Wysong Uretic Feline Diet

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Would this be a good food for a cat that has been diagnosed with Struvite Crystals?

The vet gave me a prescription diet, but I am looking for other options that I can maybe mix in for all of them. The prescription food is Eukanuba Low PH/S.

The first day home, Nugie ate the canned food with relish and he will eat the prexcription dry if it is mixed with their regular food. But as soon as he realized he was getting something special, he doesn't want anything to do with it now and of course all the other cats want Nugents special food.

I read about the two different kind of crystals and that slanting too hard to prevent one could cause the other and I sure don't want that to happen. The last thing I need is major food issues with a house full of cats.

(I still have to keep Boo and her tender tummy issues in mind.)

Help - oh help me please!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say I would have a lot of faith in a Wysong RX just because they make decent regular foods unlike many other RX manufactureers... Do you have a link I can read

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I would say I would have a lot of faith in a Wysong RX just because they make decent regular foods unlike many other RX manufactureers... Do you have a link I can read
Wysong Uretic Feline Diet

I knew I could count on you Sharky.

I saw you sent a list of canned foods to someone needing the same thing or something similar.

Could you also do that for me please and thank you?

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my males is Wysong Uretic now. He really likes it and has been doing well on it since he had surgery to remove the stone early last summer. Wysong also has a prescription version available on their RX page(Uretic can be purchased without a perscription), but I believe you need to have your vet call them to order it.

I personally didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t care for any of the prescription diets through the vets because the ingredients were so crappy, and he refused to eat any of it at all which could have lead to an even bigger problem.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chicken, corn gluten meal, oat groats, poultry fat, whole egg, ground wheat, wheat gluten, fish oil, salt, dried whey, dl-methionine, taurine, l-lysine, dried wheat grass powder, dried barley grass powder, yeast culture, lecithin, natural extractives of cloves, sage, and rosemary, dried kelp, garlic, black pepper, artichoke, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation product, dried entercococcus faecium fermentation product, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried lactobacillus lactis fermentation product, dried aspergillus niger fermentation product, ascorbic acid, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, manganese proteinate, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper proteinate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, vitamin A acetate, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement.

Overalll it is a good looking food ... the highlights are some things kittys often have issues with or I wonder why are in there ....

How old is the cat in ??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
so I compile the right list age of kitty, other health issues , taste preferences , wt ( is it okay , light or heavy)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can the % of the RX and did the vet okay looking into non rxs ??

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Overalll it is a good looking food ... the highlights are some things kittys often have issues with or I wonder why are in there ....

How old is the cat in ??
Nugent is probably about 6 or 7.

Nugie is quite overweight and has two issues.
1. He doesn't always clean himself well because fo being overweight and that could be how the bacteria caused the infection that caused the crystals.

2. He will no doubt need the rest of his teeth taken out as soon as I can afford it and that could also be the reason he had a UTI.

What I've been reading tells me that the Struvite Crystals are caused from an infection which supports what the vet told me. And I don't know why I am giving all this info. Probably because I'm on edge about all this special needs stuff.

Below is what's in the Eukanuba Low Ph/S the vet gave me to use.

Calories
1,159 kcal/kg, 198 kcal/can, 33 kcal/oz.

Ingredients
Water, Chicken Liver, Chicken, Brewers Rice, Whitefish, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Fish Oil (preserved with Ethoxyquin), Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Brewers Dried Yeast, Taurine, Tricalcium Phosphate, DL-Methionine, Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (Vitamin K3)

Caloric Distribution
Protein 34%...Fat 54%...Carbohydrate 12%

Guaranteed Analysis

Nutrient (percent)
Crude Protein not less than 9.5%
Crude Fat not less than 5.0%
Crude Fiber not more than 1.0%
Moisture not more than 78.0%
Ash not more than 1.9%
Magnesium not more than 0.025%
Taurine not less than 0.08%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids not less than 0.50%*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids not less than 0.10%*

It's kind of looking to me like the Eukanuba might be the better choice. (Of course I know squat about proper eating.)

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

If you can the % of the RX and did the vet okay looking into non rxs ??
I haven't discussed any changes with the vet yet. I am mainly looking for better options to mix in for the change over. And I did discuss with the tech that I was going to have to mix the food since he was turning his nose up at the straight prescription which she said ok to.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

For some reason that list of ingredients doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t match what is listed for Uretic on Wysongâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s site or on the actual product:

Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Giblets, Ground Oat Groats, Fish Oil, Salt, Dried Whey, DL¬-Methionine, Taurine, L-Lysine, Eggs, Plums, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols as a source of vitamin E), Ground Wheat, Dried Wheat Grass Powder, Dried Barley Grass Powder, Whey, Dried Yogurt, Lecithin, Citric Acid, Sage Extract, Rosemary Extract, Dried Kelp, Garlic, Black Pepper, Artichoke, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus lactis Fermentation Product, Dried Yeast Culture, Dried Aspergillus niger Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Ascorbic Acid, Zinc Proteinate, lron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Manga¬nese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Protein¬ate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

Corn isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t a main ingredient- or even listed at all for that matter- which is partially why I chose the food over other diets…did I miss something or was the other site just possibly out of date? I avoid anything with corn for my guys, so if it goes by another name...I'd like to know.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yorda

For some reason that list of ingredients doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t match what is listed for Uretic on Wysongâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s site or on the actual product:

Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Giblets, Ground Oat Groats, Fish Oil, Salt, Dried Whey, DL¬-Methionine, Taurine, L-Lysine, Eggs, Plums, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols as a source of vitamin E), Ground Wheat, Dried Wheat Grass Powder, Dried Barley Grass Powder, Whey, Dried Yogurt, Lecithin, Citric Acid, Sage Extract, Rosemary Extract, Dried Kelp, Garlic, Black Pepper, Artichoke, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus lactis Fermentation Product, Dried Yeast Culture, Dried Aspergillus niger Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Ascorbic Acid, Zinc Proteinate, lron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Manga¬nese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Protein¬ate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

Corn isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t a main ingredient- or even listed at all for that matter- which is partially why I chose the food over other diets…did I miss something or was the other site just possibly out of date? I avoid anything with corn for my guys, so if it goes by another name...I'd like to know.
Yorda,
Maybe Petco put the wrong info with the product?
Off to the Wysong site.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Always possible
I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything and feeding something I didn't want to be.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yorda,

Yep, totally different than what Petco shows.
Wysong Uretic on the Wysong site.

And for this formula they say.
A food formulated for cats prone to urolithiasis, but also an excellent maintenance diet. Contains no excess minerals and helps maintain an acidic urine.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow those are different ... the one on wysongs site is good and if you can look into it over the RX... I wish the % were more detailed

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I am going to substitute the Wysong in place of the Felidae I've been using. Now to come up with two more dry foods to use in place of the Innova Lite and the California Natural.

Oh, the effort I put forth for these furry little bundles of love and mischief!

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thought I would update to say that I faxed the info to the vet on the Wysong Uretic and she OKed that for a mix for Nugent with his prescription food. The tech told me that it does have the ingredient they consider necessary to deal with his struvite crystals.

Consequently I have ordered all Wysong Uretic for this months food so he will not be getting anything he shouldn't have and I hope he has no more problems in the future.

I find the Wysong to be just a tiny bit more expensive than the other foods I've been using, but well worth the extra couple dollars if it will prevent further vet visits due to crystals.

Thank you sharky and yorda for your input. It has been a great help to me!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the update keep us posted