things kids take from learning new things

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 4 year old and his classmates all went to the doctors office for a school trip to learn about GERMS. When i picked my sone up from school he was so upset and we had to go talk to the teacher. My son had gotten the idea that Germs some how come after you and move into your nose.
His teacher tried to tell him that Germs do not come after you and told him Germs were tiny things we could not see that could sometimes make us sick witch then sent my son into crying saying I dont want to be sick. by the end of the day my son would not take his little mask and hat off that the doctor gave him so home we went dressed like this pic below. Took him 2 days to get over this idea of Germs coming after him. We did have to take a trip back to the doctors so they could re explain germs to him.

Its one of them moments you want to just hug them and laugh at the same time. Any one else ever had something like this happen? Where kids just get a little confused on what they have learned?

janb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Remember the song that goes with Sleeping beauty:-
They was a princess long ago long ago long ago... repeat
Anyway without typing the whole song out, she slept for a hundred years, a great big forest grew around and a handsome prince came riding by etc etc. You know the one.
My daughter when 4 got the words muddled up, and this is what she sung VERY LOUDLY in nusery class.

'The princess slept for hundred years, a hundred years, a hundred years
repeat
And then the princess screwed around, screwed around, screwed around
repeat.

They was no stopping her, she thought she was singing the right words as much as we all told her NO YOUR NOT.
It was embarrassing at the time but very funny now

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in fifth grade, we had 'the talk'. A special teacher came to the school, took all the fifth grade boys out, and they came back a while later.

Then all the fifth grade girls got taken to the library and shown a couple of sex ed videos and 'the tallk'. Of course, it ended with "any questions?" Nobody asked the teacher anything (she was really comfortable and approachable, too, I thought).

For some reason, though, a group of girls with questions, who couldn't face asking the teacher (I guess), ended up asking me. Apparently they were baffled by the fact that you could get pregnent if a boy got sperm on the lips of your vagina (the labia) - because they heard 'lips' and thought 'face'.

I was the class know-it-all, so I had a fair amount of playground credibility, but it still took me ages to explain it to them.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Must've been how my mom felt after we had "the talk."

I was an early (very early) bloomer, and my mom had given me two books: "What's Happening to Me?" and "Where did I Come From?" and I devoured both, repeatedly (always have been an avid reader).
Few weeks later, on the playground, a classmate of mine was talking about how his mom had a big scar on her tummy, and she told him that it was from when he was born. I told him that wasn't right, that babies come out between your legs, not from your tummy. Escalated into a HUGE screaming match, I told him "That's NOT how babies are born!!!" Lucky we didn't get into any trouble for it, but we didn't speak to each other much after that.
I of course told my mother what a liar this boy was, and she had to sit down and explain to her dear 8 yr old daughter what a Cesaerian section was and that he was not a liar. . .
I wonder what joys I'll have to look forward to correcting my own child's thinking in the future?????
Now sounds like a great time to talk to your son about all the ways his body can defend itself against germs!!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RicaLynn

I of course told my mother what a liar this boy was, and she had to sit down and explain to her dear 8 yr old daughter what a Cesaerian section was and that he was not a liar. . .
Hilarious!

For some reason, that reminds me...

It was the day before my sixth birthday, and I was having (my second) surgery (just a minor kid thing) on my eyes. I woke up post up, and I could hear my mom's voice so I guess I sat up, but then I got really upset and started screaming "I CAN'T SEE!"

Next thing I hear is my mother's amused voice saying "Open your eyes, twit@ss".

The doctors and nurses on duty that day must have gotten a good laugh, between that, and my other antics. Given that it was the day before my birthday all the doctors and nurses who spoke to me wished me a happy birthday - and I kept saying "It's not my birthday!"

Oh, and when they wheeled me in to the OR, the anaethesist tried to explain that they would put me to sleep, but I kept telling them that I couldn't sleep without a pillow. They finally gave in and gave me a pillow so I would let the man do his job. I seriously had the pillow for like six seconds, given that that's how far I could count (if they hadn't made me count, it might have taken longer - the gas smelled truly vile, so I probably would have tried to hold my breath!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing your stories it just is too funny the thing kids do these days and things we all did as kids too

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad used to tell me that watermelons would grow in my belly if I ate the seeds...I used to wait for my belly to grow full of watermelons

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

My dad used to tell me that watermelons would grow in my belly if I ate the seeds...I used to wait for my belly to grow full of watermelons
hahaha thats funny my dad told me that too

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've told this story before, but it could use a retell. Keep in mind we had just had the good touch/bad touch talk in PreSchool. When I was three I was mauled by a dog and had to have sugary to reconstruct the right side of my face. When I was in the hospital, the nurse kept trying to take off my underwear. I kept screaming "I DON'T KNOW YOU!" The whole hospital could hear me.

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww i am sorry you got bit by the dog,

But the yelling i dont know you is too funny, but atleast you think of what they tought you and you were doing the right thing by yelling even though it was a nurse hahahaha

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lovinmom828

My 4 year old and his classmates all went to the doctors office for a school trip to learn about GERMS. When i picked my sone up from school he was so upset and we had to go talk to the teacher. My son had gotten the idea that Germs some how come after you and move into your nose.
His teacher tried to tell him that Germs do not come after you and told him Germs were tiny things we could not see that could sometimes make us sick witch then sent my son into crying saying I dont want to be sick. by the end of the day my son would not take his little mask and hat off that the doctor gave him so home we went dressed like this pic below. Took him 2 days to get over this idea of Germs coming after him. We did have to take a trip back to the doctors so they could re explain germs to him.

Its one of them moments you want to just hug them and laugh at the same time. Any one else ever had something like this happen? Where kids just get a little confused on what they have learned?

Kristy, how did you keep from laughing so hard?
That is so cute!!!!!!

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks pami , It was hard not to laugh cuz my little on was so upset so i tired to hide the laughs until we got him threw the fear of Germs hidding out in his nose and stilling his boogers lol he says those are his to pick not the germs hahahahahahahaha

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks pami , It was hard not to laugh cuz my little on was so upset so i tired to hide the laughs until we got him threw the fear of Germs hidding out in his nose and stilling his boogers lol he says those are his to pick not the germs hahahahahahahaha

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes he says some funny things,

I had said one day to my husband i am losing my mind and my little one jumped right in and said its in your nose mommy go ahead and pick it. He must have a thing about picking noses hahahahah

goosehazel

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Up to my eyeballs in Thomas the Tank Engine undies
My Mom always tells the story about the time I was with her in the grocery store. I think I was 3 or so. I did something wrong and Mom yelled at me and I said (really loudly) don't hit me Mommy. I drew a lot of attention with that one
The funny part is that my Mom has never laid a hand on me.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How cute! It is so hard to get an idea out of a kids head once they are set on it. He looks so cute with the medical gear on!

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
goozehazel that was a great story funny

thanks beckiboo yes it sure is hard to make them change there thoughts on something ones they have made up there minds on the topic

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Aww i am sorry you got bit by the dog,

But the yelling i dont know you is too funny, but atleast you think of what they tought you and you were doing the right thing by yelling even though it was a nurse hahahaha
The dog bit has never really been a big deal for me. I have some scars and my face is a little droopy, but I'm fine. My parents, however, were amazingly smart about the whole thing. I was terrified of dogs after the whole thing happened, so they found some friends that had them and started slowly exposing me. My father realized that I couldn't be scared of them my entire life. I am sure once DH and I buy a house we are going to a shelter an adopting one. My only hitch is that it can't be a collie, that's the type of dog that mauled me. I still think it's okay that I hold a grudge against that breed.

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

The dog bit has never really been a big deal for me. I have some scars and my face is a little droopy, but I'm fine. My parents, however, were amazingly smart about the whole thing. I was terrified of dogs after the whole thing happened, so they found some friends that had them and started slowly exposing me. My father realized that I couldn't be scared of them my entire life. I am sure once DH and I buy a house we are going to a shelter an adopting one. My only hitch is that it can't be a collie, that's the type of dog that mauled me. I still think it's okay that I hold a grudge against that breed.
Yes my oldest son at the time he was 1 got attacked by a dog and had 6 stiches in his face. He too was afarid of dogs for awhile but he is over it now and we have a dog of our own named Baby a boxer mix and my son loves her.

He was attacked by a pittbull, i dont hold anything agaist the breed though just have to be careful with everydog i think it is the way they are raised maybe?