Fireworks

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

It's almost that time of year again. The fireworks started last night and my poor babies were absolutely terrified

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can use to help keep my babies from getting scared out of their wits and/or stressed out?

I've spoken to my vets and they say I can bring the girls in and they can prescribe something for them but I'm not sure that I want to be pumping them full of drugs.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are allowed outdoors, definitely bring them inside until firework season is over. The noises are louder to them if they are outdoors, they may run away, or run into the road, and also some people think it's funny to throw fireworks at cats (or worse).

When there are fireworks outside, play music or have the telly on, fairly loud. Hearing a sudden bang is much more startling if it comes out of silence than if there is background noise.

Keep them in one room if possible and make hiding places for them (cardboard boxes are good for this).

Above all, while you are around them, carry on as normal. Cats pick up on our nervousness, and if you make a fuss about the noises outside, they will be more nervous.

I am lucky in that my cat is not at all fazed by fireworks (we had a test run last weekend with the Diwali celebrations round here!) but I realise that most cats will be at least nervous while there are fireworks going off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that
Bella and Cinders are indoor cats - they've never even been outside! When it all kicked off last night, they were at the top of the stairs - they heard the bangs and could see the lights going up into the sky - this made them too scared to even go hide in the bedroom.
I eventually persuaded them into the dining room which is at the back of the house and is dark and quieter. I think I might start closing the curtains as well so that they can't see the flashes...

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool, when I see UK in the location I never assume that the cats are indoor only! Mine is, I've recently been told I'm cruel not to let him out

It's probably a bit late for this year, but you can get CDs of firework noises that you can use to help pets acclimatise beforehand - you start off playing it at a very low volume and then gradually as they get used to it, turn the volume up - should be done over a period of a few weeks though.

But I would shut them in whichever room they feel most comfortable in with a radio or telly and hiding places, and close the curtains. Oh and litterbox nearby, although don't be too surprised if there are mishaps in that regard - they may be too scared to make it to the box in time.

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Cool, when I see UK in the location I never assume that the cats are indoor only! Mine is, I've recently been told I'm cruel not to let him out
I was always told it was ok to keep them as indoor cats if they had never been out. My girls are British Short Hairs and this particular breed seem to get catnapped a lot in my area so no way am I letting them out!

I'm still interested to find out what this drug is that some vets administer to help pets cope with firework season. More out of curiosity than from wanting to dose my girls up!

Once again, thanks for the tips

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pui Hang

I'm still interested to find out what this drug is that some vets administer to help pets cope with firework season. More out of curiosity than from wanting to dose my girls up!
Probably diazepam (Valium) or amytryptyline - I have heard of both being prescribed to cats for anxiety. I'm not one for medicating in such a manner except as a very last resort. If your cats were likely to injure themselves in panic or suffer long-term nerves/anxiety due to the fireworks it may be worthwhile but only as a short-term thing, as such drugs can be very addictive. Prozac is also prescribed to animals. It depends how terrified they get, I think I would rather give something like that just the once for that night than have them terrified out of their minds for hours on end. You know your cats and are better able to make a decision about that.

It might be worth looking into Bach's Rescue Remedy - you can pick it up at Boots or Holland & Barratt - it's made from flower extracts and is supposed to have a gentle calming effect.

You may also find that Feliway has a calming effect and may take the edge off their nerves - you should be able to pick some up from your vet office or a large pet shop such as Pets At Home

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to admit, I was thinking about getting some refills for my old Feliway plugins. I think I might just do that - anything to help my babies out!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All f our of my insideres are terrified of fireworks and thunder.

KittenKiya is an 18 pound Maine Coon mix, and I watched him, one 4th of July, levitate to the highest point in the house that he could get to, on top of the cabinet over the washing machine. I don't understand why he goes higher. I would think that he would want to be with the others under the chair instead of closer to the noise, but that's my KiyaChan.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

It might be worth looking into Bach's Rescue Remedy - you can pick it up at Boots or Holland & Barratt - it's made from flower extracts and is supposed to have a gentle calming effect.

You may also find that Feliway has a calming effect and may take the edge off their nerves - you should be able to pick some up from your vet office or a large pet shop such as Pets At Home
I second both of those suggestions. And also to keep them in during the evenings for the next few weeks if you can. You can get a cd that's meant to help de-sensitise pets to the sound of fireworks but I'm not sure where you'd get it from, and you're meant to start playing it a few weeks before firework season gets properly underway so you might be a bit late. Might be worth investigating though if yours are scared of the noises. I'm lucky in that mine are indoor cats and the double glazing muffles a lot of the bangs so they aren't too concerned about them.

edit - here you go http://www.petplanet.co.uk/news_arti...article_id=663

A few other product suggestions and tips too.