digital camera

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can I get some opinions please? I'm finally getting around to buying my first digital camera, and the two I'm thinking about are:
Nikon coolpix L5
and
Canon Powershot G7
Anyone own one of these cameras or a similar model?

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a canon....but it's a little different from that one...all that I know is that canon has great products!! You can go to amazon.com and look at the reviews on the camera....it always helps me buy something

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the G6 if you have any questions, just ask. If you're interested in seeing my photo album, let me know.

If you don't care about having a RAW mode, you may want to look at this camera as well. Key features include image stabilizer and 12x optical zoom. I've seen some excellent images produced by this camera:

Canon Powershot S3

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my canon powershot - mine is the A85 I think. It's only flaw is that the shutter speed is too slow for taking clear action shots - I get a lot of blurred pics when the kitties move while I'm taking the pic.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I love my canon powershot - mine is the A85 I think. It's only flaw is that the shutter speed is too slow for taking clear action shots - I get a lot of blurred pics when the kitties move while I'm taking the pic.
I am able to change the shutter speed on mine...you should be able with yours also

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alaynna

I am able to change the shutter speed on mine...you should be able with yours also
LOL, but that would mean I have to read the huge instruction booklet and take the camera setting off "auto!"

tinyone21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Persoanlly, I like the canon, I own A Canon pwershotA520, and I absolutely love it!...works like a wonder. takes nice photos also.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Russian Blue

I have the G6 if you have any questions, just ask. If you're interested in seeing my photo album, let me know.

If you don't care about having a RAW mode, you may want to look at this camera as well. Key features include image stabilizer and 12x optical zoom. I've seen some excellent images produced by this camera:

Canon Powershot S3
That's the one I'm getting next. The Powershot S3. Depends on what you're looking for in a digital, but I've owned 2 Canon powershots in the past and wouldn't own anything else. I still have people comment on my photos and they are from a 3.2MP camera. I did some research on the S3 and it's exactly what I want. Price not too bad, 6MP (plenty!), 12X optical zoom.
As for blurry action shots. What I do typically is put the camera setting on the continuous photo mode instead of messing with the shutter speed. that way one click and the camera continues to take a series of pics until you let go of the button. I find that easiest for kits, or my kids sports games. A lot of them are still blurry, but because the camera's taking continuous shots, you almost always get at least 1 or 2 that are crystal clear and then I just delete the rest.
The Powershot S3 is gonna be my present to me!
I never buy anything for myself ever - so I figure it's time to treat myself!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

As for blurry action shots. What I do typically is put the camera setting on the continuous photo mode instead of messing with the shutter speed. that way one click and the camera continues to take a series of pics until you let go of the button. I find that easiest for kits, or my kids sports games. A lot of them are still blurry, but because the camera's taking continuous shots, you almost always get at least 1 or 2 that are crystal clear and then I just delete the rest.
Oooh, I'll have to look into that! I don't know if mine has that capability or not, but that sounds like the way to go! Thanks!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the canon powershot A430. I love it, but its not very "professional". It's only a $200 camera, and thats what I paid in Canada.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oooh, I'll have to look into that! I don't know if mine has that capability or not, but that sounds like the way to go! Thanks!
Yes, your camera has that feature (I previously owned the A80). Just check the back of your manual for the index and look up 'continuous shooting mode'. It should be an icon of multiple boxes on top of each other (maybe with the letter H on top)

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would go with Canon G7 over Nikon because it is more capable as well, but it is more expensive. If I may make a suggestion for another model, Canon Rebel XT. Looking at the prices Rebal XT is very close to G7 and it is a DSLR. You might consider it. Here is a link from B and H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Here is a forum about all Canon camera, check it out to see what the users are saying about the models. This might be helpful in deciding your purchase.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your replies.
I'm definitely going for the Canon, now I have to decide between their models!

I've been meaning to buy a camera for over a year now. Man, I am the queen of procrastination.
It's very helpful to hear from people who actually own something, rather than just reading the product info.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Thank you everyone for your replies.
I'm definitely going for the Canon, now I have to decide between their models!

I've been meaning to buy a camera for over a year now. Man, I am the queen of procrastination.
Oh, you should swing by my place and I'll take you camera shopping and introduce you to all the wonderful features. Think of me as your personal pocket guide to digital cameras.

I don't like shopping but love to shop for cameras. Guys drool over cars, I drool over cameras.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If you have the Canon A80 then it definitely has it. Just press the "function" key and scroll down to "drive mode". Continuous is signified by a bunch of overlapping boxes. It works really well when you do that for action shots. I managed to get all 18 kids on my daughters soccer team (individual photos) using that function and I made them all up 8x10 plaques for their tournament. Couple of pics below were taken using a canon A70 with the continous mode. They're not perfect, but don't forget this is a 3 year old 3.2MP, not a 6 or 7MP.
(By the way - the black boxes across their eyes I put there cause these aren't my kids and I didn't want any upset parents)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Russian Blue

Oh, you should swing by my place and I'll take you camera shopping and introduce you to all the wonderful features. Think of me as your personal pocket guide to digital cameras.

I don't like shopping but love to shop for cameras. Guys drool over cars, I drool over cameras.
I'll definitely take you up on the offer of a tutorial!
I'd love to see your photo album too. The pictures you've shared have all been wonderful.