Tricks and treaters, a PAIN!!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Listen, I think it is cute to go out and get candy, lord knows I got plenty as a kid, but the constant ringing of the doorbell freaks out my kitty cats, and I am just tired of it. Besides that, I usually end up eating way too much candy, (if there is such a thing!)

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could always set the bowl outside and let them have at it. But the chances of just a few kids taking all the candy is great. Maybe sit outside with the candy? Probably too cold for that. Hmm I guess i am not much help!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe how early the kids round here started this year - about 2 weeks ago. I've been telling them 'you're too early, not for another x days, come back then'.

I don't like that they go round the pubs either, mind you it's probably safer than going door to door, I live in a very rough area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Epona, what do they get at the pub? Is there candy. when I was young, we used to run around by ourselves, but now it seems like the parents are always along too, except for the teenagers, who shouldn't be out begging for candy anyway.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
luckily we only get kids on Halloween night...and Monkey loves to sit in the window and watch the kids go by...too bad they just can't say halloween is always the last friday of October...it sucks that they have it on a Tuesday...

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aound here if the 31st isn't on a Friday or a Saturday the designate a trick or treat day.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

Epona, what do they get at the pub? Is there candy. when I was young, we used to run around by ourselves, but now it seems like the parents are always along too, except for the teenagers, who shouldn't be out begging for candy anyway.
They haven't got anything yet, most people tell them to come back on 31st (or 28th which is the day of the pub's halloween party). I would give sweets (candy) but I suspect that a lot of people give money, not many people take sweets to the pub.

The pub is quite rough, last night someone came along after the doors shut, and put in the window, luckily no-one was sitting nearby or they could have been hurt. The police came and everything.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Aound here if the 31st isn't on a Friday or a Saturday the designate a trick or treat day.
They should do that here...

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I can't believe how early the kids round here started this year - about 2 weeks ago. I've been telling them 'you're too early, not for another x days, come back then'.
Wow, I've never seen that happen.

Last year I think we had over 250 kids and we were exhausted by the end of the night. I'm surprised, but Nakita's not scared with all the noise. She just goes upstairs and watches from the window.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LoveMyBabies

I had no idea kids trick or treated before Halloween! Is this common?
Halloween is the 31st and IMHO that is the only day that kids should be going out trick or treating. It's like saying that if Christmas is on a Tuesday, the government is rescheduling celebrations for a Friday or Saturday!

That's just dumb!!!!

felicia's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I live, residents who want children will usually turn on their porch lights to look more "inviting." People who don't want any, sit pracitcally in the dark.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here they only switch the trick or treating if Halloween falls on a Sunday. I do want to buy a movie before Halloween is over but I can't I am out of money till payday. I want that movie an American Haunting. I live pretty close to Adams, TN and I have been there before when out driving around. So I want that movie. I think I might name my next black cat either Jinx or Belle as in the Belle witch.
I love a good ghost story. especially if its near me. But I don't like gory horror films

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankfully, I live around the back of a house, so NO trick or treaters for me!! But I'm sure I'll here the dogs barking upstairs everytime the doorbell rings.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because of the way the houses on my street are set up- the front door is on the side- everyone sits in front of the garages to give out candy. That works in Hawaii due to the warm weather.
There will be lots of kids large and small. The parents are always with the little kids. It's actually kind of fun to watch the little ones, they're so shy about it and so cute in their costumes.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Felicia's Mom

Where I live, residents who want children will usually turn on their porch lights to look more "inviting." People who don't want any, sit pracitcally in the dark.
Oh, if ONLY that had worked last year! I was at home, but had decided not to join in trick-or-treats. I sat inside, all lights out but the one in the basement family room (where, if memory serves, I was on TCS most of the evening!) and I must've gotten 20 groups of kids coming up to a dark doorstep ringing my bell! Cinnamon goes ballistic any time someone's at the door, so every time I would have to go upstairs, grab him by the collar and tell the kids "I don't have anything, sorry."

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A sign covering the doorbell that says, "Please Knock" works well. Doorbells going all night freak me out, too, AND the kitties.

Everywhere I've lived the unwritten rule is to treat-or-treat only at houses that have a porch light on and a pumpkin by the door.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the idea of a sign covering the doorbell, or just covering the doorbell so they can't see it. I'm sure I can come up with something. the cats will alwert me when someone is knocking. I might not hear it because it is the front door on my enclosed porch, and then the door to the house, but the cats are very alert. They are better than a dog for alerting you to someone being around the house. they turn their heads and ears to the exact location.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats are very good at alerting us to someone outside. Pushy even let us know when someone was breaking into the laundry room, even though we couldn't hear a thing.
Our apartment building has secure entry so we never have to bother with the trick or treaters.