Shredded food

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only wet food that Chessy will now eat is Meow Mix (which I don't want to give him more than twice a week due to the fish content) and Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys. I think that he likes the shredded consistencies of these foods, because he will no longer eat anything that has chunks in gravy (he just licks the gravy off) or loaf/pate style. I wish I could get him back on Nutro. Any suggestions? Thanks!

As a side note, they are loving California Natural dry!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know of a healthier type of shredded food that I could try?

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried mashing the Nutro pouches with a fork? I have to do that for Eve as she'll only eat pate or shredded.

Will he eat anything else if you mix the Meow Mix with it?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried cal naturals canned??

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naturestee

Have you tried mashing the Nutro pouches with a fork? I have to do that for Eve as she'll only eat pate or shredded.

Will he eat anything else if you mix the Meow Mix with it?
I don't know why I didn't think of that...I'll try it tonight!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Have you tried cal naturals canned??
Nope...that will be my next step.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is just MO, but I would think since you are feeding such a good dry food, that feeding the Meow Mix everyday wouldn't be a problem? My thought is that at least there are no by-products, and my cats won't eat anything else but I do want them to eat their wet everyday, so Meow Mix it is!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

This is just MO, but I would think since you are feeding such a good dry food, that feeding the Meow Mix everyday wouldn't be a problem? My thought is that at least there are no by-products, and my cats won't eat anything else but I do want them to eat their wet everyday, so Meow Mix it is!
I read that it's not a good idea to give male cats too much fish, and all of the flavors of Meow Mix have fish in them. Is it okay to feed him that every day? Because he would love it!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fish is fine fir sine cats... and it can change fast... My Kandie ate fish based food s for the first 17 yrs without trouble now if she gets too much fish ( ie over every other day) she gets a UTI...

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

I read that it's not a good idea to give male cats too much fish, and all of the flavors of Meow Mix have fish in them. Is it okay to feed him that every day? Because he would love it!!
Hmm, I don't really know about the male thing, but i do know of a few members who feed Meow mix everyday and compensate with a super-high quality dry.... I really wish my crew would eat a higher quality wet, but for a couple of my crew the Meow Mix is all they will eat and I'd rather then eat a mid-quality wet than none at all. When i bring a new cat in, I give them Wellness and Innova because I swear it seems like once you give them Meow Mix there's no turning back! so half my babies eat MM, the other half better stuff. I also feed Chicken Soup Dry

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my little fish fiend also likes the new fancy feast medleys in chicken florentine & turkey florentine. the medleys have pretty good ingredient lists (not super awesome, because it is fancy feast
) but i think better than him eating too much meow mix stuff. i'm trying to get him weaned off of it. which he already snubs the MM pouches, and is getting fussy about the cups. so i think he may wean himself off it.
i'm hoping at the end of our latest 12-pack not to need anymore.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh okay.
Thanks everyone!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could look at Merrick's foods--they are more of a stew-like consistency.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Twitch likes shredded...she eats Friskies shredded cans. She refuses the new Fancy Feast & doesn't really like the Meow Mix.