Umbilical Hernia Operation Query

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK so I'm a great big worrier, and of course I will ask the vet any questions that come to mind, but wondered if anyone had cats who had this operation....

My male kitten is due to be neutered in a couple of weeks, and will have an operation on his umbilical hernia at the same time. With a female, I understand that they do the spay through the same site, so there is only 1 incision - however my boy will essentially be having 2 operations on his little body at the same time.

I was wondering if these hernia ops tend to heal up ok or if there is likelihood of any ongoing problems? (The hernia itself has not caused any problems, we check it regularly and it is fine)

Is Radar likely to be prescribed pain medication or anything else, or would it be a good idea to specifically request some to minimise the chance of him licking/biting at his stitches

How big is the incision likely to be? I know that this will be different for males than females because it is usually the same incision as the spay, whereas for males it is a separate op.

Is he going to have to wear a cone, or is a body sock a better option? I cannot imagine him keeping either on for more than about 3.2 nanoseconds. He does not wear a collar normally and is therefore not used to wearing a collar.

My last and most awful (and probably most stupid) worry - I have heard that kitties with umbilical hernias are more likely to have other congenital problems, especially heart defects. The vet has listened to his heart on 2 previous visits, and has not said that anything is amiss. He would have said if he'd detected a heart problem, wouldn't he? Sorry I suffer from anxiety and I am getting repeated thoughts that my queries about aftercare will be irrelevant if he dies under anaesthetic. The vet wouldn't operate if there was a big risk of this, would he?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ginger had a really bad belly button hernia, and had it fixed when she was spayed. The incision was at least 4 inches long, and healed up great. She has zero heart issues and is VERY healthy.

I'm assuming the incision should be no bigger than an inch at most on your boy, and should heal up very quickly.
I do suggest a body sock if you're worried about him licking it.

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! That's quite a bit to think about! I'm sorry I have no advice for you but I wish your little guy (and you!) the best of luck with this surgery and sending lots of positive vibes that everything turns out successful!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GingersMom - Thank you, what a quick reply! It is reassuring to know that your Ginger has no other health problems - sometimes I spend too long googling things and getting myself worked up
I think that Radar has sort of become the focus for the worst aspects of my anxiety, if I wasn't worrying about this, I would be worrying about him in some other way

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GirlSetsFiyah

Oh my goodness! That's quite a bit to think about! I'm sorry I have no advice for you but I wish your little guy (and you!) the best of luck with this surgery and sending lots of positive vibes that everything turns out successful!!
Thank you! I have not booked him in yet so don't have a date, but he will be 6 months on 11th November so will be asking for an appointment around that time

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If we didn't worry about our furkids, what kind of meowmies would we be!

I just know he'll be fine - but please do keep us posted! When is his appointment?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

If we didn't worry about our furkids, what kind of meowmies would we be!

I just know he'll be fine - but please do keep us posted! When is his appointment?
I have to phone the vet tomorrow or Monday to get him an appointment, and I certainly will keep you updated!

Thank you for helping to reassure me at a time when you have been worrying about your own little lad at the vet, me panicking about possible surgery complications is probably the last thing you wanted to think about - thanks for your kindness

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I have to phone the vet tomorrow or Monday to get him an appointment, and I certainly will keep you updated!

Thank you for helping to reassure me at a time when you have been worrying about your own little lad at the vet, me panicking about possible surgery complications is probably the last thing you wanted to think about - thanks for your kindness
Oh, pshaw...that's what TCS is all about, right? Us supporting and educating each other through our experiences.

I just love this site!

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Is he going to have to wear a cone, or is a body sock a better option? I cannot imagine him keeping either on for more than about 3.2 nanoseconds. He does not wear a collar normally and is therefore not used to wearing a collar.
See what the vet has to say. My girls don't normally wear a collar but they both had to wear cones after their spay op because they wouldn't leave their stitches alone! The cones I got were further secured to the girls' necks with bandages - this was completely useless because the Cindy shredded hers within seconds and Bella was able to get enough stretchiness (is that even a word??) out of her bandage to get her cone off! I ended up having to buy a couple of snap off collars to secure the cones to keep them on. If Radar does get coned, be aware that you might have to cut the cone a bit so that he is still able to eat his food!
Body socks were no good for me - the girls shredded them with seconds of my getting them on!!

You're a caring meowmy so it's only natural for you to worry about your boy - let's face it, I think everyone here worries about their baby at one point or other. Keep us posted and I have every confidence that everything will go well for you both