied to Michaels and Hobby Lobby. (specifically in the floral section
) / I would LOVE to teach a continuing ed class at my local community college- but they have nothing like that there (I am taking classes there right now actually
- it's cheaper that way, and I can save up when I graduate next year and transfer to dental school). / That is an excellent idea though- I wish they had something like that in our area but they don't- only Design Schools for florists- which is where I graduated from 3 yrs ago- they're not looking for help right now, I checked into it this month (which stinks, because that would be an awesome job!) / As far as funeral homes go- they do not have a specific set up for florists in them- what happens is when the florist gets a call to make a casket spray/ esal, etc.....from the family, they deliver them to the local funeral home and set everything up in the viewing room- most families transfer the flowers graveside, or hire the floral company to move them. The florists are responsible for putting flowers/casket sprays on / around the bodies (freaked me out the first time I learned that- I was like "there's no way in .......that i'm touching that dead person" .....lol." that's a whole other story though
it was aweful!/ I like your idea on the garden stores/ centers though- I have applied to some, and will apply to more like Garden Ridge tomorrow.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

What about contacting event planners?? Or contacting hotels (larger ones??)
I like the community college/tech school idea as the pay is pretty good.
As far as event planning goes- i've called most of the places listed in the phone book. Actually, that's what I do right now out of my home- Wedding planning...and I do make good money off of it, I just need something else to subsitiute my income to make ends meet. I'd love to take out a small business loan and start my own shop - i've scouted prices/ available spaces/ done budgets, everything.....but right now since i'm in school, I'm not in a position to do that unless I drop out- and there's no way i'm dropping out so I'm kinda stuck.
/ As far as hotels go, I have called a few- (the decient ones) I worked as a GSR for 3 years in a hotel around here- so I know quite a few around the city, but none of them are hiring right now. At least not the nice ones (the ones who are have issues with prostitution, crime, burglaries...)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Do you do decorative wreaths? Can you do some seasonal appropriate silk flower and dried whatever (no, I am so NOT a floral designer!) and go to local craft shows? I know that one business list I am on, one small business gal has a good business doing cat-tail, dogwood, evergreen etc. wreaths, and this is a good time for both those, as well as gifts of flowers for the holidays.

If you have a business website, would you pm me the url?
I do seasonal things such as wreths. decorations, party set ups, baby showers, bridal showers, etc. The problem with the local craft shows is that you have to rent booths - those can cost a pretty penny if you don't have it (which right now, I have the money in my savings (which I don't touch at all) and $60 - that's it- so I have no extra $$$ to do that and It's too late to find sponsors/investors at the moment.) I do like your idea though and hopefully next year at this time I will have some extra $$$ to rent a booth - I've done 2 trade shows in the past and they were soo much fun- also, everyone gets in the "Christmas spirit" usually and they usually purchase a good amount of the items. (I definitely made good money at the last trade show I did- I just can't afford to rent a booth right now.) / As far as a website goes, I don't have one yet- but I do have a few ideas in mind and Colin has offered to make one for me when he gets some spare time- so hopefully I will have a site up and running within the next few months- Whenever that happens, I will definitely send you a link
/ Until then, i'm just operating by word of mouth and referrals. I have business cards that I pass out- those are working fairly well. I also have several weekly customers who I have contracts with that order something every week (2 hotels, 4 doctors offices, and some resturants- they pay for an arrangement to put out front by their secetaries.) / There's two floral shops that are hiring at the moment- and I'm supposed to go in tomorrow to set up an interview and hopefully get to design for them....i'm keeping my fingers crossed! I really hope I get one of those

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh by the way, thankyou everyone for all of the vibes! I appreciate them! I just finished an online filling application for several pharmacy applications. Since i'm going into the medical field- i figure it's not a bad idea to apply to a few of those positions

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I'll keep my fingers crossed too! Hope to hear good news soon.
Thankyou! I appreciate that
I just filled out an application online- maybe i'll know something soon
I'm going to fill out more over the weekend.