Urinary Tract Infection

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Simon recently developed a urinary infection. The problem came to light when he started having peeing outside his pan. He has been on medication (pills) since Saturday morning (Oct 21st)f and was showing improvement, peeing where he should be. But he had an accident outside the pan Thursday night and I found another Friday morning before I left for work. I give him his medicine twice a day and only missed it on Thursday morning because he won't let me give it to him. I was about to Thursday night but Friday morning was very difficult to give the pill again but I persisted and got it down.

During all this the last couple days he is showing little interest in dry food. He is a heavy cat and two weeks ago I started him on a diet. So instead of dry food whenever he wants I give him an opprotunity in the morning and evening, leaving the food out for 1/2 hour or more. The last two mornings he has not eaten any dry at all, but will eat the cat food I give him as a treat before I leave for work (always done this).

I think he may be stressed about the change in the eating situation and also the medication. So I was wondering if I should just put his dry food down 24/7 until he is over the urinary infection. So he only has one thing to stress about, the pills.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. L.

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm going through the same thing now with Cody, my female cat. UGH!!!!!
She pee'd twice in the dining room Thurday and then again tonight so I'm calling the vet tomorrow morning. Looks to be an infection to me which she has had before. She is also a obese cat which I'm putting on a diet.

My thought is he is probably just not hungry because of the medicine, that might be a side effect...even though Cody has never had that problem.

If it persists and he's still not eating after a couple days, call back your vet and ask him about it. I'll let you know if I find out more info tomorrow.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be careful with sudden changes in diet or a diet itself, it should be done carefull because you can really screw up the cat if not. If you can, switch him to a high quality wet (canned) food. All dry is unhealthy, fattening, full of carbs, and wet will add water to his diet to help prevent UTIs. For dry food, if you choose to still go that route, get something like Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul or Premium Edge. They contain cranberry extract which is a good UTI preventative for animals and humans too. You can add more water to the canned food as well. Or you can add cranberry extract to his wet food too.

For pilling the cat, are you scruffing him and holding him down and pushing it way back with your finger? That is the best way if you don't have a pill popper. You can pill the most hateful cats that way successfully. I was just curious since you said he won't let you give it to him. Obviously no cat is going to willingly take it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wet is best but do it slow and AFTER the uti is over...

Corn or Corn gluten is often used to balence the acid in chn based foods....

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Free feeding is thought to be worse for UTI's as well.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has cystitis (don't know if that is the same, don't think so but FIS and UTI, and FUS, have me confused), anyway, he has sandy material in his urine if I don't give him twice a day carpon. You can search it on the web, and it has helped him immensly. I have purchased the US equivalent of cystease, which is used in the UK, to strengthen the bladder wall. Haven't started it yet, because of the pill issue. My guy gets two carpons a day, I am reluctant to add two more pills. But I bought it, so I should give it a try. I am hoping that whatever it does will cure my guy all together so he doesn't develop too much sandy material, and won't need to acidify.

Anyway some other pill giving ideas are to put butter on the pill and use the pill pockets. My guy will not eat the pill pockets, but he does like a little butter on his pill. I pull his head all the way back so his mouth drops open a little, and then with the other hand forefinger and thumb holding the pill aom right for the center and push it down with your finger. I keep my fingernail clipped. Sometimes he jerks and I miss my mark and then ti is a battle to get it down, but we manage. I hate doing it and he hates it to.
You should ask your vet to demonstrate how to give pills next time you are there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your message. How is Cody?

It is like torture giving Simon his pills, but this morning there was a pee in the cat pan. So it looks like it is working. His eating is still down but he is eating, just not what he normally does. It's just no fun having a sick pet.

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, it's definitely not fun! Glad to hear Simon is eating again and hopefully feeling better.

Right now, Cody has been going in the litterbox BUT we have found multiple spots all over the house where she's pee'd. It's driving me crazy, honestly. I couldn't get in to the vets Sat, so I need to call back today. The vet will probably want to do another Urine test (which we have had done multiple times). If he says it's behavior, I don't know what I am going to do.

And we are on day 3 of no free feeding and it had not been a fun past 2 nights. They are waking up all hours of the night, thus waking us up. Boo has been okay with it but Cody is crying all the time for food. I think her nervous behavior is contributing to her weight gain since she eats when she's nervous.

I also introduced them to wet food Friday night...starting off by giving them a little taste at a time. Boo likes it, Cody won't even try it and she's the one who needs the protein. UGH - This cat is going to be the death of me!

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh and for future pill giving, ask your vet for one of those plastic needles they use in their office, only cut in half without the needle. I put the pill in it and basically just shoot it down her throat. It happens so fast, she doesn't even feel it. Plus, there's no struggle, no fussing, no foaming at the mouth, no spitting it up, no choking the kitty and no pills getting caught in her throat whatsoever. I have found this the easiest way to make sure she gets her medicine.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, both stress and changes in diet can trigger urinary outbreaks... so you've got a two-for-one situation right now. The cat does sound stressed.

For now I would absolutely go back to the cat's normal diet until the symptoms are gone. After the cat is healthy again, then I agree with those who suggest you should introduce wet food to the cat's diet. Provide lots of water, also. And my feeling is that it's better to free feed a lite cat food (both wet and dry) than to limit portions of a regular-fat cat food. I think you might see equally good results by putting the cat on a diet cat food, and the cat will be eating the same amount so won't feel stressed or deprived.

In my opinion, the risks of urinary problems (possible blockages and death) are greater and more immediate than those of being overweight. So if none of these solutions work, I wouldn't persist with the diet for your cat.

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Susan,
Sorry to hear that Cody is still having problems? Simon's doing really well today. He took his pill great this evening, or maybe I'm just getting better. He's snuggled on my lap right now purring away. While since he's over 17 lbs. only half of him is on my lap. Does Cody have a weight problem? Simon is a large cat, 14 or 15 lbs would be be great for him.

I did go back to feeding him dry food 24/7 and giving wet food in the morning before I leave for work. I might try again with the reduction of food when his health is good again. I think he might have been unhappy about winter coming, because I had to close all the windows in the house.

Hey I saw that your a graphic designer, so am I. I've been a designer forever. While I was going to school for my BFA, I worked as a designer. And have been working in the field full-time since '92. I wish I could make a living as a fine artist, but at least I am in a profession that allows me to be creative all the time.

Laurie

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Laurie,

Yep, I totally agree...I love working in a creative field. I'm a graphic designer for the dairy industry...got milk? Do you work for a company or freelance? My husband doesn't understand my constant need to be creatively challenged! I just started working on the "design" of our upstairs bedroom (I wanted to be an interior designer at one time!) Love putting colors together, painting and watching it all come together.
I feel like I tackled Illustrator so I'm currently trying to learn more about Photoshop and all it's infinite uses...keeps changing! Oh, and trying to teach myself InDesign...the switch from Quark has not been easy!

Sounds like Simon is feeling better! Yeah! Do you have any pictures of him? Cody does have a bad weight problem...she's about 23 lbs right now. She's HUGE, looks more like a dog than a cat. She started her diet on Friday...no more free feeding. I also bought some wet food and Boo's been eating it while Cody just snubs her nose at it. She needs the protein. The past few nights have been hard as they are use to getting up for snacks...now they're playing and attacking each other.
I do think her weight is contributing to her problem. I called the vet back and he said it is probably behavioral as she seems to be "marking" her territory with small pee marks and is still using the litterbox. (we have had her tested multiple times for everything) I haven't noticed any blood in her urine which is usually a clear sign of a UTI. I'm wondering if she just can't hold it in?

So right now our house is completely blocked off with baby gates so she can't get into the nice rooms. It has been very frustating the past couple years, she does it on and off. What do you do with a cat that pees all over the place...sometimes? She's ruining our house and it's breaking my heart. The vet said to bring her in if she has another "accident" this week and bring in yet another urine sample. UGH!!!!!!

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's ok I like reading books.

I ran Simon to the vet this morning. The medicine he is on does not seem like it was helping. He only went in his cat pan on Monday, but not since. So the vet put him on a different antibiotic. The other news is he has lost over a pound, he is now 16 lbs. 4 oz. Which of course is good because I want him to lose weight, but I can consistantly worrying about how much he isn't eating. He show an interest in the wet food, but then only eats a little bit. I have not seen him eat dry food since Saturday. But the vet said not to worry about his weight, if it was only that easy.

Everything else about him seems perfectly normal, he still plays, sleeps well, no throwing up, it is drivng me NUTS. Nothing is right when I have a sick cat.

Let me just say WOW, Cody is a big cat. What would be a good weight for him?

Laurie

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, I sent you a picture of Simon. I'm just learning how to use this sight so bare with me. L.

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by russ0268

Everything else about him seems perfectly normal, he still plays, sleeps well, no throwing up, it is drivng me NUTS. Nothing is right when I have a sick cat.

Let me just say WOW, Cody is a big cat. What would be a good weight for him?
I wish Cody was a "him"...then it wouldn't be that bad...but she should probably be around 15 lbs as her bone structure is big. I can hardly even carry her in the cat carrier anymore. She's been going outside chasing leaves for more exercise too.

That is so strange that Simon isn't eating...Cody always eats no matter what meds she's on or how she feels...hence the 20some weight. Glad you got him a new antibiotic...hopefully this will help. Did they tell you how long before it should kick in? Has he been having more accidents outside the pan?

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To many accidents outside the pan. But it's really the not eating that's got me worried. He did eat some chicken I offered him this morning, so I will try that again tonight. Just take it one day at a time.

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Susan,

Just want to see how everything was going. Simon is doing better, he is eating plenty of wet food everyday. From this site I have been told that a primary wet diet for Simon could be the best thing for his health. And he is starting to go in his cat pan again. I guess the new medicine is starting to take effect. I am staying hopeful but am still taking one day at a time.

How is Cody doing? Is she being a good girl and going pee where she should?

Hey, I was in the pet food store today getting plenty of canned food for my guys and a woman walked in with a Sphynx kitten. It was the first time I have seem one in person. She said she takes her everywhere. I have always thought they were kind of funny looking, but she was very cute, and soft. I don't think I could own one, but never say never.

Hope your have a good weekend. I am almost done with paying bill and want to start working on one of my drawings. Never enought time to work on my own art.

Take care, Laurie

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear your Simon is eating better and feeling better.