Second Job?

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tis the season..etc. I have been considering a second job to get some extra money this holiday season and I was wondering if anyone else does this. Actually, I don't spend alot on Christmas gifts since I don't have kids or even an immediate family, but there are more jobs available at this time. I would love to be able to get ahead on the credit card bills or even just save some money in a savings account.

With a full-time job, lots of volunteer work, and not as young as I used to be (and could stay up all hours), I wondered how realistic it is. Any advice or warnings?

One thing I considered is how much time I would be away from my darling cat - I don't mind so much during the day since she probably snoozes in the sun and/or plays with her many toys, but if I was gone all day, then most nights I wonder if she would be anxious or angry. Am I nuts?

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently have 3 jobs. I'm a nanny, throw papers and groom dogs. Its tough and really busy. LOL I get up at 5 to go watch Kaidence. I usually get off at around 3-5. Every Thursday after work I throw American Classifieds. Then whenever someone calls me about grooming their dogs I do that.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
from the end of next week onwards i will have two jobs.
With my current job i sometimes work 13 hours a day, and it is really hard.
I mean i am only 20, but after a few days of only having 4 and a half hours of sleep, my brain literally stops working and i start to feel like im about to collapse.

But i mean if you want to cut down your volounteer work and start working for xmas for extra money then why not? after the xmas season you can go back on doing your volounteer work and youve saved some $$

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I work 2 jobs and have for probably 9 of the last 10 years
I'm 28, almost 29, and let me tell you its getting old
but I would be totally bored if I didn't work
I have an office job during the week and on the weekends I work in a restaurant, so i work 7 days a week, but one thing I will not/can not do anymore is work both jobs on the same day, I used to do this when i was in my early 20s but then I was with my ex and the ex let the dog out and fed the cats when he got home, and i also had alot more energy
but i really don't mind working 2 jobs, it enables to have all my kitties and if i didn't work I'd have to do something like CLEAN!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always think I should get a part time job..that way I could afford a newer car. BUT I know my boss is against it, and Trout would be lonely..I already feel bad leaving her for 10 hours a day..She gets PMSy if I leave her for too long

It depends on your cat I guess..Is your kitty really independant or does he need alot of cuddles and attention?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Astrid is a mystery - as are most cats I suppose. She was feral and very skittish and not cuddly - but just recently I have been able to pick her up and give her "huggles" where she purrs and head butts me as I stroke her and nuzzle her. Sometimes she is very needy and vocal.

I think the finances are going to determine what I do. I got hit for a rent increase of $150 a month this year and it is killing my budget and making me use the credit cards more than I want (for groceries and gas etc.).

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just picked up a second job as a PartyLite candle consultant. I had my first party, got my display kit, and I have 7 parties booked so far for November. I'll have a web page up and running soon too, where folks can buy the candles from me right online.

I'm really hoping that this works out for me - my day job in sales is a 45 hour a week job, and my income, including commissions, has NOT kept up with the costs of living here, so I had to do SOMETHING.

I can't worry about how the kits feel about it - I need to work to keep them fed, cared for and happy, so the sacrifice has to happen.

I used to do a LOT more volunteer work, but after having helped to raise over a quarter million dollars in the last 5-6 years, it's time now for me to help raise money for ME, which in turn will allow me to give even more later.

It's all about finding the right balance for yourself.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I just picked up a second job as a PartyLite candle consultant. I had my first party, got my display kit, and I have 7 parties booked so far for November. I'll have a web page up and running soon too, where folks can buy the candles from me right online.

I'm really hoping that this works out for me - my day job in sales is a 45 hour a week job, and my income, including commissions, has NOT kept up with the costs of living here, so I had to do SOMETHING.

I can't worry about how the kits feel about it - I need to work to keep them fed, cared for and happy, so the sacrifice has to happen.

I used to do a LOT more volunteer work, but after having helped to raise over a quarter million dollars in the last 5-6 years, it's time now for me to help raise money for ME, which in turn will allow me to give even more later.

It's all about finding the right balance for yourself.
I did that for a bit, but I am SO NOT a sales person, plus I got addicted to partylite and spent way too much money on it myself
you'll have to let us know what your website is, they can ship directly to the customer, right? I love love love Partylite candles, they are the bestest in the whole world... although I do have some pretty silly kitties, Hermes has already fried his tail on the Glade candle
so i'll have to be careful

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I did that for a bit, but I am SO NOT a sales person, plus I got addicted to partylite and spent way too much money on it myself
you'll have to let us know what your website is, they can ship directly to the customer, right? I love love love Partylite candles, they are the bestest in the whole world... although I do have some pretty silly kitties, Hermes has already fried his tail on the Glade candle
Yes, I will, and yes, they will ship directly to you. I'm in sales all day as it is, so I actually think I should be pretty good at it, if I can just get the bookings.

What I learned about these candles and love SO much is the low melting temperature - if they get knocked over, the wax will put out the wick and they won't start a fire!

Of course, I DO have to watch out for kitty tails, especially since mine are both really, REALLY fluffy, LOL...

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes, I will, and yes, they will ship directly to you. I'm in sales all day as it is, so I actually think I should be pretty good at it, if I can just get the bookings.

What I learned about these candles and love SO much is the low melting temperature - if they get knocked over, the wax will put out the wick and they won't start a fire!

Of course, I DO have to watch out for kitty tails, especially since mine are both really, REALLY fluffy, LOL...
Great! I like how the candle completely liquefies, looks so pretty in the stemmed trio thing, I can't remember the name.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you can handle a second job then it's a great idea. Personally I am always exhausted from working 1 full-time job so I couldn't imagine working any more.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forget-Me-Not

Tis the season..etc. I have been considering a second job to get some extra money this holiday season and I was wondering if anyone else does this. Actually, I don't spend alot on Christmas gifts since I don't have kids or even an immediate family, but there are more jobs available at this time. I would love to be able to get ahead on the credit card bills or even just save some money in a savings account.

With a full-time job, lots of volunteer work, and not as young as I used to be (and could stay up all hours), I wondered how realistic it is. Any advice or warnings?

One thing I considered is how much time I would be away from my darling cat - I don't mind so much during the day since she probably snoozes in the sun and/or plays with her many toys, but if I was gone all day, then most nights I wonder if she would be anxious or angry. Am I nuts?
I do this (or try to do this) every year. Problem I have is nobody wants to hire me. They go for the young teenage kids with nothing better to do. I've got a full time day job and most of these places haven't hired me because they know if anything goes on with my day job, their job takes a back seat. That shouldn't be the deciding factor. If I put in a job application and tell you I will be there - then I will be there. Ticks me off! I went through 15 places last year till I found something. Up to 8 this year and no luck yet. I just want a couple days a week. Not for Christmas, but it becomes my oil money for the winter.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

I just want a couple days a week. Not for Christmas, but it becomes my oil money for the winter.
That is exactly the reason I took on the candle sales job - gotta stay warm, never mind keep the truck in gasoline!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since my severance pay ended Sept 30th and my "real" job of landscaping is practically done for the year I was thinking of picking up a job at the mall as they are always looking for christmas help. The bad thing the hours SUCK!!!
Every Fri Sat Sun from now until the 1st week January plus Christmas eve, the day after etc. My sis come for Christmas so that won't work already plus when would I see DH if I am working weekends???
I was thinking of asking at our small town video store as he hires HS kids during the summer but they are back in school and would work the hours I don't. It wouldn't be alot of $$ but it would get me out of the house!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

My site is up and running - barely
to get a catalog and place an order, just get me your info here: www.partylite.biz/buyfrombetsy

You will have to place your order through me until I get the online ordering into place, but I'm working on that.

I'm scared and nervous and excited, and I hope I'll be successful at this!
Meowmy needs to feed her kitties!

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I work 2 jobs at the moment. I clean an office between 6am-7am every morning, I do my "regular" 8:45am-5:30pm job in interior design and then do another cleaning job from 6pm-7pm.

It's difficult, especially since my partner and I recently moved in together and we barely see one another because he starts work at 3:30am - 2pm daily and he rarely gets into bed later than 9pm!

Give it a go but take our advice... try to not overdo it and remember, don't stress yourself out just because you need the extra money.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My site is up and running - barely
to get a catalog and place an order, just get me your info here: www.partylite.biz/buyfrombetsy

You will have to place your order through me until I get the online ordering into place, but I'm working on that.

I'm scared and nervous and excited, and I hope I'll be successful at this!
Meowmy needs to feed her kitties!
you can make really decent money with Partylite, just don't become your own best customer like I did
candles are addictive!!!